Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42991 times)

heyboom

Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »

08Glide, I made the assumption that the problem with sumping was just w/ the stage III & IVs. Little did I know that it is the M8s!! I just heard that the 19s are supposed to have a new oiling system, not just a band-aid oil pump that does nothing to fix the problem. I probably need to start finding a consumer protection attorney wiling to take on the MoCo.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

08Glide, I made the assumption that the problem with sumping was just w/ the stage III & IVs. Little did I know that it is the M8s!! I just heard that the 19s are supposed to have a new oiling system, not just a band-aid oil pump that does nothing to fix the problem. I probably need to start finding a consumer protection attorney wiling to take on the MoCo.

Source?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2018, 07:30:24 PM »

Source?
"Poolboy" of course.... or maybe it's "Mr. Kool-Aid" now.  ::) :P :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

heyboom

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »

My buddy was at Sturgis and talked with the Harley rep and that is what the rep told him. Don't know if it is so, but I hope it is.

J.D.

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »

If the '19s have a new design, that will be easy enough to confirm as soon as the part number books are published.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »

My buddy was at Sturgis and talked with the Harley rep and that is what the rep told him. Don't know if it is so, but I hope it is.

"Poolboy" of course.... or maybe it's "Mr. Kool-Aid" now.  ::) :P :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Mr. Aid....   Oooohhhhhh.  That's a primary source if ever there was one.

So someone told someone told someone to one of us who posted it online.

The PoolBoy (when he's not dead) is never going to be out of work.  I remember the first time I met the PoolBoy.  It was... well, made my special places tingle just being in the same space.  At least I think it was him.  Might have been Bad Howie.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 01:22:51 AM »

Well if they did fix the problem with a new oiling system on the 19's then they would have to get rid of the left over 17's & 18's first with maybe some discounts or something.  Wait isn't that what they are doing?  Hmmm........
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:16 AM »

Mr. Aid....   Oooohhhhhh.  That's a primary source if ever there was one.

So someone told someone told someone to one of us who posted it online.

The PoolBoy (when he's not dead) is never going to be out of work.  I remember the first time I met the PoolBoy.  It was... well, made my special places tingle just being in the same space.  At least I think it was him.  Might have been Bad Howie.

Pshaw & shucks. We have avoided a synthetic vs dino chit flinging monkeyfest  Kool Aid oil type thread up until now. The Pool Boy was disguised as "somebody I know at the York Factory" just last year.  Pool Boy (alias "Factory Somebody") told a friend - it might have been an acquaintance or a guy behind another guy in line at the Tastee Freeze or at Putt Putt Wacky Golf - that the M8 oil sump issue was fixed in the new 2018 bikes.  When I pointed out that the 2018 bike M8s were not a redesign of the 2017 M8s & so far the "new" oil pumps were also failing, my observation was not deemed acceptable because - let's face it, I am no "Factory Somebody Pool Boy." 

Bad Howie would have been a great addition to the mgt. of the MoCo's Warranty Dept. but somehow that never happened.  Darn shame.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »

I know I'm not the brightest light bulb on the shelf. but why would you trade a 2017 with M8 motor for a 2018 with M8 motor, knowing they're still having issues ? just asking? Me, as bad as I'd like a 114 or117, I'm staying away from the M8's until the MoCo  resolves the sumping issue.

I traded a 17 CVO Street Glide for an 18 CVO Road Glide.  Put 21K on the 17 CVO SG, but was not a real fan of the Street glide, beautiful bike.  Street glide is just not my preference.  It was the first Street Glide I have ever owned.  I went back to a CVO Road Glide, my 4th CVO RG.  I like the RG much better  What surprised me is the motor is stronger in the 18.  Really did not think 3" would make a difference.  The 18 has a different cam so that must be were the extra power comes from.

I was already on a bike with the possibility of dumping, bought it in Sept of 2016, long before any one heard of sumping. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »

The Harley "reps" stationed at various events aren't necessarily technical people, but more often just marketing (sales) types.  The same thing goes for most auto companies at the various auto shows btw.  So I wouldn't take anything one of the folks in a manufacturer's booth at a show says as gospel.

