Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: new tire time  (Read 4937 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: new tire time
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »

They are scary slippery in the rain....especially a cold rain. AE next for me!

I had heard that before and is the main reason that I went AE over the Commander. Momma tried but she never got it across to me to get out of the rain
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 08:01:25 PM »

I had heard that before and is the main reason that I went AE over the Commander. Momma tried but she never got it across to me to get out of the rain

I've ran the Commander II tires on the Road Glide for years.  That bike also has never had the good sense to fully avoid the rain.  The Michelins have always been fine with me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »

They are scary slippery in the rain....especially a cold rain. AE next for me!

What you Canadians call a cold rain is probably what others might call sleet. ;D    I'm surprised you found the Michelins to have poor grip in the wet.  Other folks have told me just the opposite when comparing them to the stock Dunlops.  Now I'm confused.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 08:14:33 AM »

I’ve run Michs front and rear on both my 07 and 12 CVOs and never had any problem at all. And I rode in rain plenty of times and on curvy roads when wet. Never had any traction problem.  Any tire can have a traction problem given the road surface conditions, speed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »

What you Canadians call a cold rain is probably what others might call sleet. ;D    I'm surprised you found the Michelins to have poor grip in the wet.  Other folks have told me just the opposite when comparing them to the stock Dunlops.  Now I'm confused.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

I'm with you on the confused part Jerry. Confused enough that I might have to give the Commander's a try. Only got a couple thousand left in the present back AE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »

I'm with you on the confused part Jerry. Confused enough that I might have to give the Commander's a try. Only got a couple thousand left in the present back AE

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  My old Road Glide has gone though several rears and a few fronts.  It's my go-to choice.  Don't give it even a second thought.  The only down-side to them is not in their use or handling but in their installation; and this only applies if you're installing your own.  The sidewalls are stiffer than others so they're a bit more hassle to get mounted.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 12:08:36 AM »

I don't think you'll be disappointed.  My old Road Glide has gone though several rears and a few fronts.  It's my go-to choice.  Don't give it even a second thought.  The only down-side to them is not in their use or handling but in their installation; and this only applies if you're installing your own.  The sidewalls are stiffer than others so they're a bit more hassle to get mounted.
I am just finishing up the last few thousand on what I think is my 3 rear AE. You and a couple other on here seem to be very please with the Commander so I guess I will order a rear and give it a try. Any problems mixing the Commander on the rear with the AE up front?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 12:10:29 AM »

I am just finishing up the last few thousand on what I think is my 3 rear AE. You and a couple other on here seem to be very please with the Commander so I guess I will order a rear and give it a try. Any problems mixing the Commander on the rear with the AE up front?

No problem.  You'd never mix on the same axle of course.  But the ass end of the bike can't see what's going on at the front end.  They're the same type of tire; you'll be fine.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »

No problem.  You'd never mix on the same axle of course.  But the ass end of the bike can't see what's going on at the front end.  They're the same type of tire; you'll be fine.
Thank you Don

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »

Pulling the trailer through Vancouver last fall is where I really noticed it......especially taking off from a dead stop.....very easy to break free.......and while moving, any throttle would break it free.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »

another option to look at it is the new cobra chrome from avon.  i recently put a set on and was very happy with them.  at least for the 1000 miles or so that i got to ride on them before the bike got totaled.  i didn't have the opportunity to test the wet weather performance in that time, and obviously don't know about the longterm longevity, but i will buy them again when i need new tires.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »

another option to look at it is the new cobra chrome from avon.  i recently put a set on and was very happy with them.  at least for the 1000 miles or so that i got to ride on them before the bike got totaled.  i didn't have the opportunity to test the wet weather performance in that time, and obviously don't know about the longterm longevity, but i will buy them again when i need new tires.

Run them on the Road King.  A bit softer.  Won't last as long.  Handle well.  On that bike I don't care that they won't last as long.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »

are you talking about the older cobra's or the new chromes?  far as i can tell, they've only been out for about 6 months.  and their marketing says that they're utilizing a newer compound that will increase mileage.

admittedly, i wasn't as concerned with mileage when i decided to try these out.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »

Mine are much older than 6 months.  So not anything that recently released.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »

To put in my two pennies worth,....this is the first for me running Michelins and I've got to say at this point I'm liking them.
I find the bike feels and handles so much better. With the Dunlops it was like I was having to work the bike so much so that I would start getting a pain across the back of my shoulders and neck after a while, I thought it was due to the handlebars and was considering going for a change over.
Since I've had the Michelins on I haven't had any shoulder and neck pain problems don't know why but it's just an easier noticeable ride now. Just saying they work for me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.