Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXDX Forks on a FXR4  (Read 4274 times)

Photorider

FXDX Forks on a FXR4
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

I have a spare complete set of FXDX forks.

Thinking of putting them on the FXR4. Only issue is the lowers are not chrome, but can be solved.

Any thoughts? worth it?

I would of course keep my originals.

hellesjo

Re: FXDX Forks on a FXR4
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:53:30 PM »

I have owned 2 Sportster Sport 1200S with the same adjustable forks and I must say they are way better than unmodified standard 39 mm forks. How long are the FXDX fork compared with the originals? I guess you have to change shocks as well? The adjustable forks have much more travel and the damping actually works.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »

Hi
 My friend Mike has one of those front end on his FXRS with a Ultima 120" motor. I like the front end but he has the Progressive 970 rear shocks. My mechaniccs wife has FXDX rear shocks on her FXR-SP that are nice her Harley rear shocks are 13" long. Are they worth while  for a good used set? are they rebuildable?
Thanks,
Ltank

Photorider

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

I know the front forks are rebuild-able. I have a FXDX and have rebuilt the forks. I also have a spare set of FXDX rear shocks. Guess I better keep those in case I need them on the FXR4. I replaced the shocks on the FXDX with Works Trekkers since the progressive shocks which were on it when I bought it were horrible. They were also only 12". Why a person lowers a FXDX I have not a clue.

I don't have possession of the FXR4 yet. Its being shipped from back east - I'm in Oregon. I get to wait 5 weeks to see it. Murder.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

Hi Photorider,
 Are you getting the Tangereene or Yellow? I have yellow but like the other better but could not find one when Iwas ready to buy. You changed the FXDX with Works Trekkers on a Dyna. You will have a Dyna and a FXR4 ? What was wrong with the FXDX shocks? You are wanting to put them on your new FXR4? Well just in case you want to sell the FXDX shocks what would you want for them? What is the Eye to Eye length? How do you like the Trekkers? My stock FXR4 shocks fere too rough for the wife. I bought  Smooth Ride air shocks, not a smooth ride!!! Then I got Progressive air shocks but not impressed.
Thanks,
Ltank

Photorider

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:51 AM »

My FXR4 is yellow. Its hard to find the tangerine. Its funny there seems to be 4x yellow to tangerine. Go figure.
I don't have the bike in my hands yet. Its being shipped from back east so I am waiting.

When I bought my FXDX it was lowered and had progressive shocks on it. The progressive's were 12" shocks when a stock FXDX is 13.5". He also did the poor mans lowering of the forks (slide down in the triple trees). It road like crap. So I bought standard length (13.5") Works black trekkers and fixed the front. Now it handles great. You couldn't tear the Works away from me - I love them.

OK later I wanted to give the FXDX a new paint job, but want to keep my old tins the way they are. I found a bunch of parts from the same year FXDX close to me. The owner was redoing it like the Storx Dynalite. I bought the tins, shocks, forks, windshield and a host of others.

Long story short the extra forks I have and the stock FXDX shocks are not from my FXDX. Actually have never ridden it with stock shocks so I couldn't tell you how good they are compared to the Works or a standard FXR4 shock. However, The they are 2 way adj and other owners tell me they are better than normal dyna shocks so I thought I may try the forks and shocks on the new to me FXR4....

Personally - if you are looking to upgrade I would go with Works over the FXDX ones. They are made to your weight, are fully rebuild-able and the preform. Also the price isn't that much more than the going rate for stock FXDX one. One reason I thought of using them cause I have them :)

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.