IF they were to redesign the oiling system for 2019, that should make all the people dealing with multiple failures on their 2017/2018 bikes happy.  Just imagine what your lawyer could do with that information when it comes time to sue the beejesus out of Harley for a full refund as well as punitive damages.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:21 AM »

Jokes aside they Should redesign the oil system on the 19's and that could / would be a legal disaster for HD as above post states if they didn't take care of the 17's & 18's first or at all.  I Guess time will tell....
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:48:16 AM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »

I traded a 17 CVO Street Glide for an 18 CVO Road Glide.  Put 21K on the 17 CVO SG, but was not a real fan of the Street glide, beautiful bike.  Street glide is just not my preference.  It was the first Street Glide I have ever owned.  I went back to a CVO Road Glide, my 4th CVO RG.  I like the RG much better  What surprised me is the motor is stronger in the 18.  Really did not think 3" would make a difference.  The 18 has a different cam so that must be were the extra power comes from.

I was already on a bike with the possibility of dumping, bought it in Sept of 2016, long before any one heard of sumping.
Dave, you and got our street glides at just about the same time. Crazy thing is i went 16,000 miles with zero issues and then 3 motors in 2 months. A complete head scratcher that no one can come up with a good answer for. Rep thinks I stated riding more aggressively which is simply not true. Of course I told him if I was riding crazy aggressively as in abusive as he was suggesting there would be obvious signs of that.
Maybe you switching bikes when you did you dodged a bullet? I guess that doesn’t really make sense either since I have been reading same stories of the 18’s.
Whatever is going on with these M8’s, not good!
Alan

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:05 AM »

Dave, you and got our street glides at just about the same time. Crazy thing is i went 16,000 miles with zero issues and then 3 motors in 2 months. A complete head scratcher that no one can come up with a good answer for. Rep thinks I stated riding more aggressively which is simply not true. Of course I told him if I was riding crazy aggressively as in abusive as he was suggesting there would be obvious signs of that.
Maybe you switching bikes when you did you dodged a bullet? I guess that doesn’t really make sense either since I have been reading same stories of the 18’s.
I know the feeling. and it is not good when we see no fix in sight. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »

I fully agree.  Way to many have summed.  Never had an issue with the 17, and put 21K on it.  I ride it hard, but do not abuse it.  My bikes draw top dollar at a year or two old with high miles.  I doubt you ride banging on your rev limiter.  I know I ride 2500 to 4000 rpm most the time, and higher some times.  300 miles is a day ride in the twisties, and I run the curves fairly hard.  I have also done long days at 80 mph on the interstate.

The new 18 CVO RG, I did a SS1000 in 16 hours, took a nap and finished the BB1500 in 33 hours.  Cruise at 80 mph the whole time.  Ran home from Daytona a bit over 600 miles all two lane, lots twisty mountain roads.  No issue.

That said I worry it will sump.  Main reason I have not done a 124 kit on it.  I do have a complete fullsac exhaust, TTS tuner and a good dyno tune.

It really sucks the issues you have had Alan.  So the screen name was just a one day change?
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2018, 01:08:55 AM »

I fully agree.  Way to many have summed.  Never had an issue with the 17, and put 21K on it.  I ride it hard, but do not abuse it.  My bikes draw top dollar at a year or two old with high miles.  I doubt you ride banging on your rev limiter.  I know I ride 2500 to 4000 rpm most the time, and higher some times.  300 miles is a day ride in the twisties, and I run the curves fairly hard.  I have also done long days at 80 mph on the interstate.

The new 18 CVO RG, I did a SS1000 in 16 hours, took a nap and finished the BB1500 in 33 hours.  Cruise at 80 mph the whole time.  Ran home from Daytona a bit over 600 miles all two lane, lots twisty mountain roads.  No issue.

That said I worry it will sump.  Main reason I have not done a 124 kit on it.  I do have a complete fullsac exhaust, TTS tuner and a good dyno tune.

It really sucks the issues you have had Alan.  So the screen name was just a one day change?
The last 2 motors I did not run over 4000 rpm as I never made it over the 1000 mile break in with either. 2nd motor I was on the freeway doing right around 75 mph, 3rd motor I was on backroads so who knows.
Not sure what i was doing with the screen names but I fixed it..
I did switch my photo to my 12 Roadglide! Thankfully that bike is running great! Of course it doesn't have a Harley motor, juzsaying..
Alan
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.