Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I hate the new HD web page that is partitioning riders by gender and race.  (Read 2366 times)

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member

Flame me out if you will.  I hate the new HD web page that is “partitioning” riders by gender and race.  I fully know that in this VERY politically correct world no one dares to say anything, but I just do not think this is a very good idea on Harley’s partl.  Damn it, we are ALL riders of a special brand of motorcycle, nothing more.  Knock off the Lady riders and the African-American riders and just put RIDERS on the web page.  My opinion of this matter will most likely get me shut down but I have also HAND written a letter to HD Corporate and Investor Relations.  Will it make any difference, I’m sure it won’t, but is sure does to me.    I know a few very narrow minds will see this as just some racist and gender biased comment, but it’s not.   :soapbox:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Wasn't real sure what you were suggesting.  But you suggested it without enough excitement to get my interest.  Went to the HD website, clicked a few links, even logged in and checked the individual profile but couldn't find a thing.  Share a link to the offending section if you would?

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member

HD web site, front page, large top banner...  there is about 5 different topics that show up. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

HD web site, front page, large top banner...  there is about 5 different topics that show up. 

Still not seeing whatever it is that is the concern.  Just looked at the HD homepage again (at least as it presents on my screen).  Only thing I find that "segregates" by any group whatsoever is the drop downs under the "apparel" header.  Admittedly, I'm a major hottie in a little strapless summer thing but even so I don't have a real issue with Mother Harley breaking the clothes down by kids, gals and guys.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

Look under the Community Tab.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Look under the Community Tab.

Got it Mark.  Thanks.  Had to dig further than a simple scan as didn't know what an "Iron Elite" or a "Harlista" was until clicking those selections. 

Major marketers market differently to different ethnic, gender and/or racial groups all the time.  So in and of itself what's there isn't anything new nor particularly unusual from a marketing perspective.  From a product perspective, however, it does seem a little odd. 

Even though with things like the different "Bike Week" events we all know there are target audiences that are collectively different some of the time the damn bikes have for such a long time been something whose reach was to an individual no matter who or what that individual was.  And we, mostly, recognize each other as individuals when we find each other out on the open road.  That's as it should be. 

Harley breaking its marketing down so blatantly and so directly isn't something I'd prefer to see.  But I'm a white bread white guy from the midwest so I'm the wrong guy to speak to how such a presentation impacts those the marketing targets.  I know I don't care for it.  I don't care who a rider is, what a rider rides or even who a rider rides so long as they enjoy the ride and don't bug me with their weirdness (if they have any).  But someone who is the target of the break down marketing should be the one to suggest what impression or impact it has on them.

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member

Front page, scrolling headliners/topics.   Look at the 6 little orange boxes, click on #6. 

I am a retired EEO investigator for a Fortune 100 company; just don't appreciate any racial stove pipes…. I’m tired of it, it has no purpose or place, is inclusive only to those highlighted, exclusive to all others, that is all I’m saying. 

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

I just checked "other" then wrote in Human...I think I am right, others may argue.  :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

I just checked "other" then wrote in Human...I think I am right, others may argue.  :drink:

I wanted to check "Pacifist."  They didn't have that either.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

It is a bit odd that HD is doing this, although "women riders" have been a specific target for a while now, with specific models being geared towards them, more because of stature than anything else, IMO.  That they are further segregating groups is a little personally distasteful, though sometimes members of those groups tend to segregate themselves...that is their choice, not mine.

Having worked in HRM for a very large University, I have seen it all.  Not always pleasant.  Obviously, marketing studies have suggested that HD pursue this method of advertising.  Time will tell how effective it is.

I do not personally care who the rider is, what they ride, or what they might stand for in their personal beliefs, as long as they keep those beliefs to themselves and don't try to shove it down my throat or anyone elses.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty

Isn't the marketing of the CVO brand another form or partitioning? I realize that all races and genders can purchase one but it is marketing to a specific target isn't it? Sorry, I see a flame, I gotta throw some gas on it.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Isn't the marketing of the CVO brand another form or partitioning? I realize that all races and genders can purchase one but it is marketing to a specific target isn't it? Sorry, I see a flame, I gotta throw some gas on it.

Yea...but they don't have a "Total Lunatics that want to spend way too much money on a motorcycle" catagory.  :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member

Not really, any woman, man, white, black, hispanic, asian, muslim non english speaking person with
enough money and or credit can buy one...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?

I just checked "other" then wrote in Human...I think I am right, others may argue. 

:huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Love it Miker! I think their marketing consultants is clearly targeting specific groups, not unusual these days, but not welcome to a great many of us. Such is the quest for the almighty buck.

:drink:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member

There are only so many old white guys that ride. You have to play all the markets.

It's just part of the deal these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.