Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2018 Sticker Glide  (Read 7195 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Re: 2018 Sticker Glide
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »

Hmmm. Damn glad I took the leap on a 2017 CVO SG.  I like conservative bikes, so the dark slate bike of 2017 fits my needs well.  Oh I did change derby covers and have a 117 derby on my CVO.  Think I will do the 2018 dark horn cover as well.  I just made a 2017.5!!  And the bike runs really well with the stage 4 kit fitted with a stage 3 cam.  Guess I did it my way.....  Just another side thought rattling around in my noggin, if HD had its crap together they would make the CVO line a menu type build, kind of like options on any other vehicle.  You want this paint...ok it costs this much more.  You want the 117 stage 4 from the factory...ok check this box.  You don't want a 10000000 watt stereo...ok...check this box.  Then it would truly be a Custom Vehicle Operation...  Until that happens, which will be never, I will do what makes my bike, my bike. 

mark

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 11:05:18 AM »

Just saw the '18 Orange CVO Street Glide this weekend.  IMO, the paint scheme in no way meets the complexity of previous years.  The orange metallic looked fine, but the flat black (and the orange stripe) looked like a wrap or tape.  There's a ridge between the flat black and orange that gives this impression.  That ridge will be a great wax catcher.  Basically, HD has saved a lot of money here - a simple orange and black paint scheme that's not expensive to produce, but the price of the bike goes up, adding to MoCo profibility.

What happened to the hand pin sripping, gold leaf, etc. paint jobs of previous years?

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 06:26:02 AM »

The First Mistake Harley made with the paint was when they stopped painting the frames on the CVO bikes, that was one of the best things about the CVO bikes a Big stand out from the rest of the bikes with just the black frame.

Dante
DND

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »

Funny how it works, new regimes take over top management, and the first thing both of them do is cheapen the product even more AND raise prices.  And then people sit around and wonder why sales are down and many dealerships look like ghost town storefronts most days of the week.  I swear every time I drive by the local dealership, even on weekends, there are few if any cars and bikes in the parking lot.  Take away the vehicles of the employees and you'd be hard pressed to tell they were open.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

USMC-CWO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »

Stickers? or Paint? Only one way to find out for sure.  My 3 week old 18 Street Glide was damaged during the recent wind storm, resulting in some deep scratches in the denim surface on the lower saddle bag.  I dropped the bag off at the HD Dealer to be repaired, and just got word yesterday that the painter could not fix the "vinyl decal" on the bag.  The Dealer and Insurance Adjuster concurred and have ordered a new bag (lower half) from Harley.
Once they have the new bag installed I'm going to take a razor blade to the underside of the old bag and find out for sure whether its a sticker or paint.

Update coming soon.

1BdBagr

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

Just saw the '18 Orange CVO Street Glide this weekend.  IMO, the paint scheme in no way meets the complexity of previous years.  The orange metallic looked fine, but the flat black (and the orange stripe) looked like a wrap or tape.  There's a ridge between the flat black and orange that gives this impression.  That ridge will be a great wax catcher.  Basically, HD has saved a lot of money here - a simple orange and black paint scheme that's not expensive to produce, but the price of the bike goes up, adding to MoCo profibility.

What happened to the hand pin sripping, gold leaf, etc. paint jobs of previous years?

Everyone has opinions, based upon the looks of the new CVO paint jobs, but, I don't think many of you know much about the whole processes that are involved with these paint schemes. Thinking it was a wrap...lol. Ho Kayyyyy. They are absolutely correct in the silk screened logos and this isn't a simple process either. The gloss clear butting up against the matte clear....that in no way is a CHEAP way to do things, there was no move by HD Mo Co to use that as a cost cutting motive, actually the opposite. It would be MUCH cheaper to have gloss cleared the whole bike, it's far more difficult to have a matte/gloss finish on the same bike. Matte paint jobs can't be color sanded and polished so NO screw ups can be present. They have to be PERFECT. The gloss side has to be finished AND polished then masked to the exact edge THEN the matte clear shot. The labor required is substantial. HD worked hard to minimize the paint edge/mil thickness for the clear coats, to make them match up. If you folks that think it looks cheap, you could always blow the bike apart and shoot gloss clear over the entire bike, creating your own one of a kind paint job..... 8)

I'm a painter and appreciate what goes into these paint jobs. I like them but i will say that the CVO street glide in the metal flake silver/mercury with the flames is my present fav paint job but thats because i dig metalflake paint... :coolblue:
Tim
someday i'll have a CVO...

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »

I'm a painter and appreciate what goes into these paint jobs. I like them but i will say that the CVO street glide in the metal flake silver/mercury with the flames is my present fav paint job but thats because i dig metalflake paint... :coolblue:
Tim

I never even thought I'd buy a CVO until I saw the Hard Candy Mercury & Smoky Quartz flames!  That was an expensive revelation. I think some metalflake does suit the Street Glide, and the Mercury paint is spectacular - only thing could improve it would be a skull motif on the batwing.

Having said that I do like the gunship gray Road Glide & Street Glide, even though you can find almost the same shade on various cars (I think I've seen Audi, Seat, VW, Skoda, Honda, Range Rover, Mini, Porsche).  Nice but not as special as the paint on my bike. (just my personal and very subjective opinion).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 21 queries.