Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42876 times)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »

As I posted a couple of months ago bike sumped and I melted the motor. Harley replaced entire motor and stage 4 and I got it back a few weeks ago. For the first time ever I made myself "play by the rules" and break it in exactly like the dealer told me not going past 3000 rpm's for the first 250 miles, change oil at 500 miles and then not over 4000 RPM's until 1000 miles. Last Saturday I put the last 400 miles on to complete the 1000 mile break in and stopped at the gas station a couple of miles from my house to fill up so I would be ready to roll tomorrow morning and when I took off from the station bike fell on its face and I knew I was screwed. Got home and oil barely registered on the stick. got to dealer Wed and they called me yesterday to tell me bike sumped again!
I am so frustrated I cant think straight!
Before I got this bike Oct 2016 I went and rode many different bikes trying to find something other than another Harley since I still have my 12 CVO Roadglide but i just couldn't find anything else that I really liked though obviously now I wish I would have.
I was so proud of myself when I pulled into that gas station knowing I was done breaking it in and that I actually never "ripped" the throttle and broke it in easy-how ironic..
Really not sure where to go from here but this is getting very close to the definition of insanity!
  its not fun to have   happen what your also experiencing

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »

You said it was running fine, then stopped for a drink and it was sumping when you started out again? That’s interesting, most sump while being driven, some driven hard some not. Is it possible for it to fill the cases while sitting? Maybe there’s a clue here, at least in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what is driven yard  .  curious here/   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:55 PM »

Stilll was under 1000 miles so not like I would normally ride. Still was staying under 4000 or very close to. Just wasn't "babying it". I did that (babied it) the 2nd motor and it didn't make 1000 miles either.
Alan

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »

With everyone looking at the oil pump, anyone considering it could be the counter balancers or combination of the two causing the issues and the oil pump is just the scapegoat?    Be interesting to see how these conversions with no counter balance make out.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:36 PM »

With everyone looking at the oil pump, anyone considering it could be the counter balancers or combination of the two causing the issues and the oil pump is just the scapegoat?    Be interesting to see how these conversions with no counter balance make out.

the balancer is just more bs stiring  and  causing the air bubbles  in the sump, and causing all kinds heat along with  perhaps  different metals  expanding  at much different rats and then we may have a potential of  tiny holes or cracks  where no one is looking  magnaflux may be the only way to witness this  and its very expensive.   but then again that alone is not going to solve the issues  in its self.  I have to think  .     larger cases and other changes to pumps, and positions of  oil flow are all suspect have to think what the heck  is  HD tryin g to do to its people who have been  great customers   for many  years and those who have been on board for only 20 years. need to see a  fix at any cost, or there may be some very serious results  of handing out band aides till your bike is out of warranty , that is going to end it all.   pay me now, or pay me later.   keep your eye on the little birdie cause its sly and quick.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:21 PM »

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »

I am thinking of trading my 2015 CVO RG which has been upgraded with the HD 117 kit on a 2019 hopefully CVO RG. I test rode a stock 107 M8 last year and was very impressed. How bad is this sumping issue? Does anyone know the percentage of CVO M-8's with the problem?

Thanks

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »

I am thinking of trading my 2015 CVO RG which has been upgraded with the HD 117 kit on a 2019 hopefully CVO RG. I test rode a stock 107 M8 last year and was very impressed. How bad is this sumping issue? Does anyone know the percentage of CVO M-8's with the problem?

Thanks
The MoCo might have some of those numbers, but since the sumping seems to depend on a set of circumstances and/or conditions, those numbers really aren't meaningful...right now, it appears the sumping can occur with any M8 engine if the situation/condition arises.

If it turns out the oil return port in the crankcase is located where it can't quickly enough return all the oil to the system, MoCo is not going to be able to fix it with a band-aid.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Slyde

Sumped again!
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2018, 11:14:06 PM »

Sorry, just saw your post/question. I thought I remembered a few sumping issues that arose after being ran down the highway at high speeds for longer periods, 90-100. And a couple running higher rpm through canyon roads. Now before you say they should be able to do that, I agree they should. It was just an observation.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:16:31 PM by Slyde »

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »

Sorry, just saw your post/question. I thought I remembered a few sumping issues that arose after being ran down the highway at high speeds for longer periods, 90-100. And a couple running higher rpm through canyon roads. Now before you say they should be able to do that, I agree they should. It was just an observation.

