Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42992 times)

J.D.

Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »

With so many of these M8s sumping for so long now, I can't believe three things:

1. I don't believe at this point anyone can say there is not a design flaw.
2. I don't believe that HD technical/engineering doesn't understand why these engines are sumping at this point.
3. Why has HD not recalled these bikes and repaired with a real solution, and not implemented said solution on production bikes moving forward?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2018, 10:29:55 AM »

With so many of these M8s sumping for so long now, I can't believe three things:

1. I don't believe at this point anyone can say there is not a design flaw.
2. I don't believe that HD technical/engineering doesn't understand why these engines are sumping at this point.
3. Why has HD not recalled these bikes and repaired with a real solution, and not implemented said solution on production bikes moving forward?

Well said! What are they waiting for? Someone pulling out in traffic and it quits running?

At the rate these are failing, it’s keeping the engine line busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

J.D.

mark

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »

Here's a tale of two companies and how they respond to an engine problem:

HD's M8 has had sumping issues for sometime.  I have a hard time believing engineers haven't figured out why and issued a recall or stop sale, yet they proceed as if nothing is wrong.  Cost to the MoCo is the only reason why this issue continues - all they have to do is limp this problem along until these bikes fall out of warranty.

Indian recently released their 116 Big Bore kit about March.  They had a couple of 116 engine failures and immediately issued a stop sale to investigate the cause.  The stop sale was scheduled to end this week, but has been extended to August.  Although this had to cost them money, they seem to have taken the high road.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 02:29:49 PM by Mark »

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:43 PM »

Here's a tale of two companies and how they respond to an engine problem:

HD's M8 has had sumping issues for sometime.  I have a hard time believing engineers haven't figured out why and issued a recall or stop sale, yet they proceed as if nothing is wrong.  Cost to the MoCo is the only reason why this issue continues - all they have to do is limp this problem along until these bikes fall out of warranty.

Indian recently released their 116 Big Bore kit about March.  They had a couple of 116 engine failures and immediately issued a stop sale to investigate the cause.  The stop sale was scheduled to end this week, but has been extended to August.  Although this had to cost them money, they seem to have taken the high road.
i rode a 116 c.i. at the panama beach rally chieftan elite.indian had a demo ride program for the rally. very powerful! they did tell us there were tuning issues so the bike is not available for re-sale.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

X2

X3 and gave it a shot of  117 steriods
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »

makes me glad I kept my 16 with that good old ALmost reliable 110. Stuart :2vrolijk_21:
Fixed that for you.   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

chinashop bull

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2018, 10:05:47 PM »

OK, I will stop torturing everyone with this thread and deal with it myself but unbelievably the bike sumped today! After last week maybe the "karma Gods" are paying me back but went about 100 miles today with bike running great, stopped to get a drink and when I took off huge loss of power. went about 5 miles and pulled over at a gas station and MANUALLY  checked the oil and was barely touching the stick. I was about 30 miles from the dealer and said said screw it, I am going to try and make it there as most were highway miles. I could barely get on the freeway without getting run over as I couldn't get any speed going but finally got it up to about 70. The heat coming out the right side was crazy and it was smelling like it was burning up. All this is exactly what it did the first time which ended up melting entire motor so I thought "ohh well". What I had to stop at the light at the end of the offramp I could only get the bike up to about 10 mph the couple of miles to the dealer. When I stopped all the people outside were going "I think your bike is burning up" because of the smell.
3rd motor this month-amazing!!
Not sure where this is going to go but Im sure you all are bored to death with this and must think i am exaggerating-I think I would if I were reading it. absolutely makes no sense, 16000 miles with zero issues then I cant get 1000 miles on it without scrambling the motor..
Im taking up knitting!

SDCVO,

I ride a 2017 114 CVO Stg 2 Streety.  Mine has sumped twice.  Both times after running for extended periods at over 90 in temps over 100.  Both times it sumped I noticed a drastic drop in power.  I immediately pulled up, idled for 2 minutes (as per the service bulletin) and checked the oil - which was very low on the stick.  After the letting my bike cool for an hour, I was able to restart as if nothing had happened. 

HD has now replaced my pump with the latest version.  My dealer called me in to inspect the bike while they had it apart.  No signs of heat damage.

After reading your story above about how you continued to ride yours after it was obviously sumping I can only conclude that you deliberately damaged your motor so forum members would feel sorry for you and to give yourself an excuse to buy the BMW.  Maybe you suffer from Munchausen syndrome by proxy?   At any rate, you best hope MOCO doesn't read these forums otherwise they might not honor your warranty.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 12:58:28 AM »

SDCVO,

I ride a 2017 114 CVO Stg 2 Streety.  Mine has sumped twice.  Both times after running for extended periods at over 90 in temps over 100.  Both times it sumped I noticed a drastic drop in power.  I immediately pulled up, idled for 2 minutes (as per the service bulletin) and checked the oil - which was very low on the stick.  After the letting my bike cool for an hour, I was able to restart as if nothing had happened. 

HD has now replaced my pump with the latest version.  My dealer called me in to inspect the bike while they had it apart.  No signs of heat damage.

