Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just Took Delivery  (Read 1001 times)

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Just Took Delivery
« on: February 26, 2005, 01:02:13 AM »

After whining at the dealership and to you folks my red SEEG showed up Thursday morning.  After convincing my secretaries that they COULD handle the rest of the day I beat feet to the local Harley shop and watched them pull the bike from the crate and prep it.  All they really did was remove it from the crate. check fluid levels, install the windshield, and check a few fastners,and take it out for a ride.  They also did something with the computer.  The Tech did not baby it when he left and came back w/11 miles on the odo.  The paperwork seemed to take longer than the dealer prep.  Rode it home Thursday evening.

Random observations:  Clutch pull was significantly more difficult than my '04 RKC with a mild 95" build and the White Brothers EZ clutch installed.  I just happened to have a VPC that I received last week and the first order of business was to install it.  Major improvement in clutch pull (at least 40%) and the engagement was more linear and less abrupt.  A worthwhile addition.

Power was not what I expected.  I've been riding  a stage II SE build w/ 203 cams, Rineharts, and a pcIII usb.  Power was better but not sigificantly so.  I took Friday off to install the VPC,put the first coat of wax on and ride.  Low 60's in Central WA.  Not bad for Feb.  The bike did seem to loosen up after the first 75 miles.  I'll try to get a decent ride in tomorrow.  Love that fairing.

Handling was better than my Road King.  I was surprised as I assumed the extra heft would detract from the handling.  The stock shocks didn't offend me as they did on the RKC.  I have a pair of Progressive 440's on the RKC that will be put on the SEEG sometime next week.  The stock Dunlops didn't do anything weird.  I've always run Metzlers and have a set coming but I may run the Dunlops for a while.  That may change after the next rain.

Brakes seem like they should be stronger.  Lyndall Z pads are on the way.  I suspect its only a matter of time before the stock pads start screaming in agony every time you pull up to a stop sign or light.  Maybe Brembo's in the future.

Radio could be interesting.  Never had one but it worked for a while but was sort of distracting as it got stuck on the weather channels and I couldn't figure out how to get back to music so just shut it off.  Will play with it again tomorrow.

Pipes, what pipes?  Actually, after I shut off the radio I stopped and inserted my ear plugs.  I couldn't even hear the bike.  I actually found the quiet ride enjoyable.  The jury's still out on pipes and engine mods.  Thinking of the Freedom pipes or Rineharts with a PC III and SE air filter.  I want to ride the bike stock for the first several hundred miles to have a base line to compare future mods.  I didn't do that with the RKC and regret it.

Syn 3.  Got home tonight and drained all 3 holes at 120 miles.  The Syn 3 came out of the tranny like water.  Can't imagine thats good for the gears.  Replaced with Redline products.

Seat has got to go.  I've read here RK Mustang Seats will fit the SEEG.  Mustang, Corbin, or over to Rich's in Seattle.

Grips and Handle bars.  The grips sure look nice but feel almost "hexagonal".  Maybe I'll get used to them because they sure are pretty.  Handle bars are a bit of a reach.  I'll do the seat then work on the bars if necessary.

Chrome.  Whats with the oil line with the hose attached to it?  Why not a chrome starter?  What, no chrome inner primary?  I could go on and on but suffice it to say that my first order to a 20% off store will be substantial.  This, after the dealer told me "You won't have to order anything for this bike"  as he was explaining why he wasn't going to give me any discount on parts.  I understand, Harley's making him build a new building.  He usually pays cash for things and now he has to borrow 7 figures to keep the franchise.  No wonder he's a bit testy.

All in all with some tweaking I think this bike will be a keeper.

'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Just Took Delivery
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 01:19:18 AM »

DDL, this is probably the best "first impression" write-up we've had on the SEEGs.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.  I think once you do pipes and an air cleaner you'll be pleased with the power.  The 103 is quite choked by the touring mufflers as I noticed by switching back to them for a weekend last summer.

Sounds like you have some good plans for mods.  Keep us posted and as I'm sure you're aware:  [smiley=worthless.gif]

Daddyschog

• Junior CVO Member
  • git er dun
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 01:31:19 AM »

DDL
Great thread!  You almost sounded like you were in my head.  I did fix the chrome inerprimary problem on mine.  While doing my visual I found a nick in the paint on the top side.  when the steeler was replacing the damaged one I said I'd pay the difference for chrome.  Turns out, the chrome inerprimary is cheaper than the stock painted one.  Go figure! [smiley=confused5.gif]
let Daddy tell ya a little story

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:13:12 AM »

Good write up!!! Sounds like a magazine article review. Your impressions are very similar to mine when I first got it with the exception of the clutch. I found mine to be very smooth and easy to actuate. It did take some getting used to how the hydrolic felt thought.

Glad you got it home and congrats on the purchase!! The best thing is you got the [bgcolor=Red]RED[/bgcolor], the best color!!!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:32:39 AM »

Wow! Great write up! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] When I get mine can you come over write mine? [smiley=laugh.gif] Enjoyed it [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 10:20:51 PM »

DDL congratulations on the new ride.  The million doller question is how much sleep did you loose before it got here? [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.