Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: trans fluid and primary fluid  (Read 8044 times)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
trans fluid and primary fluid
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »

what do you guys n gals like to use in your primary and in your trans I know its been asked before looking for some fresh answers for a 14 and up l know they changed the clutch in these that's why I was looking for a new old answers lol thanks everyone

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: trans fluid and primary fluid
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

RedLine
Bill

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 11:44:25 AM »

Redline X 2
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

Redline X3

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »

I'm with Muddy and Donald on the Redline products.  It doesn't mean they are the best, it's just what I use.  Other good products out there.  Many say that Shell Rotella 15W40 is great for the primary as well as HD non synthetic primary oil.  I would use a gear oil in the tranny and not a synthetic motor oil.

I change all 3 holes every 5,000 miles with Redline products.  The tranny doesn't need to be done but it is easy to do and cheap insurance.  I highly recommend changing the primary oil every 5,000 miles as the stuff that drains out contains clutch wear particles and needs to get out of there IMO..

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

Redline primary fluid in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in the tranny. I have tried the Redline Shockproof in the tranny, but I have found the Amsoil makes it a little quieter and easier to find neutral. Either way, can't go wrong.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »

thanks guys l just put in red line heavy shockproof l thought it look a little thick over kill maybe

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »

thanks guys l just put in red line heavy shockproof l thought it look a little thick over kill maybe

Hopefully just in the transmission? Redline has a different fluid for the primary...........

mark

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »

And that's what you want...something heavier that hangs on the gears.  Your bike will shift (and find neutral) much better.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:46:27 PM by Mark »

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »

I used Redline in the primary for quite some time. I then changed to 15w40 Shell Rotella (non synthetic)  after seeing how well this oil held up in a industrial wet clutch system I had to try it. I am very happy with the results. Since changing over I have seen none to very little fuzz on the drain plug. With the Redline I was seeing a steady stack of fuzz every change. I also have better clutch disengagement so when I drop it in to gear I don't get that clunk just a nice click. Not saying don't use Redline they do make great products. Just letting people know my experience with Rotella in the primary.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »

yes just the trans lol thanks for the replies guys

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:34:38 PM »

In my EVO with the DD6 Baker I use Redline heavy shock proof in the tranny which was recommended by Baker at the time, it seems to work very well.
Baker now recommends the Spectro Tranny oil for the DD7, I haven't tried it yet but will whenever I get a chance to put in the DD7.
I have an S&S clutch in the EVO and S&S recommended ATF so I have been using Royal Purple ATF for years in the primary with this clutch it works very well and I have not even adjusted the primary chain this is behind a 127" motor with 145 hp. Baker recommends the Spectro Primary oil with their new Compensator which I ordered when I bought the compensator I will let you know how it works, once I get back from Overseas, (Maybe in Sept)
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

hd1102014

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

THE NEWER HARLEY 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION HAS A SMALL ORRIFCE GOING TO ONE OF THE ROLLER OR TAPERED BEARINGS. TO HEAVY OF OIL SUCH AS BELRAY AND HEAVY GEAR OIL WILL UNDER SERVICE THE BEARING AND CAUSE FAILURE. IF THIS HAPPENS UNDER WARRTY HARLEY WILL TAKE A OIL SAMPLE, HAVE THE OIL SENT TO A LAB, AND IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT HEAVY OIL WAS USED, THEY WILL NOT COVER THE REPAIR. THIS IS FROM A STEELER IN MICHIGAN

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »

THE NEWER HARLEY 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION HAS A SMALL ORRIFCE GOING TO ONE OF THE ROLLER OR TAPERED BEARINGS. TO HEAVY OF OIL SUCH AS BELRAY AND HEAVY GEAR OIL WILL UNDER SERVICE THE BEARING AND CAUSE FAILURE. IF THIS HAPPENS UNDER WARRTY HARLEY WILL TAKE A OIL SAMPLE, HAVE THE OIL SENT TO A LAB, AND IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT HEAVY OIL WAS USED, THEY WILL NOT COVER THE REPAIR. THIS IS FROM A STEELER IN MICHIGAN

Define "Heavy".  Harley uses a 75w90 gear oil in the standard bikes which has a viscosity that is roughly the same as a 50 weight motor oil like the SYN3 they use in a CVO.  Redline Heavy Shockproof is a 75w90 rated gear oil, as is the Spectro product that was also mentioned.  The fact that Redline uses the word "heavy" in the name of the product doesn't mean what most people seem to think it means.  It just distinguishes between this normal weight gear oil and the "light" version they sell for racing differentials in cars (lower viscosity, less power loss).

