Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley Recalls 174k Motorcycles for Potential Brake Failure  (Read 8582 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Harley Recalls 174k Motorcycles for Potential Brake Failure
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »

Had my fluid changed last year when I got the bike back went down the road and at the first stop sign the front brake lever was stuck had to down shift and hard on the rear brake sure was pucker time. Pulled to the side and forced the lever a few times before I continued on has been fine since.

You didn't say, but I'm going to assume a dealership did your fluid change.  Fine workmanship and attention to detail.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »

It was road tested extensively for safety reasons before giving it back to you.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »

I got my recall notice today!  They are giving me a "free flush" with their H-D Platinum Label DOT 4 Brake Fluid.  Wow, I am so glad the are concerned about my safety.

:oops: :nixweiss:

Yep, me too...
Also noted in the letter "If you previously paid to remedy the specific condition that is the subject of this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement" :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »

Yep, me too...
Also noted in the letter "If you previously paid to remedy the specific condition that is the subject of this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement" :2vrolijk_21:

Ditto here.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »

Yep, me too...

That's basically boilerplate.  Most if not all recalls I've seen include that statement.  Notice in this case they don't specify exactly what they "might" reimburse.  If you had to buy a new ABS pump and valve assembly, will they pay for that?  Or will they just pay if you already paid to have the specific recall action, flush and refill, done?  Usually if a manufacturer intends to pay for parts replaced before you were notified of the recall they spell it out in plain English.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Kent

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »

I was sick at the time and the dealer picked up and delivered back to me. New tires, battery, front brake rotor, compensator, stator and bearings and brake flush.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »

So if you replace the fluid with the "new and Improved" brake fluid are you still required to flush the system every 2 years . I assumed it was a problem in the type and caliber of the fluid used originally? Guess not. My guess is this is a litigation strategy to get in front of potential law suits for failures. You crash and haven't followed the owners manual guidelines for service your loss.

J.D.

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 06:51:32 PM »

Interesting theory, as DIY doesn't count since the anti-lock system doesn't bleed properly without the H-D machine.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »

So if you replace the fluid with the "new and Improved" brake fluid are you still required to flush the system every 2 years.
Yes.  The recall letter has a Warning sheet to add to the owner's manual that says to flush DOT4 fluid every two years, or sooner if the amount of water in the brake fluid exceeds 3%.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »

That's basically boilerplate.  Most if not all recalls I've seen include that statement.  Notice in this case they don't specify exactly what they "might" reimburse.  If you had to buy a new ABS pump and valve assembly, will they pay for that?  Or will they just pay if you already paid to have the specific recall action, flush and refill, done?  Usually if a manufacturer intends to pay for parts replaced before you were notified of the recall they spell it out in plain English.

Jerry

Jerry:

I think it is also fair to ask if the system has a warranty for any period of time after being serviced.

The system could be bled/flushed with new fluid and road tested only to have the internal ABS components fail at a later date.

As far as the fluid being new and improved, my understanding is that all DOT4 fluid needs to be redone every couple of years.

Regards

Jerry also

mark

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »

Jerry:

I think it is also fair to ask if the system has a warranty for any period of time after being serviced.

The system could be bled/flushed with new fluid and road tested only to have the internal ABS components fail at a later date.

As far as the fluid being new and improved, my understanding is that all DOT4 fluid needs to be redone every couple of years.

Regards

Jerry also

I think you've hit the nail on the head - the brake service recall call was a lesser-cost preemptive strike to put a band aid on the problem.  I'm sure the bean counters balked at a complete ABS replacement.  This is just kicking the can down the road to keep Uncle Sugar at bay.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »

I think you've hit the nail on the head - the brake service recall call was a lesser-cost preemptive strike to put a band aid on the problem.  I'm sure the bean counters balked at a complete ABS replacement.  This is just kicking the can down the road to keep Uncle Sugar at bay.   

They've already had many lawsuits on this issue, but of course we never hear about the outcomes.  They've been kicking a lot of cans down the road over the years, and settling a lot of lawsuits with nondisclosure agreements firmly attached, rather than do the right thing and actually fix problems.  They got away with it for decades on various safety related issues, but I kind of wonder if that strategy is losing it's effectiveness.  NHTSA spent those same decades ignoring all the complaints and evidence of safety related defects, but in recent years we've actually seen recalls on stuff Harley used to always blow off by blaming customers, like saddlebags falling off for instance.  Their fixes tended to be a joke, but at least they were having to 'fess up about having a problem.  This particular issue with the ABS system was potentially expensive enough to cause them to haul out the old strategy, but I doubt it's going to work that well in the long term.  As I noted before, plenty of early Harley ABS systems failed long before old fluid should have had any affect, and most other companies using ABS have not had the same issues.

JMHO - Jerry

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 25 queries.