Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4- tank sealer problems  (Read 2777 times)

dmdrider03

FXR4- tank sealer problems
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »

I opened gas cap a few minutes ago and noticed something odd 'floating' in the fuel. I reached in and it moved with my finger; it was obviously the tank liner starting to come off. Probably wouldn't have noticed it, but having the full tank caused it to 'float'.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what needs to be done?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: FXR4- tank sealer problems
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

I found the same in my Deuce when it was only two years old.  I noticed the older sealer was grey, I think the newer are black.  I think they all do it eventually.  I was able to look inside the Deuce tank and see that it all originated around the welds for the gas gauge wiring tube and the fuel bung and crossover tube.  Cleaning welds is very difficult especially in a confined area.
When I removed the fuel petcock on the carb. Deuce, the attached fuel screen was covered in the grey matter above the reserve level which is expected.  The filter screen is doing its job but needs to be reomved and cleaned often once you see the liner particles.
The injected models have a much more elaborate filter setup, but also cannot be ignored.  It would be much easier to fix crap in a carburetor than clogged FI pumps, regulators and injectors.

This is all my opinion BTW.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ican

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »

Same problem here, I'd buy a new tank if I could find one. Mine had a place where the clear coat was lifting when it was only 6 months old. over the years more places appeared. Local dealer first said it was bad paint, but then I noticed the rust color. Service mgr tried telling me it was normal. They were not going to do anything about it so thats the way it's been for the past 10 years.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »

I found the same in my Deuce when it was only two years old.  I noticed the older sealer was grey, I think the newer are black.  I think they all do it eventually.  I was able to look inside the Deuce tank and see that it all originated around the welds for the gas gauge wiring tube and the fuel bung and crossover tube.  Cleaning welds is very difficult especially in a confined area.
When I removed the fuel petcock on the carb. Deuce, the attached fuel screen was covered in the grey matter above the reserve level which is expected.  The filter screen is doing its job but needs to be reomved and cleaned often once you see the liner particles.
The injected models have a much more elaborate filter setup, but also cannot be ignored.  It would be much easier to fix crap in a carburetor than clogged FI pumps, regulators and injectors.

This is all my opinion BTW.

mines 11 years old now, hasn't done it yet, I hope the gas tank gods are not reading this ........
 :o
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

FXR4Jay

• Swamp Dweller
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:22:43 AM »

mines 11 years old now, hasn't done it yet, I hope the gas tank gods are not reading this ........
 :o

+1 On This One ...
Took me long Enough, but finally got my Dream Bike

TomL

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »

When did the Factory start sealing gas tanks? I, in all my years around HD's have not seen that is why I ask.  I've used the Kreem Sealer with excellent results once the interior has been prepped properly? TL

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.