Dealerships have been known to spread all sorts of BS to their customers.  Don't automatically believe everything they tell you.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »

Redline primary fluid in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 in the tranny. I have tried the Redline Shockproof in the tranny, but I have found the Amsoil makes it a little quieter and easier to find neutral. Either way, can't go wrong.

+1 on the AMSoil 75w90 for the tranny
I also use AMSoil primary fluid and their 20w50 in the engine.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:14:52 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »

I used Redline in the primary for quite some time. I then changed to 15w40 Shell Rotella (non synthetic)  after seeing how well this oil held up in a industrial wet clutch system I had to try it. I am very happy with the results. Since changing over I have seen none to very little fuzz on the drain plug. With the Redline I was seeing a steady stack of fuzz every change. I also have better clutch disengagement so when I drop it in to gear I don't get that clunk just a nice click. Not saying don't use Redline they do make great products. Just letting people know my experience with Rotella in the primary.
Hummm. You got me thinking on this one.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »

I use Redline in trans and primary, Mobil 1 in engine. And contrary to what most say on here, I have a buddy who used SYN 3 in all holes and has for years, he had over 70k on last one when he traded and it was fine, I change it for him most times and what was drained looked OK every time. Never did an analysis but most of us ride less than a 100K before trading and apparently all current manufacturers products are quite up to the task of doing what needs to be done regardless of brand.
So use what makes you happy and ride on.

HarleyJeffOregon

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OR

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl/Jet Black electra glide.
    • CVO2: 2010 Ultra Classsic Scarlet red pearl/Dark Slate
    • CVO3: 2017 Ultra Limited Black Garnet/ Electric Red Pearl
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »

I have been using syn3 in all holes for 85,000 miles. Still running strong.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:26:55 PM »

I've tried for years to convince people that SYN3 is a good product, but for whatever reason many seem to think otherwise.  If a guy like me, with my oft stated feelings about the MoCo, admits that the stuff is good and probably better than more than half of the other choices on the market, I have to believe those who constantly bash it have never looked at any real data.  If folks don't want to buy it because it's pushed by H-D, or because it's made by Citgo, fine by me.  But if they don't buy it just because someone told them it's crap, they need to listen to someone who actually knows something about motor oils instead.

Jerry

Btw, the attachment is from the comparison testing AMSOIL published in 2009.  Note that SYN3 ranked fourth out of seventeen oils tested.  Not that shabby.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »

This is a timely thread as I've just finished changing both in my 2009 SERG.

For me the transmission fluid is easy.  I've used Redline shockproof, Mobil 1 75w90, Belray 85w140 and now the new Amsoil Vtwin transmission oil.  They all work well so it is just a matter of personal choice and what you have easy access to.

The primary oil is more tricky and I say that because it depends on the clutch you are using.  Your choices are also complicated by the fact that your clutch requires a coolant and your compensator requires a lubricant.  Not a big deal if you are running a stock clutch as HD formula + seems to work well, however, if you are running an after market Bandit, Rivera or Barnett the manufactures recommend ATF and ATF will not provide the lubrication needed by the compensator.  So what do you do? 

I'm running a Barnett Scorpion with lockup, SE compensator with GMR compensaver.  I was experiencing some clutch chatter starting out in first gear, otherwise clutch worked great.  Primary oil was Belray.  Decided to change to Amsoil primary oil.  Was better, but still chirped every once a awhile.  Spoke to Steve at GMR and he recommended  26 oz Dex-Merc ATF mixed with 6 oz of the Amsoil primary oil (could be any suitable wet clutch oil) for compensator.  I upped that to 32 oz ATF and 6 oz to get to the 38 oz needed.  Results?  No more chirp in first.

Clutches can also be sensitive to the amount of fluid as well.  For a bone stock primary, the volume stated in the manual is fine, however, for the after market clutches I would say those volumes are guidelines.  IMHO, you have to play with it a little for the results you desire.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.