Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Swingarm bushings  (Read 14610 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Swingarm bushings
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:25 AM »

The cherry got diagnosed with worn swingarm bushings.  Since they need to be replaced, I'm considering the Sta-Bo's or something similar.  My questions:

1 - Do the Sta-Bo's really improve handling, etc?

2 - Do they make the ride much harsher?  I know when I did the neoprene bushings on a corvette the ride got a lot harsher.

Thanks!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hogasm

Re: Swingarm bushings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:35 AM »

I installed the Sta-Bo's in my 04 and the ride did become harsher. They did not take the sway out of the rear either.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »

Thanks Brian.  After looking at other boards and reading your reply, new stock bushings will be going on.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:31:10 AM »

The cherry got diagnosed with worn swingarm bushings.  Since they need to be replaced, I'm considering the Sta-Bo's or something similar.  My questions:

2 - Do they make the ride much harsher?  I know when I did the neoprene bushings on a corvette the ride got a lot harsher.

Thanks!

The jury's still out on the Sta-Bos. I made a lot of changes at once and need to filter the effects.

I do have increased vibration, but attribute most of that to the new urethane front motor mount, not the Sta-Bos. I'll know more when I swap back to the stock rubber mount for comparison. The rear-end does feel like it's on rails now, so I will have to disagree with Brian on that point, but I've only got about 800 miles on it so far. I haven't been around the I-75 sweeper that has given me problems in the past, but will do that soon.

I do detect some confusion between swingarm bushings and Sta-bo bushings. If you have worn swingarm bushings, you will have to replace them with standard swingarm bushings. Sta-Bo bushings for the 2002-present models are not replacements for the HD swingarm bushings. They are totally different animals, go in totally different locations and perform totally different functions.

Here's a thread I did when I had my bike apart. It shows all of the swingarm components so you can see the differences in the swingarm bushings and the Sta-Bos.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20764.0

Sta-Bo bushings are not replacements for swingarm bushings. I understand the confusion because of the 'bushing' term being used. They are both bushings but the swingarm bushings are the same type of bushings you're thinking of for your Corvette, they act as a bearing surface to control the angular pivot of the swingarm on the swing arm pivot shaft. The Sta-Bo bushings are end-play bushings, limiting side-to-side travel of the swingarm on the pivot shaft. They are totally separate and totally independant of each other.

I hope this helps.

:indian_chief:

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

I just order the Gluide Pro for my CUSE. I'll have it in a couple of days and then have it installed next week.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

I just order the Gluide Pro for my CUSE. I'll have it in a couple of days and then have it installed next week.

What's that?

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »

Chuck, I read your above post again.

I believe that the rubbers wear out quickly causing much of the wobble.....that is of course the neck bearings are correct, and the motor is aligned with the frame.

In the rubbers part#47564-86A which are actually called spacers...there is a washer made into the end of the spacer. As the spacer ages it hardens which allows it to absorb less lateral movement. The Sta-Bo's help in the reduction of, in lamons terms, circular motion.

Ernie, when I installed the new chrome swing arm this winter, I rode the bike with new spacers....soft ride still had wobble

Added the Sta-Bo's...less wobble, but increased vibration and a little harder ride

Added an Alloy art wishbone stabilizer.....not quite as bad as a rigid, but close

just remember, every bike is different...I think my wobble is attributed to the 18-21 tire set up and too much torque to the rear wheel, causing the rear to twist, even if ever so slightly

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »

Chuck, I read your above post again.

I believe that the rubbers wear out quickly causing much of the wobble.....that is of course the neck bearings are correct, and the motor is aligned with the frame.

In the rubbers part#47564-86A which are actually called spacers...there is a washer made into the end of the spacer. As the spacer ages it hardens which allows it to absorb less lateral movement. The Sta-Bo's help in the reduction of, in lamons terms, circular motion.

Ernie, when I installed the new chrome swing arm this winter, I rode the bike with new spacers....soft ride still had wobble

Added the Sta-Bo's...less wobble, but increased vibration and a little harder ride

Added an Alloy art wishbone stabilizer.....not quite as bad as a rigid, but close

just remember, every bike is different...I think my wobble is attributed to the 18-21 tire set up and too much torque to the rear wheel, causing the rear to twist, even if ever so slightly

Yes, lots of variables come into effect. So far I like them, but time will tell if they will be the final solution. I started with the most cost efficient and simplest. If that doesn't work well enough I can move to a more costly bracket, but I'd rather not go the bolt-on route.

