Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble  (Read 33301 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »

BEWARE yes this is a rant.

I have owned many a Harley and many a CVO Harley since 1975. I have NEVER had to call the MOCO about anything ever. For the last few years I have listened to AXIL rant over quality control and what he described as POS Harley's and OVERPAID Union Workers that didn't give a chit about their jobs. I just use to laugh and shrugged it off as a disgruntled OLD MAN!!! Well while taking a trip around the US last year on my 2012 SEULTRA I encountered an electrical problem. I was only a few days into a month long trip and was in Sturgis. The problem was for the accessory circuit. The bike had been in for warranty service before for the same problem. The warranty on the bike was ready to run out and I was not going to let it sit at Rapid City HD for 5 days waiting on service. There was a Factory rep on site and he wrote me up a SR (service request) for warranty service. It could be done at my Dealer at home. I was never told when the service had to be completed. Just take it to my Dealer and give them the card. Well when I got home I parked the bike and left for my place in Delaware at the beach. I own 4 CVO Harley's and really don't ride the Ultra that much. Well the time came to change the oil and clean her up and get a new rear tire from the trip 10 months ago. After that I decide I didn't need the new SELIMITED and the SEULTRA, so the 2012 was sent to the Dealer to be sold. I told them about the electrical problem and gave them the card. Now mind you I have NOT ridden or really even seen the bike since the trip. Well the Dealer calls me and tells me the MOCO denied my Service Request. Reason I asked???? Well it seems I was only given 2 weeks from the time the SR was written to get the service done. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? So for the first time in my life I had to call the MOCO. Funny the person that turned down the request answered the phone. Well he already knew the bike had the ESP protection and told me that would be my best avenue to take IF I WANTED THE BIKE FIXED!!!! I explained the entire scenario to him. Including that I was in Delaware and the bike was in Maryland. Didn't matter at all. He told me you only had 2 weeks to get it fixed. Well it would have been nice if someone would have told me that. Like I said that is not my go to bike to ride, especially while I am at the Beach!!!

My problem is the bike had the problem while it was still under the original factory warranty. It was an ongoing problem with the bike. The bike had been sitting since I returned from my trip. Didn't matter he was not going to approve it at all!!!

I am glad I am getting old and slowing down a bit. BUT at this point in time in my life I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NEW HARLEY DAVIDSON as long as I live. They are the worse when it comes to quality control and customer service. Way to go HARLEY DAVIDSON, you are running that Motor Company into the ground just to please the penny pinchers!!!! So AXIL I am sorry for doubting you at all. It has been said that the product leaving the factory now is the worse in MOCO History!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG     
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:57:03 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hogasm

Re: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:43:43 PM »

Mike sorry it took you till 2015 to figure this out :oops:

I told the MOCO rep in 2005 in Sturgis after 52 warranted items on my 04

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »

Yeap, there's a reason (reasons) I built my own last "new" old bike from scratch spending almost nothing with the MoCo doing it.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Sorry, but I think this is a petty complaint compared to all the bad compensators, valve guides, and similar.

Also, Harley (and I) probably thought you didn't really care much about the problem if it took you that long to get some free work done.

Four CVO's?  A house on the beach?  I just cant sympathize, sorry.

It's kind of like you sell a guy a bike, he calls you about a problem, you say bring it by and he'll make it right, then you don't hear from him for 10 months.

Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »

Sorry, but I think this is a petty complaint compared to all the bad compensators, valve guides, and similar.

Also, Harley (and I) probably thought you didn't really care much about the problem if it took you that long to get some free work done.

It's kind of like you sell a guy a bike, he calls you about a problem, you say bring it by and he'll make it right, then you don't hear from him for 10 months.

The time factor is less relevant than the fact that it was a recurrent failure reported while in warranty that, therefore, should have been a warranty claim regardless of the factory rep's notice or report; and that then was dismissed.  It's more of the oft dismissive attitude that comes from the MoCo.

As to any relative nature of this issue compared to others I'm reminded of the old line about how one defines the difference between major and minor surgery.  That being that minor surgery is anything done to anyone else!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »

Whether I owned one CVO or ten I'd be ranting as well. Perhaps in the MoCo view it's best to stay near home with the bike in lieu of doing what they're designed to do - tour... I wouldn't have given up untold days for a repair while on an extended trip unless my bike wouldn't run.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »

10 Months is too long to wait. Not suprised at this. Two weeks seems fair to me.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »

10 Months is too long to wait. Not suprised at this. Two weeks seems fair to me.

I can't say it any better than Twolanerider already said it - so in his words.....

The time factor is less relevant than the fact that it was a recurrent failure reported while in warranty that, therefore, should have been a warranty claim regardless of the factory rep's notice or report; and that then was dismissed.  It's more of the oft dismissive attitude that comes from the MoCo.

As to any relative nature of this issue compared to others I'm reminded of the old line about how one defines the difference between major and minor surgery.  That being that minor surgery is anything done to anyone else!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:44 PM »

I live in Vermont and they have a lemon law.  Off the top of my head and summarized, if a car has to be repaired three times for the same problem over a set time you can invoke the lemon law.  When I read the law, I was shocked to see motorcycles were not covered by the law.  I always wondered who MoCo paid off to get this exclusion.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/safety/laws/lemonlaw

I wish more states would hold manufactures responsible for lemon laws.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »

Well if you read the original post completely you would have read it was the fist couple of days of a MONTH LONG TRIP!!!!! I'm sorry but I am not going to cut my vacation short because of The MOCO!!!! It has been and still is an ongoing problem that should have been fixed THE FIRST TIME!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

Was it stipulated in writing that the work had to be done in two weeks? Is that when the factory warranty ran out?

Hey if you need to buy a new bike get an Indian I did. ;)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »

Well when you are a paid Firefighter making a lot less then the private sector, you must work more then one job to make ends meet. I worked 3 jobs my entire career. As far as the beach house. Yea it is 7 miles from the Ocean and that is where I am retiring. Hence owning two houses till The Mountain house sells!!!! 4 CVO's yep from 2002 to 2014. When I pay one off if I see something I like I buy it. I am currently retired from the Department and still working!!!!! So tell me how rough your life really is!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »

Was it stipulated in writing that the work had to be done in two weeks? Is that when the factory warranty ran out?

Hey if you need to buy a new bike get an Indian I did. ;)

When I was given the card the warranty still had 10 days left on it. There was nothing in writing or was I told I only had 2 weeks. I told the Factory Rep I was going to be on the road for a month!!!! The Customer Service Rep told me he would only honor it for 2 weeks from the day I received it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »

The problem was for the accessory circuit. The bike had been in for warranty service before for the same problem.

Just curious did they claim to fix it the first time it was brought in or did they say "unable to duplicate problem" and send you on your way?

As a side note, I thought that certain replacement parts carried a 12 month warranty starting from the date the dealer installed them.

I will agree that it's getting much harder to receive good customer service at more and more dealerships... :(
I haven't had to deal directly with HD customer service about anything yet....
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

I was told it was fixed the first time it went in for service. I now look back and should have know better with all of the problems the MOCO has had since the release of the 110 motor. It seems the quality of the Motorcycles has gone done since then. It's a crying shame that they can put a number like 40K on a Motorcycle and send them out the door with all of the problems they have.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.