Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Complete Replacement of HD Stereo System  (Read 4664 times)

Canuck

• Senior CVO Member
  • "True North strong and free"

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE
Complete Replacement of HD Stereo System
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

Hello All,
I ride a 2010 CVO Ultra and I am giving up on the HD Stereo system.  I have replaced speakers, head unit, and amplifier.  I keep having an issue where my sound quits until I toggle the speaker switch on the dash (I also replaced the switch).  I've decided to pull the entire system and replace with something better.  The music on my bike is really important to me so I'm excited to upgrade.  I am looking for suggestions you might have on what works and what doesn't.  Is there an installer you would recommend in the Nevada, California, or Arizona areas?  I appreciate your feedback.
Crazy Canuck

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Complete Replacement of HD Stereo System
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »

I had my 2010 cvo sg done. I like quality audio way beyond what Harley stuff provides, able to hear clearly at 80+ mph. I've tried various things over the years. Both bikes now have aquatics head units, JL amps and Focal speakers. For your ultra, front upper and lower fairing speakers will do the trick. I'm sure there are plenty of custom stereo shops that will take your coin. Look for an authorized Focal dealer that does Harleys along with auto's. We have a few in the Northern Va area.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Canuck

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:57:52 PM »

Thanks Kodak!  That is exactly what I was hoping to get. I will do some research into Focal. I am not familiar with their product.
Crazy Canuck

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »

Canuck:

I detailed audio upgrades on my '13 CUSE8 with Focal speakers if you have an interest in checking it out. The components are detailed for the changes. Scroll down on the link and you'll come to the audio portion:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=102454.0

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »

send the unit to iron cross audio. problem solved! they are a vendor on this site and highly recommended. they bullet proofed my 08 unit. some other folks will probably second this post. hope you get it resolved.  :2vrolijk_21:

Canuck

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:26 PM »

Thanks for the excellent advice!  I sent my HK off to Cross Iron today!  I really enjoyed looking over the photos that Kiro posted of the install he did!  Unfortunately, this is WAY beyond my level of competency!!   LOL!  Once I get the HK back from Cross Iron, I will have to hire someone to install the ARC Amplifier and the Focal Speakers.

Thanks for the feedback!
Crazy Canuck

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

Thanks for the excellent advice!  I sent my HK off to Cross Iron today!  I really enjoyed looking over the photos that Kiro posted of the install he did!  Unfortunately, this is WAY beyond my level of competency!!   LOL!  Once I get the HK back from Cross Iron, I will have to hire someone to install the ARC Amplifier and the Focal Speakers.

Thanks for the feedback!
You definitely will have a much improved stereo. The main issue with the HK deck is (don't shoot me!) its not a very clean signal compared to a quality aftermarket deck (for example I think its rated at upto 1% THD compared to 0.1% or lower for aftermarket). If you are going to invest hundreds of dollars in very high quality speakers, think of upgrading the deck down the road.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »

i would recommend you have iron cross install their blue tooth while they have your radio...had my 13 RG upgraded with their kit  :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:53:15 AM »

You definitely will have a much improved stereo. The main issue with the HK deck is (don't shoot me!) its not a very clean signal compared to a quality aftermarket deck (for example I think its rated at upto 1% THD compared to 0.1% or lower for aftermarket). If you are going to invest hundreds of dollars in very high quality speakers, think of upgrading the deck down the road.
That is correct. On my 12 I redid my entire system with Focals and Arc amps with stock head unit. After a year or so I finally got talked into changing my head unit to a Kenwood Echelon and it was a huge difference in "crispness" of sound.
I didn't want to hear it either but after making swap I was surprised in the difference.
Alan

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »

my wife would crush my little friends if i took the intercom away :'(

these days 90 percent of the time if I'm riding alone i leave it all off, but its on so she can listen to music and talk to me.

to each there own - doing a aftermarket unit will not ever fly with swimbo

Maczter

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »

I can also attest to Iron Cross Audio.  I had them change my face color on my '08 Ultra to blue (had the gauges done by another company too), as well as add another input jack on the back so I could hard wire my Zumo 665 with Sat radio, and still be able to use the front jack for a phone.  VERY quick turn around and decent prices.

Am getting ready to do my gauges on my '16, changing the faces and backlight color to blue.
2016 CVO RGU, Stardust Silver/Palladium Silver, VH Pipes and American Custom headers, VH Tuner, Klock Werks windshield, Harley Boom II Sound System

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »

I was reluctant to change my system too but I finally took it to 808 Cycles and had 6.5 alpines jvc headunit and ? amp...probably the best mod I have done.  If I may offer some advice: get a splash guard for your head unit.  Got mine from biketronics (10% discount for forum members).  Make sure you get the right one (depending on if you have the chrome bezel or not).

kalikali

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 04:16:48 AM »

Goldstar Audio in Irvine, California replaced the entire setup in my non CVO Ultra. They put a Pioneer pop out screen unit, new amp, speakers, button modular so all the switches work for a very reasonable rate. They also wired my fog lights, radar detector, jammers, etc.  They do good work.  Sounds 100x better than stock unit, plus with the touch screen, blue tooth, usb setup it is more enjoyable to ride.    I also need music to ride.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

Gadget man I like :2vrolijk_21:

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »

:rolleyes3:  Id'e be so busy I couldn't watch where I'm going!!!   :)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.