Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42130 times)

Bumpandrun

Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »

I am having the same feelings. Haven’t had time to ride since I bought my CVO Streetglide last year. So it hasn’t sumped sitting in my garage! Recently called the selling dealership and asked about sumping. Didn’t know the service writer whom I talked to, but said they have not had this issue. Ok. So, I called again the following week and talked to a friend that is the service manager there. I do trust his opinion. He also said this has not been an issue in regards to sumping.
Although I do feel a little better, I am still concerned.
Maybe for the 125th anniversary, it’ll all be figured out!!
I too asked a friend at a dealership he said they get more questions about it than anything......big dealership and not one has showed up yet.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »

I'm with you on this. I'm taking a 1400M trip to Sturgis and hope I don't run into any issues.
[/quoteyou trailering it or riding .  i would to be real honest  never ever attempt to ride a m8 that far without a  trailer close by.   at least from i have seen  and none of it is good .   

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »

I too asked a friend at a dealership he said they get more questions about it than anything......big dealership and not one has showed up yet.

they must not sell many bikes 

odessyblueIke

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO limited 115th Anniv.
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »

Read through this thread and don't remember seeing any 2018 M8 owners having this issue, did I miss them?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:25:21 PM by odessyblueIke »

chinashop bull

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2018, 07:30:23 PM »

Read through this post and don't remember seeing any 2018 M8 owners having this issue, did I miss them?

Maybe not in this thread but over 1/2 a dozen other threads with plenty 2018 bikes

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »

OK, I will stop torturing everyone with this thread and deal with it myself but unbelievably the bike sumped today! After last week maybe the "karma Gods" are paying me back but went about 100 miles today with bike running great, stopped to get a drink and when I took off huge loss of power. went about 5 miles and pulled over at a gas station and MANUALLY  checked the oil and was barely touching the stick. I was about 30 miles from the dealer and said said screw it, I am going to try and make it there as most were highway miles. I could barely get on the freeway without getting run over as I couldn't get any speed going but finally got it up to about 70. The heat coming out the right side was crazy and it was smelling like it was burning up. All this is exactly what it did the first time which ended up melting entire motor so I thought "ohh well". What I had to stop at the light at the end of the offramp I could only get the bike up to about 10 mph the couple of miles to the dealer. When I stopped all the people outside were going "I think your bike is burning up" because of the smell.
3rd motor this month-amazing!!
Not sure where this is going to go but Im sure you all are bored to death with this and must think i am exaggerating-I think I would if I were reading it. absolutely makes no sense, 16000 miles with zero issues then I cant get 1000 miles on it without scrambling the motor..
Im taking up knitting!
Any updates (that you can or wish to share) as to what is going on w/the latest sumped motor?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bumpandrun

« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »

they must not sell many bikes
well over 250....so not super big. No deals for me so not even a customer.  He just clued me in on the first crap about oil pumps that happened in the first release of the m8. Reportedly only 8 on that Internet blast.  Don't get me wrong I am sure it's happening.  Sure would like to have a part too see it.  Couple engine builders I know that take brandnew ones out of the frame and build them told me they just do a little to oil pump but don't change it and roll there eyes 🙄...125-175 hp and no problems . They must know something but don't share.But they don't play the silly stage game the dealers do. Probably not a good idea for a MOCO dealership parts changer to be doing engine work anyway.  But what are going to do if u want to keep a warranty........ I'll probably bust open my motor this winter to have a look see.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:50:18 PM by Bumpandrun »

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2018, 10:22:41 PM »

Any updates (that you can or wish to share) as to what is going on w/the latest sumped motor?

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

the same ole chit.  HD seems to want to leave thousands of people hanging out the dry  when the warranty is gone. many then will be paying for a fix that should never ever happen to a customer with all the failures and multiple failures for many  riders.  the expense and the never knowing if you dare venture a hundred miles from home  and having to cancel  reservations, fun trips with friends cause  HD has failed the public they will  more than likely get away with this failed   m8 experiment unfortunately

