Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Keep stock parts or not?  (Read 4407 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Keep stock parts or not?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »

I thought part of owning an HD was to have boxes full of parts for it. ;D

It's required for ture ownership sell the parts and you will be stripped of your membership [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:47:20 AM by VAZHOG »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 11:27:26 AM »

Very good topic 103, I don’t know how I should vote cause I still have all the parts for both my cvo’s but am contemplating selling the original stuff.
When I was young (senior in high school) I purchased a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 magnum engine. Being young I modified the heck out of it, I had this car for 20 years and over the coarse of time it wound up a 9.90 et pro-gas car. There was a time it could have been returned to bone stock and I thought about that before chopping it going to fiberglass and tying it together with a roll cage but being young I would trade parts and sell parts for the funds. From the factory the car had an 8-track, hood scoops, hood pins, mags with raised white letter tires, Dana 60 rear, Black buckets with a counsel, a super bee stripe and the coolest thing is in the back corner windows it had these little bees with tires for back legs that look like they were spinning. Till this day I miss that car, and by the way it was red like my Fatboy.
The Harley’s resale value doesn’t seem to be worth keeping the parts to make it worth the while but getting back to my Challenger: they weren’t worth much either, look at the price of a bone stock red 70 R/T with a 440 now.
Puzzled……..Roy

I almost went there in my post.  You couldn't have a better (worse) example  than your Challenger for guys our age.

One of my best friends had a Judge, another a GT350 Mustang.  These were new cars while we were in or just out of high school.

As a Porsche dealer, over the years people ask about keeping there Porsche as a collector.  Similar to many of our bikes, Porsche makes to large a run of the cars to have them hold value in the short term.  Many of them have a value greater than there original value if held 20 or 30 years, but it is only the RS, Speedster, 959, types that were built in very low numbers that are like that and they were very low volume cars.

Sure some of the standard stuff has a good value at 30 to 50 years, but they too are rare now as many sit in bone yards or are totally gone.

A lot of water goes under the bridge before the market comes around on value.  I'd rather have all the memories of your pro gas R/T.  Granted it would be great to still have the R/T, we know it wouldn't ever get sold though.  So think of the good stuff and remember the good times that R/T delivered Roy.

Hell, if I hadn't sold my 74 Dino Ferrari in 1979 for $18,500 I could have sold it when Enzo died for around $250,000.00.  Oh, but I wouldn't be a car dealer today either.  The twists and turns of fate I guess.

Anyway, somebody will get my bike down the road when HD builds another that I like better or I get to where I can't get on it anymore, until then the mods keep comin' and the wheels keep rollin' [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Now, should I get out in the garage and eBay the stuff off my old bikes........nah, I'll just keep starin' at the boxes on the shelves.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:38:32 AM by Rjob749 »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »

Very good topic 103, I don’t know how I should vote cause I still have all the parts for both my cvo’s but am contemplating selling the original stuff.

When I was young (senior in high school) I purchased a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 magnum engine. Being young I modified the heck out of it, I had this car for 20 years and over the coarse of time it wound up a 9.90 et pro-gas car. There was a time it could have been returned to bone stock and I thought about that before chopping it going to fiberglass and tying it together with a roll cage but being young I would trade parts and sell parts for the funds. From the factory the car had an 8-track, hood scoops, hood pins, mags with raised white letter tires, Dana 60 rear, Black buckets with a counsel, a super bee stripe and the coolest thing is in the back corner windows it had these little bees with tires for back legs that look like they were spinning. Till this day I miss that car, and by the way it was red like my Fatboy.

The Harley’s resale value doesn’t seem to be worth keeping the parts to make it worth the while but getting back to my Challenger: they weren’t worth much either, look at the price of a bone stock red 70 R/T with a 440 now.

Puzzled……..Roy

Want to make yourself really feel like chit, watch Barrett-Jackson auction next week on the speed channel.
I've had 65 and 67 vettes, 67 GTO, 65 T-bird w, hard convt top that had 7 hyd. motors to auto. fold the top in the trunk and a 70 SS 396. All were convertables and every one in C-1 to C-2 shape. Did not sell a single one for as much as I had in them but did have a ball restoring them. Point is, everyone of those I sold under 20K. I have to stay away from a few of my friends for a few weeks after the Barrett-Jackson auctions, I get so damn sick of hearing "don't you wish you had held onto those" or "man you f-cked-up bad not keeping those".
I bet you will see a few Challenger R/T 440, 6-packs and Hemis go in the $100,000.00 + range. What did you pay, 5K? :'(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:30:57 AM by MJZ »

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »

I usually keep the take off parts in the boxes that the new part came in, then I let my friends root through the boxes and take whatever they need or want for their scoots. I do keep all of the fasteners and cables because you never know when the need will arise for wearable part or that elusive fastener at 11 o'clock at night. I also kept my stock exhaust as well.  Out,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

twincam

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »

and then again..... I redid my 05 ultra with the flames collection, when it came time to trade it in for my 06 SEUC, I took all the flmes off and returned it original. I did get a high trade in even with 20,000 on the 1 year old bike... but I still have all the flames in the shop... anyone interested??????? ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »

Take off parts?  Never had to worry about it much.  My bike is pretty much stock after all.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 12:34:16 PM »

Take off parts?  Never had to worry about it much.  My bike is pretty much stock after all.
Not sure about the bike being stock, but somebody is stock full of..... ::) ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Hey!!  I saw that!   ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »

I still have stock parts from my '85 FXWG, which I still own. Like Q said, some of these things come in handy sometimes. If something happens, I put the old part on until I can replace it again. I'm never selling my Wide Glide, but never considered selling any parts form it. I've been able to help friends that needed something too. I've also had 4 RKs since '95. I take any mods off and put the original stuff back on, before trading it in. Then I put the mods on the new one. Since this SERK is special, I'm using new stuff for the mods and I'm selling the '03 as is. I'll always have boxes of stuff in my garage though. I like it that way. As long as I have room, I'll never sell the take-offs. ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

[size=18]Totally........[/size] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »

Where's Jerry's "blue arrow" picture? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 01:16:50 PM »

Where's Jerry's "blue arrow" picture? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Oh, you mean these.... [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »

Not sure that I have any stuff left from the 76 FLH, but the wife caught the kids on it one day. (circa 1982)

Just after she put them on it and got the pic they dumped it getting off.  No one was hurt, neither was the bike, but she was a bit embarassed to tell me I needed to go in the garage and pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 01:21:20 PM by Rjob749 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »

Oh, you mean these.... [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

I knew you'd come through for me, Gary! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 21 queries.