Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson took its tax cut, closed a factory, and rewarded shareholders.  (Read 1012 times)

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King Anniversary FLHRSE5 #165
    • CVO2: (2007 CVO Dyna Twilight Blue Ice Blue Pearl/Granite)

“Tax reform can put American manufacturers and American companies like Harley-Davidson on a much better footing to compete in the global economy and keep jobs here in America,” House Speaker Paul Ryan told workers and company leaders.  Four months later and 500 miles away in Kansas City, Missouri, 800 workers at a Harley-Davidson factory were told they would lose their jobs when the plant closed its doors and shifted operations to a facility in York, Pennsylvania — a net loss of 350 jobs. Workers and union representatives say they didn’t see it coming. Just days later, the company announced a dividend increase and a stock buyback plan to repurchase 15 million of its shares, valued at about $696 million.  :soapbox: :oops: :'(
THE MORE SERIOUSLY I TOOK THINGS, THE HARDER THE RULES BECAME.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

you do realize that these things are not all related?  the decision to close kc was not made as a result of the tax cut.  that's something that's been in the works for a while.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member

I agree not related.

That being said anyone who thinks the big corps are going to use those tax cuts to create jobs is drinking some stiff kool-aide.

Lots of moving parts to this conversation. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

V Rods & Dynas no longer in production drove this decision as much as anything, besides the overall decline of sales in the motorcycle market.

Share buyback is done by many companies when stock is considered to be at a low sell point.  HD had a dismal year in the market, stock is down YTD a little over $10 per share or about 20%.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.