Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Clutch Warranty extended  (Read 5356 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Clutch Warranty extended
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »

Got a letter for my 2014 CVO Limited. Clutch warranty extended two extra years. ????
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Clutch Warranty extended
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »

How about scanning it and posting it for all to see?  I'd be interested in seeing just what part of the clutch system they are talking about, and for what reason they've decided to extend the warranty.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »

if I recall correctly there were no details in the letter. They said it was due to the many issues with the 2014 and 2015s. I can scan a  copy when I get home if no one else hasn't by then.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »

Mine said same thing. No details on parts. Sorry but no scanner.
Will

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »

Just got mine today. I have had no issues and my CVO led has not been recalled yet. It was my understanding that only the black master cylinders were at issue not the chrome as they have been in production for several years.

panz

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED ...GOLDEN GIRL
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO ULTRA Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra Classic Traded
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »

Just received my letter today...sorry no scanner Jerry, but it says "As you are aware, the company has issued several recalls on certain 2014 and 2015 motorcycles with hydraulic clutches. Our records indicate you own one or more of these models.". It goes on to say "Harley-Davidson is extending the factory limited warranty for the hydraulic clutch engagement system on your motorcycle by two years for a total of four years of warranty coverage on this system.". Then it's followed up by the normal sorry, any questions contact your dealer blah, blah,blah.
My question is that I've never been notified of a recall on said system and wonder if I should be expecting a problem sometime in the future. Guess I'll call my dealer to find out, probably its "NORMAL"!!!!
"LIFE IS SHORT...ENJOY IT!"

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »

Here's the scanned letter....
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

Thanks OBB.  That is typical of most such pieces of literature from a manufacturer these days, written by committee and edited to the point of near uselessness by the legal department.  But since I'm used to reading and interpreting such stuff, at least to me it's pretty obvious they are only extending the warranty on the parts that comprise the hydraulic portion of the clutch system.  In other words, the master cylinder and actuator (slave cylinder).  Things like the clutch basket, hub, and plates would still be just two years.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »

Thanks OBB.  That is typical of most such pieces of literature from a manufacturer these days, written by committee and edited to the point of near uselessness by the legal department.  But since I'm used to reading and interpreting such stuff, at least to me it's pretty obvious they are only extending the warranty on the parts that comprise the hydraulic portion of the clutch system.  In other words, the master cylinder and actuator (slave cylinder).  Things like the clutch basket, hub, and plates would still be just two years.

Jerry

"Hydraulic Clutch Engagement System"...

Nothing like using plain English, is there?   ::)

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »

I also received this in the mail yesterday.  It may not be the best they could do but hey, I'll take it. 
And even though the letter states "nothing is required from me, it's an automatic update in the warranty system" I'm still keeping a copy of the letter in my files..... :) 

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Got a letter today from the Mother Ship
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »

In the mail today...letter received from Mother stating their apologies for the poor craftsmanship and extended the factory warranty on the clutch for two years.  Apologized for not living up to the quality we expect.  Don't that beat all?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 05:30:42 PM »

The dealer did a recall on my 2016 limited for the clutch when they were getting the bike ready for me to take home 3 weeks ago. The tech grab the clutch and said this needs to have the recall done he said when the front wheel is turned in the lock the fork position to the left when your on the bike the clutch pressure is lost when the bike sits for some time, the new part should take that away he said this was Harley 3 attempt at fixing this problem.
DND

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »

3rd attempt, hope that is the last unlike compensators, lifters,……….etc :nervous:

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »

OK...I'll bite.

What has MOCO has been replacing under warranty?....other than the recall (which from my understanding was caused from a coating in the clutch piston that contaminated the Dot 4 fluid)...what is the weak link that is failing in this clutch engagement system??

I have heard that some people have issues with the clutch friction zone....but I have not heard any component failures that cause this....just bleed the line again.  I did read about someone getting a new clutch lever....but I don't consider that a mechanical/wear part. 

Or is the letter just lip service and two more years of warranty bleeding services for our clutch line when the bike starts to creep?

What am I missing :nixweiss:

Panhead Paul

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

Got the letter too.  Two things trouble me on this, I got a similar letter in 2000 about cam bearings, 2 weeks later my cam bearings went out.  :-X

Secondly did anyone notice the return address on the envelope the letter came in?  Stericycle????  They haul medical waste, what do they have to do with Harley?

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Got a letter today from the Mother Ship
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »

In the mail today...letter received from Mother stating their apologies for the poor craftsmanship and extended the factory warranty on the clutch for two years.  Apologized for not living up to the quality we expect.  Don't that beat all?

Actually the situation is what everyone expects from MOCO mediocre quality at best.  :nervous:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:12 AM »

Posted by: Cat Eye
OK...I'll bite.
What has MOCO has been replacing under warranty?....

The part was a plastic valve or plunger tube like part up on the handle bars in the clutch reservoir.

DND

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »

Got the notice as well but to date my CVO has not been included in recalls.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Got the notice as well but to date my CVO has not been included in recalls.

Hey Ron, K'ville HD completed the clutch recall at the dealership before I ever purchased the '15.  You may want to check with your dealer as it may have been completed before you took delivery... :2vrolijk_21:

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »

Will check but when the last recall came out my VIN did not show on the HD recall site.  They could have done it during prep but did not mention it.  My clutch has a good feel engaging about mid pull and very easy to control friction zone.  I know the recalls were more about clutches quitting completely.  My clutch has gotten lots of use lately as I've been caught in Nashville stopped traffic almost daily.

I did just have to have the clutch sensor board replaced.  Not a big deal but it quit allowing me to start it in gear which I sometimes do if parked on an incline or in a hurry.  Apparently was a quick replacement as it only took them about 15 minutes.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 12:55:23 PM »

My clutch has gotten lots of use lately as I've been caught in Nashville stopped traffic almost daily.

....and isn't that just the best fun in the world..... ::) :huepfenjump3:

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »

Gives me lots of opportunity to practice my "slow race skills" to see how slow I can go without putting my feet down or running into their bumper.  Gotta come up with some bright side to it. :) 
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »

Ron, You said it. I am in Atlanta traffic and try to keep up as long as possible without putting my feet down.  Can be fun! Sure keeps you alter too!  :)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.