Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!  (Read 4108 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

Yesterday morning the guy in front of my truck stopped for stop sign and dropped his bike(ROAD GLIDE). He could not pick it up himself. got out and helped him get it back on two wheels. got me to wondering how or what i should hold or grip where and how to pick my cuse back up. anyone know of a proper way of doing this with just yourself performing this task? man just thinking about this makes my back hurt. anyone encounter this or know the best way to get the bike up on its wheels without help.   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »

With the ride like a pro and the advanced riders courses I have seen them show you how a woman can stand up a FLH
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

With the ride like a pro and the advanced riders courses I have seen them show you how a woman can stand up a FLH
do they have video courses?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »

This is their site :

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »

Check with Mark ironhorse.

He teaches ride like a pro and prolly the best to ask about that.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »

Check 'er out

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »

Check 'er out

he certainly has a technique. that is something i do not want to practice though. i hope i can remember if it happens to me. thanks for the link?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »

;)

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »

If you are going to ride, you had better know how to pick the bike up.  No one who has done any significant amount of riding has never dropped their bike. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:18 AM »

that is something i do not want to practice though.

Actually that IS something you should practice. Like ALL things motorcycle related, practice is key and it's not that hard. Strip your bike of bags, protect your crashbars with heater hose secured with duct tape and gently set it down on the crashbar on a level surface. Follow the video, put your butt in the seat, palm down grasp the inside grip and pull it into the tank. Grab the rear crashbar with your other hand, and like Jerry said, use a soft tie to help get a better lower hold. If you don't have a soft tie, take your belt off and loop it around the rear foot peg. With your shoulders square use your legs to take small steps to upright the bike. Your back should not be supporting any weight. Keep your head any eyes up and looking out the whole time.

Hope this helps.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:39:11 AM »

Squat down on the fallen side of the bike, lower back and butt get placed against the side of the seat, slowly take short steps backwards, begin raising your hips at the same time as the bike starts to right on both wheels.

Works the quads hard but its the safest and quickest way I've ever tried.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »

Murphy's got it right.

I dropped my 2011 CVO Street Glide after I stopped at a light and put my foot down in a hole. Couldn't help it, the traffic stopped in perfect position for me. Yeah! .

I weigh a whopping 160 lbs. I got off, picked it up, restarted and drove off before the light changed. Sucked but when you put your foot in a 6" deep pothole on a down hill left to right slope you're pretty much guaranteed to set it down. I almost saved it but it went down in slow motion as my 160 lbs gave into the 800+ lb machine.

I learned this trick several years ago when I was looking for my first Harely. I told the saleswoman that I didn't think I could pick up a Deuce. She (about 5'-2", 110 lbs) called another salesman over and they laid down a Wide Glide. Without much effort she stood it right back up.

They are heavy and you'll need to grunt a little but she will stand back up. No problem.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Any bike is easy to pick up with the right technique. I saw a guy in the ride like a pro class I attended pick up his Ultra Classic at least 10 times during the four hour class.

If I did not know how to pick up my bike I would not leave the house.  :nixweiss:

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

I have dropped the bike ....ejem ...  more than once!!! Is a FLTRUSE 900 Lbs beast. I lifted it off the ground , alone with this technique. It works , is fast and safe!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Actually that IS something you should practice. Like ALL things motorcycle related, practice is key and it's not that hard. Strip your bike of bags, protect your crashbars with heater hose secured with duct tape and gently set it down on the crashbar on a level surface. Follow the video, put your butt in the seat, palm down grasp the inside grip and pull it into the tank. Grab the rear crashbar with your other hand, and like Jerry said, use a soft tie to help get a better lower hold. If you don't have a soft tie, take your belt off and loop it around the rear foot peg. With your shoulders square use your legs to take small steps to upright the bike. Your back should not be supporting any weight. Keep your head any eyes up and looking out the whole time.

Hope this helps.

After taking Mark's (Ironhorse) course, Ride Like A Pro West Coast.....   http://www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com/ , my wife dropped her bike on her way home from work.  Nobody around.....she got it up by her self. :2vrolijk_21:

Here's a couple You Tube videos of Mark's course.....    

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »

it's not all that easy as those videos suggest if the bike is on it's left side and on uneven surface - as mostly in real life  ;D

So never forget to kick in the 1st gear before picking it up.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

Any bike is easy to pick up with the right technique. I saw a guy in the ride like a pro class I attended pick up his Ultra Classic at least 10 times during the four hour class.