Bumpandrun

« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:55 AM »

the same ole chit.  HD seems to want to leave thousands of people hanging out the dry  when the warranty is gone. many then will be paying for a fix that should never ever happen to a customer with all the failures and multiple failures for many  riders.  the expense and the never knowing if you dare venture a hundred miles from home  and having to cancel  reservations, fun trips with friends cause  HD has failed the public they will  more than likely get away with this failed   m8 experiment unfortunately
. Thousands?  List 40 or  50 please .....I have seen 18-25 all over the net but seem to be the same unfortunate guys.....stuck at crappy dealerships.( have to agree that's too many)  Too me not thousands and I have been snopping around dealerships since m8 came out from south fla vegas( 250 rentals) to Nebraska up too Maine . Only one I have seen cracked open was in VT.....being hot rodded.  Remember our dear EVO inner cam bearings? Only repaired one case in my life. The infamous twink cam tensioners ? Ever twink on the planet was going to blow up? I made a bunch of money pulling those apart to not find maybe 3 bad out of lots.......every one of these farm tractors have had issues over the years.  Till the next one! 😎🍻. Ride it or sell it...why worry ...life is too short for reservations........

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »

. Thousands?  List 40 or  50 please .....I have seen 18-25 all over the net but seem to be the same unfortunate guys.....stuck at crappy dealerships.( have to agree that's too many)  Too me not thousands and I have been snopping around dealerships since m8 came out from south fla vegas( 250 rentals) to Nebraska up too Maine . Only one I have seen cracked open was in VT.....being hot rodded.  Remember our dear EVO inner cam bearings? Only repaired one case in my life. The infamous twink cam tensioners ? Ever twink on the planet was going to blow up? I made a bunch of money pulling those apart to not find maybe 3 bad out of lots.......every one of these farm tractors have had issues over the years.  Till the next one! 😎🍻. Ride it or sell it...why worry ...life is too short for reservations........

Several M8 owners have had multiple engine sumping problems - no doubt.  Most have Stage 3 or 4 upgrade from what I read.  I know more than a few 2017 & 2018 M8 owners.  Not a single one with any engine problems - no sumping.  Mine included. I have been known to enjoy what some call "airing it out" & don't consider myself especially easy on engines.

Does that mean I won't have a problem someday?  Nope.  Does this mean I find that the problem is less widespread than some believe?  Yes.  Does that mean the problem could not eventually become more widespread?  It won't unless it does. For many riders, the M8s are great bikes.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »

I for one cannot tell you actual numbers but if you actually believe what you say bout the m8 and  other hd motors your foolin yourself and that is ok by me.  personally I have only seen a few of them myself. lots of dealers on forums and builders who guess have been lying all these years  huh?

J.D.

« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »

There's clearly an issue here with the M8 design and while the MoCo is doing its best to conceal it they've certainly acknowledged it at this point.  The cause and extent of it is not yet known.  Unfortunately, like some of the TC engine "reliability" issues (early tensioners, later lifters), they won't be realized until after the factory warranty period.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »

There's clearly an issue here with the M8 design and while the MoCo is doing its best to conceal it they've certainly acknowledged it at this point.  The cause and extent of it is not yet known.  Unfortunately, like some of the TC engine "reliability" issues (early tensioners, later lifters), they won't be realized until after the factory warranty period.
My 07 comp assembly failed within days after warranty expired. Zero help from the MOCO. One of the reasons have not bought a new HD. I'm not about to buy another new one just to start spending $$ to correct the MOCO's short comings. With the high price they charge for their their so called best. I still hope they get better but not seeing it yet.  :jack: Sorry carry on.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »

My question was for the OP (Alan) of whose post I quoted.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bumpandrun

« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »

I for one cannot tell you actual numbers but if you actually believe what you say bout the m8 and  other hd motors your foolin yourself and that is ok by me.  personally I have only seen a few of them myself. lots of dealers on forums and builders who guess have been lying all these years  huh?
I guess....like I said. EVO inner cam bearing....twink every one was going to blow up because of tensioners ...real deal was cranks twisting but nobody went crazy with that warranty never would touch it.  This m8 the first thing was the crying about liquid leaking....and a few did. Lol.
I don't fool myself sir....I do own one of all of them back too a 62 sporty. Little more experience with motors....no matter what they are in or on than just these.  Sure would like to see pictures of the inside of these blow up motors and sumpin new 😂..  If u have motor work done at a dealer I will say this.....your flat out foolish .  Chrome cup holder installers shouldn't be doing a motor that takes a good builder a few days to machine and assemble.That includes installing long blocks or any part if it.  But it's back to warranty and I get that ....not one should be bad.
It happens in every industry.
Well spent too much time on this already and guys here were helpful .  Off to Laconia on my m8 twink staying home today .
I ll let u know when mine comes unglued......
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 22 queries.