Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Four quart oil change  (Read 2671 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Four quart oil change
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »

Regarding my 95 Heritage with S&S 107 engine and previously when it had a built 80 inch EVO. When I change the oil. I warm up the engine, drain the tank,refill the tank, pull the filter, put a oil catching device I cut out of a one gallon plastic milk jug (works great if you cut it right and is reusable),then before I install the new filter I start the engine and let it idle until about 1 quart comes out (measured in a pyrex glass container). Usually the first 20 to 25 ounces are really dirty oil that is still in the engine. As soon as it comes out clean , which  is usually before I get to 32 OZ. I shut off the motor and install the  new filter,start the engine to make sure the new filter is full of clean oil, then top off the oil tank. This way I feel as though I have all new oil and do not leave almost a quart of dirty oil in the engine. I read about this in an old book on EVO's called  101 Harley Davidson Performance Projects by  Kip Woodring.  I was just wondering if any of you other guys do this. I don't mind wasting a quart of oil to make sure my engine oil has been fully changed. DO NOT TRY THIS ON A TWIN CAM. THE OIL IS ROUTED A DIFFERENT WAY AND WITHOUT SPECIAL TOOLS THAT I HAVE SEEN FOR SALE IN SOME MAGAZINES YOU WILL HURT YOUR ENGINE. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Four quart oil change
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »

This method has been around a while and works fine.  On Evos the oil goes from the tank to the engine to the filter and back to the tank; on twin-cams it's the tank to the filter to the engine and back to the tank.  So you are correct not to try it on a TC, it would just drain the clean oil in the tank without any getting to the engine.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Pajoe

Re: Four quart oil change
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »

I use a cheap plastic device from Jireh Cycles that screws on in place of the oil filter and has a hose attached to it, after the oil change I run some of the oil  out and then put on the new filter. I don't know if it helps but it sure feels like a worthwhile effort.

97-304

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.