Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 77 miles and already had first accident...  (Read 3900 times)

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
77 miles and already had first accident...
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

Hi All,

New to the board but not to HD (had 2003 Screamin' Eagle Deuce and an 2002 Road King prior to my FLTRUSE).

So, I picked up my bike a week ago and it has been raining pretty much every day since.  Managed to sneak in a ride this weekend in between kids' soccer games.  So, we finally have a beautiful day here and I wanted to ride to work.  I stopped briefly at a Dunkin' Donuts to take my wallet out of my back pocket.  I was at a dead stop, about to pull into a space, and a lady backs right out her parking space into me.  She had PLENTY of room to turn if she wanted but backed up without looking.

Knocked the bike over and me off the bike.  Luckily I was fine, but she scratched the corner of my saddle bag lid, scratched the latch, but I was pleasantly suprised that the bike went over pretty hard and the crash bars pretty much prevented any damage at all on the kickstand side.   Some minor scratches and I'm going to have her insurance replace EVERYTHING with a mark on it.

It is one of those things that most people would never notice in terms of "damage", but dealer already told me $1500+ to replace the scratched stuff.

I'm just pretty bummed since I haven't even had time to really enjoy the bike yet and figured that it would be MY stupidity that dropped it first.

By the way, this thing is freaking heavy.  I'm pretty strong, but thankfully there were two construction guys who witnessed it who helped me pick the bike up - It was sloped downhill and there was no way in heck that I would have been able to pick it up on my own.

Ugh...
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: 77 miles and already had first accident...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »

Mogulbumm, I'm sorry for you on your maiden ride to have to encounter such stupidity.  Are you sure nothing else is scratched....no painted parts on corner of fairing, etc?  Check & double check.  Bottom edge of saddlebag?  Glad you didn't try to hoist her up all by yourself, cause 900+ lbs. on a slight decline will surely strain a muscle or pop a knee in all likelyhood even if you're in great shape and can dead lift that much without the adrelene flowing.  Good luck & ride safe.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

Sorry to hear about your mishap but glad to hear you are ok! Just one of those things you have to chalk up to someone else's inattention to their surroundings. Too bad you had to pay the price! Just make sure she pays to make it new!

Mogulbumm

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »

Thanks!  Dealer wants me to leave it there for a WEEK so they can assess th damage and get an estimate.  Luckily I have a couple of business trips coming up and they can work around that :)  I told them that anything with the smallest mark on it needs to get replaced.  And as upset as I was, I am thankful that I'm OK!
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »

Sorry about this, Mogulbumm.  Skier?  I lived in Billerica for a year as a kid.  I am glad this was only cosmetic damage.  BTW, if the bike is out of service, the woman who who hit you is liable for your rental of another bike.  Just thinking "out loud."  Good luck with your repairs.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

Mogul, sorry for the mishap. I bet she didn't see you. At least that's what they always say.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »

Mogul, sorry for the mishap. I bet she didn't see you. At least that's what they always say.
Can't see ya if ya don't look.  >:( grrrrr. spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »

1st, welcome to the site and congratulations on getting a great bike. Unfortunately I dropped my bike and did a bit more damage than they are projecting on yours. However, the end result was pretty terrific.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57690.0;all

Mogulbumm

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »

1st, welcome to the site and congratulations on getting a great bike. Unfortunately I dropped my bike and did a bit more damage than they are projecting on yours. However, the end result was pretty terrific.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=57690.0;all

Wow... Beautiful job!  Makes me wish I crashed it up more  ;D
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:58:22 PM »

Hey
Everything is replaceable but a life. Just put it all new an forget about it!!!!!
Welcome to the site from Sunny Central Florida :orange: :orange: :orange: :orange:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

Wow... Beautiful job!  Makes me wish I crashed it up more  ;D
NEVER wish for that!  :nervous:  spyder

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »

Welcome to the site, make sure you get it from the Ins Co now. You would have a hard time gettin them to honor a late finding.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Pegus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

Welcome from Lausanne, Switzerland!
Glad it's only material damage!
Don't postpone until tomorrow what you can do the day after that. Ride on!

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »

Hi All,

New to the board but not to HD (had 2003 Screamin' Eagle Deuce and an 2002 Road King prior to my FLTRUSE).

So, I picked up my bike a week ago and it has been raining pretty much every day since.  Managed to sneak in a ride this weekend in between kids' soccer games.  So, we finally have a beautiful day here and I wanted to ride to work.  I stopped briefly at a Dunkin' Donuts to take my wallet out of my back pocket.  I was at a dead stop, about to pull into a space, and a lady backs right out her parking space into me.  She had PLENTY of room to turn if she wanted but backed up without looking.

Knocked the bike over and me off the bike.  Luckily I was fine, but she scratched the corner of my saddle bag lid, scratched the latch, but I was pleasantly suprised that the bike went over pretty hard and the crash bars pretty much prevented any damage at all on the kickstand side.   Some minor scratches and I'm going to have her insurance replace EVERYTHING with a mark on it.

It is one of those things that most people would never notice in terms of "damage", but dealer already told me $1500+ to replace the scratched stuff.

I'm just pretty bummed since I haven't even had time to really enjoy the bike yet and figured that it would be MY stupidity that dropped it first.

By the way, this thing is freaking heavy.  I'm pretty strong, but thankfully there were two construction guys who witnessed it who helped me pick the bike up - It was sloped downhill and there was no way in heck that I would have been able to pick it up on my own.

Ugh...

Be sure to negotiate your keeping the damaged parts especially those that need paint work.  These parts have a market and are repairable.

BTW: There is a process to lift the bike by yourself that involves backing up to the seat and liftingit with your legs.
It's a good process to know in case you are by yourself IF it happens again and I sincerely hope it doesn't.

Glad you weren't injured.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »

Welcome to the site!   :2vrolijk_21:  Glad you have joined us!

Sorry of your mishap...   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.