After reading your story above about how you continued to ride yours after it was obviously sumping I can only conclude that you deliberately damaged your motor so forum members would feel sorry for you and to give yourself an excuse to buy the BMW.  Maybe you suffer from Munchausen syndrome by proxy?   At any rate, you best hope MOCO doesn't read these forums otherwise they might not honor your warranty.
Intresting take for sure.. Didn't keep riding after it sumped the first 2 times and no idiot lights ever came on the 3rd time (actual read oil pressure ok) so not sure the MOCO reading these threads would just be able to not honor my warranty. Happy to hear everyone feels sorry for me, makes it all better after all.
not sure I need an excuse to buy a BMW but if my wife gives me a hard time I will share your post with her.
Gotta go now, I hear my kid coughing...
Alan

chinashop bull

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2018, 01:20:01 AM »

Intresting take for sure.. Didn't keep riding after it sumped the first 2 times and no idiot lights ever came on the 3rd time (actual read oil pressure ok) so not sure the MOCO reading these threads would just be able to not honor my warranty. Happy to hear everyone feels sorry for me, makes it all better after all.
not sure I need an excuse to buy a BMW but if my wife gives me a hard time I will share your post with her.
Gotta go now, I hear my kid coughing...

Good to see you took my post in the spirit intended.

I don't need excuses either.  I do a lap of Australia every 2 years.  Bought myself a GSA because I couldn't trust my CVO, especially on those days riding across the top of Australia.  200 miles between towns.  No phone reception. 100 deg plus heat and all the boys want to run at 100 all day.

heyboom

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

I had the 2017 CVO Street Glide w/ the 114". I upgraded to the Stage IV 117". I put 1200 miles on it before it started to make some engine noise. I brought it to Great South HD and they took it in. Got permission from MoCo to tear engine down. They said the oil pump failed and took the crank out. They replaced the oil pump, crank, stator, lifters, rocker arm and rockers. I put 1000 miles on it and was heading on a 72 mile trip to the dealership with my buddies. They were behind me and started smelling an awful smell. When I stopped, I could smell it. I tried getting up to 70 mph on the interstate but it wouldn't hardly do it. You could hear the throttle body sucking but the motor had no power. Luckily was almost to dealer. They took it in and the mechanic said it sumped 3 quarts of oil! They took it apart again but couldn't find anything and put it back together. The service manager said that the MoCo told them that the Milwaukee 8 was NOT designed to run at higher RPMs for an extended period. WTF. I had a 117" motor that I can't drive! I was so ticked after spending all that money. I went to Thunder Beach and saw a 2018 Road Glide CVO with the 117". I lost my ass trading for it. I just got my 1000 miles on it and me an my buddies were heading to the house after a ride. Of course my buddy wanted to challenge me. After getting to 90 mph my bike flattened out and his 107 went by me. I had no power. Continued home and barely could pull the hill to my house. I checked the oil and the stick was dry! The new freakin factory 117" motor sumped again!! This is BS!. I called Great South and told them to come get this thing and fix it. I am so sick I don't know what to do.  :worthless:

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »

I had the 2017 CVO Street Glide w/ the 114". I upgraded to the Stage IV 117". I put 1200 miles on it before it started to make some engine noise. I brought it to Great South HD and they took it in. Got permission from MoCo to tear engine down. They said the oil pump failed and took the crank out. They replaced the oil pump, crank, stator, lifters, rocker arm and rockers. I put 1000 miles on it and was heading on a 72 mile trip to the dealership with my buddies. They were behind me and started smelling an awful smell. When I stopped, I could smell it. I tried getting up to 70 mph on the interstate but it wouldn't hardly do it. You could hear the throttle body sucking but the motor had no power. Luckily was almost to dealer. They took it in and the mechanic said it sumped 3 quarts of oil! They took it apart again but couldn't find anything and put it back together. The service manager said that the MoCo told them that the Milwaukee 8 was NOT designed to run at higher RPMs for an extended period. WTF. I had a 117" motor that I can't drive! I was so ticked after spending all that money. I went to Thunder Beach and saw a 2018 Road Glide CVO with the 117". I lost my ass trading for it. I just got my 1000 miles on it and me an my buddies were heading to the house after a ride. Of course my buddy wanted to challenge me. After getting to 90 mph my bike flattened out and his 107 went by me. I had no power. Continued home and barely could pull the hill to my house. I checked the oil and the stick was dry! The new freakin factory 117" motor sumped again!! This is BS!. I called Great South and told them to come get this thing and fix it. I am so sick I don't know what to do.  :worthless:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Been down the exact same path last year on my 2017 CVO Limited. Sad to say, but I think you may be one of many owners to report similar problems with their M8 bikes as the riding season gets into full gear. I am on my 3rd Stage IV 117 (all costs covered by warranty) with the last one installed last week. So far it feels terrific and I'm hoping they have it finally figured out with "one off" cylinders, pistons and rings and the latest oil pump they installed. I have to save the difference with the Stage IV is just really terrific which is why I keep trying to get the MoCo to deliver on their "promise" and advertising for the Stage IV.

It really is addictive power and hard to go back to stock but its has to function as designed for the long haul. I wish you the best and hopefully they get you on a good path. Keep us informed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:30:33 PM by Heatwave »

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »

OH MY GOD ILL BET YOUR ARE feeling so sorry for you and all the money you spent

mark

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

We feel your pain, brother.  You buy a top-of-the-line product, which costs as much as a fully loaded pickup truck, and it basically isn't rideable or reliable.  JM2C, but I suspect the MoCo can't address the real reason for M8 sumping because the fix would be too costly.  Until proven wrong, I'm of the opinion they are trying to correct the root cause with Band-Aids, hoping one of their solutions can counter the true problem.   

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »

I had the 2017 CVO Street Glide w/ the 114". I upgraded to the Stage IV 117". I went to Thunder Beach and saw a 2018 Road Glide CVO with the 117". I lost my ass trading for it.

I know I'm not the brightest light bulb on the shelf. but why would you trade a 2017 with M8 motor for a 2018 with M8 motor, knowing they're still having issues ? just asking? Me, as bad as I'd like a 114 or117, I'm staying away from the M8's until the MoCo  resolves the sumping issue.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.