Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Author Topic: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble  (Read 33304 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »

Mike,  at the risk of you putting me in time out, and mainly because I do not want this thread to end.

Tell me this was about $50.00?

OK I got it, there are principles involved, but for less than one nights bar tab?

I have an idea, if we can fund some other ventures, I suggest we crowd fund Mike's deductible.

We just need 10 people to pledge $5.00/each.

I am willing to be the first pledge if you all tell me this thread will live on.

I will call it "Save the Dawg" campaign

1. Jeff

Jeff that is a good one. Yes it is just about the principal. It broke under the warranty and it was not the first time I had the problem. It's crazy what the Motor Company is doing to itself. We are now weeks away form the 16's hitting the floor and most dealers have a lot of 15's still I stock. BTW I saw a large amount of Indian's at Sturgis this year. Way more then ever before!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »

Fact is that if you want a great bike, quality, handling, performance it's not going to be American. It will be Japanese or German.

So if you are not happy with the HD buy another brand. I got several other brands but I keep the HD around because I like it for what it is. Probably always will have one  around.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »

Dawg

I am glad your trip went well. You covered a lot of ground and did not get decimated by one of those notorious hail storms that seem to pop up.

PS. can you actually ride through a hail storm? I have never had that experience and hope to skip that chapter.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:22:21 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

Dawg

I am glad your trip went well. You covered a lot of ground and did not get decimated by one of those notorious hail storms that seem to pop up.

PS. can you actually ride through a hail storm? I have never had that experience and hope to skip that chapter.

IMHO if it starts to hail....find cover quick that stuff is nasty...only happened to me once, but that was enough.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

Dawg

My riding buddies and I got caught in a hail storm once, several years ago.  About 1" variety of hail.  Hurt like hell.  We were between Keystone and Rapid City...  We were getting pelted bad.  So we stopped along the side of the road (with no cover) and stood there and got pelted bad for a couple of minutes.   We then decided that if we were going to get hailed on, we may as well be hailed on while moving (maybe we could ride out of it?).  Well, we didn't ride out of it.  We got hailed on until we hit the outskirts of Rapid City - a good half an hour.  One hand on the handlebars and one hand covering my head.  There is a car wash on the left when just entering the city.  We made a beeline for it, and waited out the storm inside. 

*Note to self...  It's really really really slippery when riding into a car wash!  None of us dropped it, but we all had a "moment". 

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »

Dawg

Keats I did get caught on The Big horn Passage. Temps went from 70 to 31 degrees like right now. It had 60 mph winds and snow sleet hail and freezing fog. It happened so fast we had now where to go for cover. It was brutal. I had two bikes behind me following through the passage. Got down to lower altitude and everything quit. I never want to go through that again!!! The new Bike ran great through out the entire trip. I was worried because of the ECM problems. They did do a full tune on the bike before I picked it up. I am more then happy with the numbers. I need to post the sheet on the twin cam forums.

But I still need to go check on Sapphire and see what is going on with the bike. Warranty or not it needs to be repaired and repaired right so I can get it sold!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »

Got back from Sturgis and went to check on the Sapphire. Well she was sitting back in the warehouse and not on the showroom floor. No service had been done so I came back with the trailer and brought her back home. I will do the repairs myself and put her up for sale. What a sorry place to be called a Harley Davidson Dealership!!!!!

So Keats it's time to get that fund started!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »

I'm curious, did they offer any defense or explanation?
It is sad the way the dealers treat us sometimes.
We used to think that having been a loyal customer over the years would earn us some respect or at least empathy.
I guess those days are gone, now.(if they ever really existed)
Sounds like you took the right corrective measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »

I'm curious, did they offer any defense or explanation?
It is sad the way the dealers treat us sometimes.
We used to think that having been a loyal customer over the years would earn us some respect or at least empathy.
I guess those days are gone, now.(if they ever really existed)
Sounds like you took the right corrective measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didn't even apologize to me. It's OK. I'm just moving on and doing the repairs myself, then I will just try to sell it myself. Sad part about the story is I know the owner very well. He has been out of town and knows nothing about this incident. The Service Writer should have followed up and got the bike repaired, but I should have stayed on his ass till it was finished. Oh well.

