Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newby Question #2: Storage/battery charging/alarm  (Read 3144 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Newby Question #2: Storage/battery charging/alarm
« on: December 19, 2003, 07:27:16 PM »

I have the HD smart battery charger. I was wondering for those of you who have a winter (thus store your bikes), do you keep the battery installed with a charger on it in order to keep the alarm system energized? Any problem with having the battery charger on with the indoor cover over the bike?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Newby Question #2: Storage/battery charging/al
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 09:30:35 PM »

Great question Psyco.....and I'm at a loss for an answer.  This question may be best asked of the manufacterer of the charger.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 08:17:36 AM »

i dont do anything to winterize. i was riding 2 weeks a go and hope to get out again with in the next few weeks. if i havent riden my softail in a while i will put it on the battery tender over night before i plan on using the bike
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 04:13:05 PM »

i dont do anything to winterize. i was riding 2 weeks a go and hope to get out again with in the next few weeks. if i havent riden my softail in a while i will put it on the battery tender over night before i plan on using the bike

I'll tell ya, when I was out in the garage starting the bike up to get the fuel stabelizer thru the system, I was tempted to take it out. Aren't you concerned about the salt on the roads and its effect on your bike regarding corrosion. How do you keep your bike clean?

I ended up taking the seat off. It was kinda of a pain in that I had to remove part of the sissy bar and figure out the rest as I went along. Rather than remove the battery, I installed the extra set of battery leads that come with the battery tender and ran the wire so that the connector comes out from under the seat. Now whenever I have to connect the charger all I have to do is hook up to the connector. I think having to remove the seat in order to charge the battery is poor design. There should be a standard fitting attached to the bike under the seat area.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 04:13:52 PM by psychodeuce »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 06:16:15 PM »

given typical new england weater we usuall get a warm spell and some rain to wash off the roads. i just use good judgment if the bike is gonna get covered with sand/salt then i wont take it out
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 09:52:06 AM »

I have the HD smart battery charger. I was wondering for those of you who have a winter (thus store your bikes), do you keep the battery installed with a charger on it in order to keep the alarm system energized? Any problem with having the battery charger on with the indoor cover over the bike?

A little late, but I have been doing this for years...heck, you can see the cords in my signature pics.  Dust off and battery charged.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 08:10:46 PM »

A little late, but I have been doing this for years...heck, you can see the cords in my signature pics.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.