Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACE CLUTCH  (Read 1796 times)

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACE CLUTCH
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »

My 2000 SERG came with this clutch:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-content/service/isheets/-J03602.PDF

When I bought the bike a few months or so ago, the clutch dragged and it was impossible to get it into neutral unless rolling. The lever tension was too strong. I drained the primary oil and it was black. I discovered that the springs were over tightened. I removed the clutch and cleaned all of the components up and replaced the primary oil with ATF. I adjusted the springs as per the instructions and the clutch worked much better, including the lever tension.

The clutch began slipping after a thousand miles so I drained the fluid. It was black again. Apparently I need new clutch plates. The seller probably knew this and over tightened the springs.

My question:  Are the plates (37980-03) for my (obsolete?) clutch  the only ones that will work with it?

I know they are available on ebay from a couple sellers, but should I consider replacing the whole clutch assembly?

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
Re: SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACE CLUTCH
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »

Watching.....

I have the SE Race Clutch on my 1996 Fatboy.  I'm running and S&S 117 with Branch Heads and cams.   It's uber tight (and I'm a lefty)  and impossible to put into neutral unless I'm moving.  It was installed by my friend who is a mechanic at my local HD Dealership.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:06:38 PM by DipStick »

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.