If I did not know how to pick up my bike I would not leave the house.  :nixweiss:

It would be better not to leave the house until you know how to keep it up-right on two wheels. Just an idea. :2vrolijk_21:

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »

Knowing the Ultra was 300lbs heavier than my Wide Glide...  I laid thick pieces of cardboard under each contact point and gently put the Ultra down on it's left side... using the technique as mentioned in previous post... I managed to lift her back up... mind you I wouldn't call it an easy task... but it most certainly can be done.  I think the trick though is to hope that if it happens during a real world encounter... neither your legs nor shoulders are injured.  Safe Riding Everyone.  I'm counting the days.   8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:18:25 PM by T-Hawk »
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »

it's not all that easy as those videos suggest if the bike is on it's left side and on uneven surface - as mostly in real life  ;D

So never forget to kick in the 1st gear before picking it up.

You notice that all of the videos show the techinique on a pretty level, and paved surface.  It is not quite that easy if you are on a gravel surface, with terrible footing, and the bike is laying downhill.  Sometimes, brute strength or a helping hand is required....  :oops:
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

Well there are some things you can do if the surface is tilted or less than ideal. If the bike starts rolling make sure it's in gear. If you can't get it in gear, take your jacket off, roll it up and wedge it under the back of the rear tire to keep the bike from moving. If the surface is uneven, and you are having difficulty raising the bike, consider using a "temporary support". Take your helmet and set it down by your feet. As you raise the bike up 4, 6, 8 inches or whatever, kick the helmet under the bike. This will hold the bike up while you reset your body and grip into a better pick up position. I don't advocate using a helmet in a manner not intended, but once again these are small things you can do when you are by yourself.

As for the rider who dropped his bike 10 times in class, I applaud his determination. In his effort to improve, he was no doubt pushing himself beyond his comfort zone.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »

It would be better not to leave the house until you know how to keep it up-right on two wheels. Just an idea. :2vrolijk_21:
That is true but chit happens.  Dropped mine about ten years ago pulling into a gas station when someone backed up quickly without looking.  Made me stop with the front wheel past the dip going to the parking area and the rear wheel still on the pavement.  Needless to say when I went to put my foot down the ground was farther away than my leg was long and over she went in slow motion.  Not a crash, just a gentle settle to the left.  

Glad you have a perfect riding score (I guess  :nixweiss:) but in the real world sometimes things happen to the best riders in spite of their skill.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »

Right on.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »

That is true but chit happens.  Dropped mine about ten years ago pulling into a gas station when someone backed up quickly without looking.  Made me stop with the front wheel past the dip going to the parking area and the rear wheel still on the pavement.  Needless to say when I went to put my foot down the ground was farther away than my leg was long and over she went in slow motion.  Not a crash, just a gentle settle to the left.  

Glad you have a perfect riding score (I guess  :nixweiss:) but in the real world sometimes things happen to the best riders in spite of their skill.

It was only said to put a little humor on the posting.  Lightnen up a little and smile. I have been on a motorized bike of one type or another, with a LEGAL motorcycle liscence for about 48 years, and have ridden well over 250 thousand miles on two wheels. I and probably everyone on this site realize chit happens. I for one have been in two wrecks over the years that were both while sitting still at a red light, and hit from the rear. Both times I needed help up-righting the bike, as I was laying in the road. Sorry, but I do not remember saying anything about having a perfect riding score (although those are the ONLY accidents I have EVER been involved in). I was stupid many years ago and left a front wheel lock on an Ultra at a motel. Lightly laid it over, and adrenaline helped me up-right the bike with NO problem. It helps when you look up and see everyone with a smirk on their face. At my age, I can only hope I do not have to up-right the Ultra by myself, but if it should happen, I do know the technique. The question is ----- are all of the circumstances going to line up in my favor?

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:04 AM »

they say confession is good for the soul, so I can say that I have layed over several bikes with the largest being the road glide I had last.  All of those events took place during cross country rides and all took place on sandy or gravel roads.  You would think I would learn my lesson and stay off those roads, but I guess I like to tempt fate.  The technique they teach does work on a nice flat dry pavement road, but Lord help you if you go over on uneven gravel/sand.  To make matters worse, I had removed the crash guard off the bike for a "sportier" look.  Trust me it didn't look to sporty laying over on the handle bars.  I'm a big guy, but it took three of us to get that beast vertical again.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

When I got back to riding again after a 30+ years of hiatus, I started practicing on a 1200 sportster custom (don't laugh) I needed to get my "feet wet again".  Anyway, while practicing very slow speed maneuvers in a nice parking lot the bike just fell over.  I should have just jumped off, but my instinct was to stay on to muscle it back up! Now it was not 900 lbs, but felt like it to me then.  Anyway, not a scratch on the brand new bike, but injured my shoulder while pushing it back up...still going for physical therapy almost a year later!

