Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ?'s belt vs chain drive?  (Read 7851 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: ?'s belt vs chain drive?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »

Not sure which indys you're talking with?  I'm from Nor Cal (as are many members on this forum) and I've never heard of a shop in Red Bluff or Redding that has a reputation for performance.  Not saying there isn't one....just haven't heard of one over the decades that I lived up there.  I do know that the OEM belts are known to be very reliable.  I'm one of those guys that for years rode harder than anybody I know and I never broke a belt.  No, it's not common.  Ask those indys for references of people that they know have broken belts (and had their belt guards in place) and I think you'll get your answer.....they'll sell you anything so they can make a buck.

Jim (hd-dude that's posted in this forum) always has his shop full of CVOs.....he knows motors!  Do yourself a big favor (and save yourself headaches down the road and take your bike down to Metal Dragon in San Leandro and drop it off. 

There's a reason Jim's shop is always full of CVOs and other big motor bikes......and they're all running belts.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

Well I think he has a couple running chains. But I think they were extra hard on the equipment  ;D

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »

my belt is still sort of ok.. but it has 4 or 5 rock holes from gravel.   the big issue is that gravel here and gravel there are completely different. even from one county to another its a big difference - a bit of 3/4" hard dolomite will just flat break the belt and the stuff does get thrown. a 3/16 size rock is just a small hole.

in the late 70's i broke a chain when a bit of white limestone got in there - the only real fix is pavement or go real real slow and if it sticks to the tire even that won't help.   I'm dreading having to replace the belt - chains had to be replaced but it took 20 min to do it. change the sprockets every third or fourth chain. and yes there was a mess but i have always figured I'm going to ride it so i don't care about a little dirt - if i want a clean one ill put it in a glass case and look at it.

chains are not really that much worse than belts - they are just lots more replacement and adjustment than belts but its easier to do.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 05:41:44 AM »

I had replace a belt due to rock damage. Both pulley ' s looked fine.
I replaced the stock 1.5" belt with a S&S 1.125" belt and new rear pulley over 50k miles ago. Never had to readjust belt tension. Like the guys posted, belt alignment and tension is crucial.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »

i had no idea s&s sold belts..... i wonder if they are any good?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »

You can lead a horse to water, but...  :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »

my belt is still sort of ok.. but it has 4 or 5 rock holes from gravel. 

If you've got a belt with holes in it you've really got less of a belt and more of a break-down waiting for a place (away from home and three hours from a flat bed) waiting for a place to happen.  Unfortunately now a question of when rather than if.  Be safe and take a Saturday afternoon sometime and swap it out.  Depending on thickness I might even have a good one I could send you.  Let me know.  Glad to check out the stash here and help if I can.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »

boy do i know it.. its when not if the belt is going to break.  its had holes in the belt since at least the fall of 07. gravel road to the office where i work. i only ride to work a few weeks in the spring but thats when it gets holes. after spring its the work truck to job sites never see the office again till november......

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »

I am wondering if it's a misalignment issue causing the failures? And the misalignment created by the failure of the swing arm bushings. Torquing the swing arm off kilter and stressing the belt. Worth checking those bushings and that swing arm bolt. Wheel off, unbolt shocks and try to move the swing arm side to side. Should have no play.   :nixweiss:
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »

Well my input would be your builders either need some work or they are talking to hear their head roar. My 09 has 29,000 miles an S&S 124 with a procharger at 13lbs boost. 202 and 174 tq and I don't have any belt issues. The stock belts are really tough aftermarket not good at all.

BigLew

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

Well I did the chain conv and while it was apart it got a Baker DD7. So far I'm happy with the chain. If it does not work out I'll go back to the belt.
Thanks again guys for you time
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »

did you modify the swing arm for more adjustment? or can you get enough adjustment with the stock cam and half links?

to

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »

Stock cams work just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 05:25:24 PM »

Are you setting to HD specs???  My opinion is that is way too tight. The aluminum pulley will expand with heat and most the times the belt is banjo tight once up to normal riding temps. I set them under the loose HD spec. With just a little run time the pulley heats up and its in spec.
 I run a stock belt on my 124 and no issues there at all.. Best time a few weeks ago has been 11.005 so it sees a fair amount of drag strip , so I am not easy on it at all..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »

I installed a S&S V111 motor, 6 speed O.D. Gearset and a S&S 1.125
Rear belt over 60,000 miles ago. No problems. I too live on a dirt Ricky road.  I do have the stock belt guards in place though.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 21 queries.