No matter how old we are it seems like we are always learning.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »

My riding buddies and I got caught in a hail storm once, several years ago.  About 1" variety of hail.  Hurt like hell.  We were between Keystone and Rapid City...  We were getting pelted bad.  So we stopped along the side of the road (with no cover) and stood there and got pelted bad for a couple of minutes.   We then decided that if we were going to get hailed on, we may as well be hailed on while moving (maybe we could ride out of it?).  Well, we didn't ride out of it.  We got hailed on until we hit the outskirts of Rapid City - a good half an hour.  One hand on the handlebars and one hand covering my head.  There is a car wash on the left when just entering the city.  We made a beeline for it, and waited out the storm inside. 

*Note to self...  It's really really really slippery when riding into a car wash!  None of us dropped it, but we all had a "moment".
, Wow I was running from a serious thunderstom in the same area a couple of years ago, several bikers had their bikes damaged due to the large hail at Mount Rushmore, I ducked into a gas station with a canopy.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »

, Wow I was running from a serious thunderstom in the same area a couple of years ago, several bikers had their bikes damaged due to the large hail at Mount Rushmore, I ducked into a gas station with a canopy.

Smart move. Our problem, we had no where to hide!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »

My wife and I had our bikes caught in a Hail Storm while out for the Sturgis rally this year.  Parked at the hotel in Belle Fourche Saturday night about 9 pm.  Her 15 Road Glide Special with a 4500 dollar custom paint job was damaged as was my 15 SERGU. No cover any were near, and the wind was blowing it sideways.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Good luck Dawg.  In comment to your not trusting these new bikes:

Discussing the rumored '16 Road Glide Ultra vs. the CVO RG this weekend and one of "my crew" of riding buddies absolutely refuses to even consider a CVO because of all the problems EVERYONE we know whose bought one has had.  Like breakdown stranded on a trip problems.  And many of them are repeated.  As in not fixed or the fixed part breaks like the original.  I'm sure many have bought trouble free CVOs.  But the people we know personally who own them have ALL had major issues.  5 owners, 4 of which are owners of new (2014 - 2015) models.

I've all but decided to never buy another CVO myself.

I have an '08 CUSE3.  Its been reliable but still has had major engine work (cams, lifter, etc at 40k) repairs, the major recall for leakage issues that we experienced back then, 4 radios (about to be 5), throttle issue, and of course the compensator.  Now with almost 90k on it, which is more likely to make it across the country when my kid gets stationed out west?  A 10 year old 100k bike or a brand new bike from a QC department run by squirrels who couldn't find a nut in a planters peanut factory.   :nervous:

Fugly or not... You have to start thinking about Polaris as a better company if you care about mechanical design, reliability and Quality Control.  The Indian's might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the victory cross roads is not a bad looking bike and I haven't heard much negative about them.

Donny Pederson had an interesting mechanical engineering perspective piece in AIM last month.  Can't find much in that article to make me feel good about the MoCo... And he's a Harley guy!

PS.  For the Harley sycophants out there... let me save you the reply.  Peanuts are a legume.  Not a nut.  So it may be difficult for a squirrel to find a nut in a peanut factory.  Which is exactly the kind of nit picking the Harley sycophants seem to love to do these days while making excuses for a failed product that we all loved at one point in our lives.
Have a friend that traded his 07 HD with tons of problems for a Victory Cross Country put 120k miles only replaced a belt for a stone and only took 30minutes to replace. Now he has a new Indian and loves it.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »

Have a friend that traded his 07 HD with tons of problems for a Victory Cross Country put 120k miles only replaced a belt for a stone and only took 30minutes to replace. Now he has a new Indian and loves it.

The Motor Company better start doing a better job of engineering and building Motorcycles. If they keep this chit up they may very well be a thing of the past!!! The people at the top are so out of touch with the customer now. They need all new blood.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 20 queries.