Lesson 1, if it's going to fall over jump off and let it
Lesson 2, try real hard not to fall! :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:19:35 PM by 110 Mofo »

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
Re: you have dropped your bike.. CVO paint to fix a scuff?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 01:40:56 PM »

Day before yesterday I was on the way home and dropped mine within a block of the house.  Beach Boulevard was full of blown sand and when they cleaned it up they pushed a foot deep layer into the turn bay.  I have to take this route since I live on the beach road.  The median crossover was also dusted with an inch or more of sand.  I had managed this turn before with the sand but today some ahole was right on my butt and I couldn't slow enough.  Sure enough once onto the median crossover the bike started to slide and went out from under me as I turned left.  Down I went.

Thanks to the stock front and rear guards no damage was done except to scuff them and a half inch of the lower edge of the left fairing lower.  A bit of road rash on my knee, scuffed my left boot, and separated a couple ribs but nothing serious.  By the way, NEVER take off those guards, they will protect your bike from serious damage and keep your foot/leg from getting stuck underneath in a situation like I encountered.  A new front guard is 196 and the rear is 60 from hd if I choose to replace 'em, cheap compared to new saddlebags and fairing lowers and everything else that would get ruined in a side slide.

I have picked up my previous bike, an '03 ultra before wth no trouble but this time I was on an incline with the bike on the left side.  Also don't have the handy passenger grab rail I had used before.  Plus the sand made it impossible to get a secure footing.  I'm 6 feet plus and 195 pounds but it wouldn't budge.  Nice technique at Ridelikeapro but if your fully loaded dresser is on a downhill incline on a sandy surface you can forget it.  Thankfully some folks stopped immediately to see if I was hurt and to help.

After 30 years of riding I have dropped mine a total of 4 times and only once from my own stupidity.  If you get into a situation where you can't possibly pick it up yourself get the helper to stand on the topside footboard and pull on the handlebar while you push from the other side.  Easy to stand it up that way.

Now for the paint fix:  Does anyone know where to get paint to match the rio red other than the little 60 bux bottle of touch up that hd sells?  (I have a call in to House of Kolor and if they get back with a good match I will post it.)

Thanks

Sledge
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

I happy to hear you are all right. Good luck getting the paint codes!

Keep the shiney side up!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:06 PM »

So far after over 170,000 miles I never dropped mine,,,,,

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »

... but this time I was on an incline with the bike on the left side.  Also don't have the handy passenger grab rail I had used before.  Plus the sand made it impossible to get a secure footing.  I'm 6 feet plus and 195 pounds but it wouldn't budge ...  

just drag the bike to the next level parking lot with appropriate surface - if neccessary have it cleaned up a little. Most cars have a towline and will joyfully assist - and the guards are scratched anyway   :D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:48 AM »

So far after over 170,000 miles I never dropped mine,,,,,

Do not get too cocky ---  as they say  ---  dress for the crash  --- not the ride.   Just sayin ;)

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »

I agree 100%. ATGATT

Do not get too cocky ---  as they say  ---  dress for the crash  --- not the ride.   Just sayin ;)

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »

"just drag the bike to the next level parking lot with appropriate surface - if neccessary have it cleaned up a little. Most cars have a towline and will joyfully assist - and the guards are scratched anyway"

Kraut you crack me up man!!  Drag the bike with a tow strap,  :D.  I needed a good laugh today.

Man I am so proud of all you guys that never dropped yours.  I can't believe you've never backed it out of the driveway with the wife on back, who has just discovered a bee in her helmet, while at the same time you step into a big wet pile of dog doo, and a deer runs out of the woods and hits you and you lose your footing.  You guys are so lucky.

Sledge
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:15:13 PM by Sledge »
Arlo Guthrie

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:15:41 AM »

you are quite right, Sledge - there are some scenarios when the bike will inevitably fall however skillfull the rider may be. Big part of riders skills is not to enter such scenarios  ::)

When I restarted riding some 13 years ago with a Road King I dropped her quite frequently until I had learned to avoid those situations - I just don't ride two up downhill in sand and try to make a sudden turn anymore for instance  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »

Tell that to the bee and the deer, and oh don't forget the dog.

;D
Arlo Guthrie
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 21 queries.