Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10" or 12" apes for a '15 CVO SG?  (Read 2112 times)

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
10" or 12" apes for a '15 CVO SG?
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:27 PM »

Hey all,
So I was over a fellow CVO Harley Forums members home tonight looking at the same bike as mine and he has 10" apes.  I love the feel of them and we are both about the same height.  He's 5'6"
and I'm 5'7".  He was able to retain his stock cables although he had to remove his stock mirrors and go with bar mounted mirrors.

In a perfect world, I'd love to keep my stock mirrors and not have to change or add to my cables.  Want to keep this project easier if I can.  I love the 10" apes but I'm open to 12" apes (thinking LA Choppers Twin Peaks).  Does anyone have experience with 12" apes both clearing the stock mirrors and utilizes stock cables?

2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

TZG15FLHXSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: 10" or 12" apes for a '15 CVO SG?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:50:36 PM »

Hey all,
So I was over a fellow CVO Harley Forums members home tonight looking at the same bike as mine and he has 10" apes.  I love the feel of them and we are both about the same height.  He's 5'6"
and I'm 5'7".  He was able to retain his stock cables although he had to remove his stock mirrors and go with bar mounted mirrors.

In a perfect world, I'd love to keep my stock mirrors and not have to change or add to my cables.  Want to keep this project easier if I can.  I love the 10" apes but I'm open to 12" apes (thinking LA Choppers Twin Peaks).  Does anyone have experience with 12" apes both clearing the stock mirrors and utilizes stock cables?

I’ve had LA Chopper apes on my 2014 and yes the stock mirrors are right below your elbows and still usable. Stock hoses work just fine. Just cut the zip ties. On my CVO I went with 13” Monkey Bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »

Same color as mine.  Is there a difference with the term "Monkey Bars" or is that a Manufacturer?  I wouldn't want to any taller than 12".

Another question... How is grabbing the clutch or brake levers in that higher position?  Is it comfortable and do you have the right leverage to pull them in?
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:41 PM »

Same color as mine.  Is there a difference with the term "Monkey Bars" or is that a Manufacturer?  I wouldn't want to any taller than 12".

Another question... How is grabbing the clutch or brake levers in that higher position?  Is it comfortable and do you have the right leverage to pull them in?
This isn't specific to those bars or bike, but when I put 12" mini-apes on my SERGU, I was able to rotate the brake and clutch mounts enough to get a "straight-line" pull on both levers...but if I had gone with taller bars, the lines would not have been long enough to get the needed rotation.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Harleyman CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 RK Burgundy blaze fusion graphics
    • CVO2: 15 Sg ultra violet blue molten lava flames
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:50:40 PM »

I have Paul Yaffe 10 inch There are bars usually run 2 inches taller than their advertising then they’re advertised height. On your your bike you can go with 14 inch without changing your brake lines or clutch lines .There’s YouTube videos  that are a wealth of information . The good thing about the 10 inch bars your hand still stay protected  just get a little wind on the top of your knuckles  .  but your stock mirrors are useless .
once you go CVO there's no going back

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.