:indian_chief:

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »

Check out True Track. They make better swing arm bushings than stock. If I'm not mistaken, they're called Isoh-Lators. They make a whole Performance Power Train Kit for the swingarm setup, including a TrueTrack, Bronze Pivot Bushings with Pivot Shaft, rear Isoh-Lators, and True Isohlator front motor mount. $799 with Free Shipping! ;)

http://www.true-track.com/1_2006_016.htm

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »

Check out True Track. They make better swing arm bushings than stock. If I'm not mistaken, they're called Isoh-Lators. They make a whole Performance Power Train Kit for the swingarm setup, including a TrueTrack, Bronze Pivot Bushings with Pivot Shaft, rear Isoh-Lators, and True Isohlator front motor mount. $799 with Free Shipping! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Glad mine rides fine.  That's a lot of money I don't even have to think about spending.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »

Glad mine rides fine.  That's a lot of money I don't even have to think about spending.

Well I think that's a good deal for all that performance suspension stuff. I have all but the Isoh-Lators and pivot shaft/bushings from them. I like the quality of their products. I'll be replacing my stock stuff with the rest of their, down the road sometime. I think the price is fair. If you want that type of predictable performance and handling, you get the best products available! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »

Well I think that's a good deal for all that performance suspension stuff. I have all but the Isoh-Lators and pivot shaft/bushings from them. I like the quality of their products. I'll be replacing my stock stuff with the rest of their, down the road sometime. I think the price is fair. If you want that type of predictable performance and handling, you get the best products available! ;)

Hoist! 8)

When they wear enough I begin to notice it the repair will upgrade.  Until then, I got chrome to pay for.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »

When they wear enough I begin to notice it the repair will upgrade.  Until then, I got chrome to pay for.

Well bully for you. This wasn't for you, it was for Ernie! :P ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »

Well bully for you. This wasn't for you, it was for Ernie! :P ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

What?  You mean it's not ALL about me  :nixweiss: ?    :huepfenlol2:

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:25 PM »

What?  You mean it's not ALL about me  :nixweiss: ?    :huepfenlol2:

It is.....in your mind... ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »

It is.....in your mind... ;D

Finally.  Someone understands :huepfenlol2: !

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »

Since I've never had any handling issues with the cherry, I am looking for something that will not increase vibration too much that gives me some improvement over stock.  I'm not looking for the race set up, since I do a lot of long trips and a lot of 2-up riding.  The Glide-Pro looks interesting though.  Anyone have feedback regarding handling versus vibration and/or harsher ride?  Thanks!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »

Back to what I said earlier.......tire size.......when I run the stock tires I have NO wobble at all

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »

Hoist! 8)

this wont work if you have a center stand

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

Keep in mind there are three different generations of swing arms, pivot bolts and bushings since 1986. Not all products react the same on each bike. Same goes for riding style and tire sizes in regards to the way a product works. What works for one does not necessarily work for the next guy. There is no one best product, I sure wish there was. ;D The late model bikes with the new swing arm and 1" axle are some of the best as far as rubber mount bikes go. The early bikes (like mine) are about as bad as they come with a under braced swing arm, small pivot bolt, bushings in the swing arm and a 3/4" axle! The recipe for disaster. ;)

I think with the late model bikes any add on product will work. It is at what expense are you willing to pay. It also comes down to how much of the factory cushy ride are you willing to give up. You didn't think you were going to stiffen the bike without an adverse affect did you? Remember riding rigids?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

Remember all too much!  Two back surgeries later, I don't need every ounce of handling out of the bike.  Besides, the floorboards get beaten up pretty good with the stock bushings.  ;D
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 06:13:09 PM »

Thanks!

They are great vibration amplifiers....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »

Remember all too much!  Two back surgeries later, I don't need every ounce of handling out of the bike.  Besides, the floorboards get beaten up pretty good with the stock bushings.  ;D

I already gave you the best solution Ernie! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 21 queries.