Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: New to site, new to brand  (Read 5189 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: New to site, new to brand
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 10:02:06 AM »

Welcome from the Tar Heel state. I would say go shopping at the Harley stores ( more than one to confuse) and let him look and ride to see what you guys like best and see what has the best eye appeal for color. Do let him buy. Then buy it yourself and take him back to pick it up or have the dealership deliver it to your home.

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »

What make and model was his last bike?

If he's going to put his foot down in a curve, I'd strongly suggest a riders course for him before he gets back on a bike.....and then an advanced rider's course.  There are several right there in the bay area.  There are several street bike courses on this page and I know that one of the instructors is from Sacramento....as a matter of fact, the first course listed is "street bike cornering".......    https://www.superbike-coach.com/riding-programs 

And right across the bridge from you.....    https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=103

I'm certainly not a riding expert but my experience is I road in the dirt on the canal banks in the Sacramento valley as a kid and then on to the streets at 16.  In the dirt we may throw a leg down in a curve but I'd never do it on asphalt or concrete.....there's a high probablitity that it's going to cause a whole lot more damage to the body than just road rash.   :nervous:  Most bikes the floorboards or pegs are designed to fold up if they scrape.  If it's going to go all the way then the best thing is to get away from the bike.  JMHO for what it's worth.  The other thing they teach in all the courses I've attended.....look where you want to go, not where you're at.  That alone has always saved me from going in to a corner to hot. :nixweiss:  Not saying I haven't scraped.....to many here have observed that for me to make that claim but the floorboards will fold up.

You have a riding instructor on this forum that lives just a short ride from you.....maybe he'll chime in here.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »

Another idea is let him pick out a base model then surprise him with the CVO version of same model
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »

Welcome to the site from Southern Ontario, Canada   :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »

Greetings and welcome to the site.

As you may already know there is a vast array of experience within our membership that stand ready to assist you in your riding pleasure, not to mention spend some of your hard earned coin.  Take it all in and enjoy! 

In addition there are a number of opportunities to meet and greet some of these fine folks at some of the informal gatherings.  Gatherings are held throughout the year and hosted by members.  A wonderful means to better know your fellow riders.

Below are some of the events planned for 2016-2017.  Click on the below links for more information…

Maggie Valley Experience

Meeting In the Middle

Wild Wild West

Welcome to the Pleasure Dome!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 08:17:20 PM »

Welcome to the site!   :2vrolijk_21:   Glad you have joined us...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:56 PM »

What make and model was his last bike?

If he's going to put his foot down in a curve, I'd strongly suggest a riders course for him before he gets back on a bike.....and then an advanced rider's course.  There are several right there in the bay area.  There are several street bike courses on this page and I know that one of the instructors is from Sacramento....as a matter of fact, the first course listed is "street bike cornering".......    https://www.superbike-coach.com/riding-programs 

And right across the bridge from you.....    https://www.sheriffacademy.com/class.php?id=103

I'm certainly not a riding expert but my experience is I road in the dirt on the canal banks in the Sacramento valley as a kid and then on to the streets at 16.  In the dirt we may throw a leg down in a curve but I'd never do it on asphalt or concrete.....there's a high probablitity that it's going to cause a whole lot more damage to the body than just road rash.   :nervous:  Most bikes the floorboards or pegs are designed to fold up if they scrape.  If it's going to go all the way then the best thing is to get away from the bike.  JMHO for what it's worth.  The other thing they teach in all the courses I've attended.....look where you want to go, not where you're at.  That alone has always saved me from going in to a corner to hot. :nixweiss:  Not saying I haven't scraped.....to many here have observed that for me to make that claim but the floorboards will fold up.

You have a riding instructor on this forum that lives just a short ride from you.....maybe he'll chime in here.

Having ridden every style of motorcycle from a dirt bike as a 13-year-old to a 900 lb touring bike as a 51-year-old and every sport/race bike in between, I absolutely concur with the above statement.  I cannot think of a reason on the asphalt to ever put your foot down.  This is good and safe advice.  We all wish to see you husband enjoy the ride of a Harley, but use this forum to make well-informed decisions as well.  Good luck!
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

Smee

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FxdseII
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 05:10:39 AM »

Hi Welcome
Speed doesn't matter if the direction is wrong !

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 06:12:29 AM »

Welcome to the site! 
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »

Welcome and I think that what you want to do is great. And I also think bigchuck has a good idea.
Maybe when you 2 are out do a drive by and stop into the dealership, because you want to look at some shirts. Let him wonder around than when you notice that he has hovered by a certain bike walk over and see what he thinks, than later go back by your self to see the CVO version. You could have it delivered when you want for his surprise.
And a rider course is a very good idea.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

bisounours

• SMF Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »

Good evening Tracy,

:welcome_005: on the CVO website  :2vrolijk_21:

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

mikester

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »

my wife bought my bike after seeing how much I liked it at the dealer . had a riding buddy bring it home while I was at work I thought it was his until she was dangling the keys in my face ! one heck of a surprise !

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »

I agree with the idea of going to the dealer and just trying the bikes on.  I have a 32" inseam and yes I can touch the ground on my CVO but many Harleys are much lower and can be very comfortable.  Also, as mentioned above, your husband may have a particular style and color he likes. I like the idea suggesting you want to look at some cool shirts etc. and just tell you husband to look around.  Then casually go talk and get him to sit on the bikes so he can feel the bike better.  You (and he) will quickly figure out what his likes and dislikes are.  Then you can get the bike of his dreams!  You can rent bikes as well. Maybe after you think you have the bike nailed down rent it for a day and see how she handles. It is great you are doing this and he will owe you! :) 

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »

Welcome....and what a wonderful wife you are!!  :2vrolijk_21:  I am 5' 7" with a 31 inch inseam and I can tell you the CVO Street-Glides are lowered from the factory, mine is a 2012 and is plenty low for me. It is lower than the CVO Limited or CVO Road Glide Ultra. Harley does make a lowered Electra-Glide Ultra Classic from the factory.  As others have said, have him go sit on some models at a large Harley dealership with a good selection. Harley's tend to sit lower than most other bikes and he may not need one of the lowered models.  Good shopping!!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/motorcycles/2016-motorcycles/cvo/cvo-street-glide.html

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/electra-glide-ultra-classic-low.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:06:01 PM by FLY-DOG »
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

CJ

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 01:37:11 PM »

Welcome From GA  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.