Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MY acheing back  (Read 1472 times)

cigarmike

MY acheing back
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:35:10 PM »

For the third time now in 3 months, I have messed my back up again. This hinders my riding to say the least. Not to mention, Puts me out of work for a few days or more. I am fairly new to this problem, Who else has a bad back, and what do you do in order to get relieve and back to work faster??, Any help would be appreciated.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: MY acheing back
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »

Vitamin M 800 mg x3 daily.  
{ ranger candy}
aka Motrin

i feel for ya brother

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:56:07 PM »

More clearly, the prescription strength of motrin historically has been 800mg don't take 800mg x 3 all at the same time...

I have taken an  800mg dose, three times a day for a strained back (Muscular problem...from lift and twist)...but I am not a doctor, did not stay in a Holiday In Express...and don't know what I am talking about...however, I do have two sisters that are MDs...but being GIs probing people with the colonscope may not qualify them to offer back advise either!

/Bill

Vitamin M 800 mg x3 daily.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cigarmike

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »

HD dude is going to be mad, we tore his roof off his house to do an upstairs addition, and am trying to do it at nite and weekends....hope it doesnt Rain soon !!!  :D

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »

Mike...the Motrin will work, or Naproxen (generic version).  I've got a herniated lower disc from all those years of lifting, hard living, etc.  It finally got to the point of pinching the nerve running down the back of my leg, and that got my attention real fast.  Saw a Neurosurgeon here at UAB, got a CRT, then was referred to a Pain Clinic here at UAB.  Long story short...they gave me a steroid shot in the lower back right next to the place where the nerve and disc were touching...solved the problem for about 1 1/2 years...I've had one more about 3 months ago when it acted up a little.  If it's a disc, it's just going to keep coming back to bite you, but I'll take the shot over surgery until it gets to the point of no choice.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:40:54 PM »

More clearly, the prescription strength of motrin historically has been 800mg don't take 800mg x 3 all at the same time...

I have taken an

Pap

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »

For the third time now in 3 months, I have messed my back up again. This hinders my riding to say the least. Not to mention, Puts me out of work for a few days or more. I am fairly new to this problem, Who else has a bad back, and what do you do in order to get relieve and back to work faster??, Any help would be appreciated.

I've been battling this for the last 2.5 months.  What I've learned is everybody's situation is different.  Best thing you should do is see an orthopedic doc to make sure you don't have a condition that needs attention.  Drugs may buffer the pain but make sure you don't have something more serious.

Ride Safe,
Pap
There are risks and costs to a program of action.  But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 10:32:29 AM »

The only person I've ever met with recurring back pain who claims to have gotten rid of it has accupuncture once a month. I have to say, that if I had the problems you describe I would give it a try. I don't believe I've ever read anything about anyone suffering any injury or any side effects from accupuncture. What do you have to lose ?

Just my $0.02

Big B

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »

Mike, about eighteen years ago I had a discectomy (they removed two discs).  While I felt much better after the surgery and have been able to lead a better quality of life, it's not as good as it was.

I have back problems from time to time, every since then.  I used to go to the MDs and get the meds but now I go to the chiropracture.  It took sifting through four or five before I found one that helped instead of hurting me.  He was fresh out of chiropractic school when I first started going to him, so he was gentle with the hurt.  Fifteen years later, once in awhile I have to remind him that he used to be gentle......and he goes easy again.  Because I've been to so many chiropractures over the years (here and in the bay area) to find one that works for me......I now travel a good distance (about twenty five miles) to visit this guy when I need to.

I don't go on a regular basis (like they suggest).  I go when I hurt myself and for several or a few visits in a row after that, to get me stablized again........till my back goes out the next time.  That's my experience.  I empathize with you and can totally relate.  I hope you find something or someone that works for you.

J.C.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cigarmike

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 09:00:03 PM »

As far as Jim, he's easy but don't make his wife mad!
Or so I heard!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

The Motrin is helping, we got a lot done over the 3 day weekend...and Jims wife is awesome, but I saw her with a tape measure in her hand and made the mistake of telling her "Women arent allowed to touch the mens tools"..................See above quote.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 09:19:09 PM »

Costco giant size naproxene.....cheap.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 09:21:29 PM »

The Motrin is helping, we got a lot done over the 3 day weekend...and Jims wife is awesome, but I saw her with a tape measure in her hand and made the mistake of telling her "Women arent allowed to touch the mens tools"..................See above quote.
That sounds like after you got that tape measure surgically removed from the orifice she stuck it in you had forgotten all about your back pain. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:57:39 AM »

That sounds like after you got that tape measure surgically removed from the orifice she stuck it in you had forgotten all about your back pain. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d

[smiley=fireman.gif]

[smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 01:10:15 PM »

Mike,

I have had 2 lamenectomies in the last 8 years.  They leave the hard outer shell of the disk in place but remove the soft inner portion of the disk.  Totally relieved the pain and my back is fine.  I just have to watch out regarding high impact things like mountain biking, bumps and jumps while skiing, dirtbiking, etc.  
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 01:38:16 PM »

Mike,

I have to echo what has already been said.  Go see an Orthopedic clinic/surgeon/doc and get proper evaluated.  It may involve x-rays/c-scans and more, but it will well be worth it.   You've only got one back, don't make a bad situation worse without knowing what is causing the pain.  Pain killers only mask what is really going on.  If neglected, it is possible to wind up with permanent nerve damage that can't be fixed.

Having been a Union Ironworker in my younger years, I could write pages from first hand experience on this subject.  I had multiple injuries from a fall in June of 1982.  For me major surgery was the final solution...that and finding a new/sedentary career.  I still feel the aftermath every single day.

Take care, my friend.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.