for a fact ytou do not need to be running them hard to make the sumping  issue happen. have seen it  a cruise set a 70 mph  steady  , just run it  for 70 to 100 miles , its happening under those circumstances.  runing that at 9- to 100 will  surley make it happen sooner. now how bout the fact of the matter just put it on the table and start it run it for maybe a couple minutes or three if you like  pull the sensor.   have seen  a quart  of oil drain out on each occasion.  this is  what  someone needs to  correct, must be an expensive fix cause have not seen any thing to date that is curing this . so everyone with one of these bikes is never going to see a real fix cause  it seems just give you some parts to get you through the warranty and your on your own is what we can hope is ion store for everyone who has issues and those who are going to have the same issues. that should boost sales for sure.  sad part is the people cannot afford  to be paying for this fix.  all the downtime involved,  along with the frustration and expense  incurred in owning one of these bikes that continue to see problems. let alone you dare not try to actually even think of a trip  cause the odds are not good you can get the bike home. lot of people depend on  HD to correct this so they can remain in business, keep there jobs and livelyhood. lets hope they make this right.   one way or another. amazing how some bike's have no issues for many miles and all of a sudden they toast  a few motors  in few miles and time.  the riding season is over and you dare not to go with your group  on a nice ride  of any distance .  its sad to say the least. we have to hope  the fix  or getting compensated  totally is on the horizon. this is something that people need made whole on.   

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:35 AM »

Is it my imagination or is just engines that went from 114 to 117 upgrade "sumping"?
Anybody had an 2018 CVO Limited 117 engine sump?
Any 107 sump?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Is it my imagination or is just engines that went from 114 to 117 upgrade "sumping"?
Anybody had an 2018 CVO Limited 117 engine sump?
Any 107 sump?

Nope, over on HDforums there are stock 107s, upgraded 107s, stock 114s, upgraded 114s, stock 117s, upgraded 117s including 2018 Softails. No common thread other they are 2017 or 2018 Milwaukee 8 engines. Some M8s sump after a few hundred miles. Some appear to have taken up to 10,000 miles to be in the right conditions to sump. Which is exactly what SB1450 states.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:15:02 AM by Heatwave »

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »

I have been reading the threads and posts concerning sumping issues with the M8 motor. I had business at my local HD dealer yesterday and I asked a trusted employee at the dealership how many M8 sumping issues that they have dealt with.

He said that they have had two total 2017 or 2018 M8 bikes in their shop for sumping issues and 1 was a stage 3 and the other was a stage 4 bike. I do not know the real extent of the sumping problem, but it sure isn't affecting all the M8 bikes assuming the info is correct.

I have 600 miles on my holdover 2017 SGS and the oil level is still where it should be and my friend's identical bike with 800 miles is still ok.

I really wonder how big the sumping problem is on the 2017 and 2018 M8 production bikes. It certainly has affected some of our forum members severely by reading their posts. I would think that the ESP warranty people would be watching this issue very closely because the problem is coming their way.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

Slyde

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »

for a fact ytou do not need to be running them hard to make the sumping  issue happen. have seen it  a cruise set a 70 mph  steady  , just run it  for 70 to 100 miles , its happening under those circumstances.  runing that at 9- to 100 will  surley make it happen sooner. now how bout the fact of the matter just put it on the table and start it run it for maybe a couple minutes or three if you like  pull the sensor.   have seen  a quart  of oil drain out on each occasion.  this is  what  someone needs to  correct, must be an expensive fix cause have not seen any thing to date that is curing this . so everyone with one of these bikes is never going to see a real fix cause  it seems just give you some parts to get you through the warranty and your on your own is what we can hope is ion store for everyone who has issues and those who are going to have the same issues. that should boost sales for sure.  sad part is the people cannot afford  to be paying for this fix.  all the downtime involved,  along with the frustration and expense  incurred in owning one of these bikes that continue to see problems. let alone you dare not try to actually even think of a trip  cause the odds are not good you can get the bike home. lot of people depend on  HD to correct this so they can remain in business, keep there jobs and livelyhood. lets hope they make this right.   one way or another. amazing how some bike's have no issues for many miles and all of a sudden they toast  a few motors  in few miles and time.  the riding season is over and you dare not to go with your group  on a nice ride  of any distance .  its sad to say the least. we have to hope  the fix  or getting compensated  totally is on the horizon. this is something that people need made whole on.   

I didn’t go back and look but I thought I said some ran hard some not. I get it...

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »

As much as I hate to ask (given the passion people have for their lubricants), I am just curious as to what types/brands motor oil people are running that have experienced the sumping?
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.