Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited ... 3rd engine sumped just like the 2 before  (Read 10545 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

Quick update. Picked up my 2017 CVO Limited with its 4th engine this afternoon. A factory built 117 Stage IV with a 2019 case. Yes...2019 case. Your engine case # can be viewed with a flashlight from under the right side of the engine. NOT the #s stamped on the bottom of the case but the numbers on the lower right side of the engine. The first 2 digits are the model year designation.

My dealer did a terrific job. The tech swapped out the engine in a single day. He's gotten pretty good as you can imagine since this is my 4th engine! (The tech and the shop got a very nice "bonus" from me for turning the bike around so quick, particularly given their work schedule this time of year.) The tech test rode it this morning. Of course it was a bit easier to install this crate engine because it had clearly been dynoed at the factory. Oil, fuel and coolant lines were installed as well as TB and injectors. There was even a bit of fuel still in the fuel line when it was uncrated.

I rode the bike 120 miles this afternoon. Interstate, backroads, 3 times around my 25 mile loop, stop & go commuter traffic too.

DAMN!!!

Gotcha.... that's a good DAMN! Of course its only 120 miles, but I know what to look for now and how to find early signs of sumping. I stayed within all break-in procedures even knowing the engine was probably run on a dyno. First 50 miles - under 3000 rpms. Everything else so far - around 3500 max. A few shifts slightly over but nothing over 3800.

There is definitely something different about this engine. MUCH crisper throttle response even running in 90 degrees. Much cooler running based on limited coolant fans turning on. I was surprised how little the fans were on given the outside temps. Fans really only came on in the stop & go commuter traffic and it was scorching just sitting in the sun. Much better torque down low than any of the 3 earlier engines.

I can't wait to explore the performance above 3500 after its more completely broken in and I have 400-500 miles on the engine (should be by late tomorrow).

Unfortunately I have no idea what's inside this engine other than its a 117 Stage IV built from a 2019 case at the factory. I will be riding it about 600-800 miles starting earlier tomorrow morning through Sunday and will have a much better idea if these early good signs are for real.

BUT, if this 2019 engine IS for real, this is EXACTLY the way all CVOs should be built. HD should stop screwing around and build the CVOs just like this with this engine. It will satisfy 95% of all riders, even power junkies. Its really that good!

Now let's see if my early enthusiasm remains through the weekend, or was all this just a mirage? I would really like to know what changes they've made to this engine because if it holds through the weekend, then the MoCo has finally made some real changes that make for a terrific engine. Look for an update around Memorial Day. Hopefully its a positive update and not a quick update from the side of the road waiting for a tow!!
Rooting for you again Heatwave!!
Alan

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

Hoping this one is the last one you will need.  Sure sounds like a good motor, even at break in.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I'm also crossing my fingers for you, hoping they finally got it right and you can just ride without worrying about the engine.

IF the new cases turn out to be the fix, the next question has to be what are they going to do for all the people running 2017/2018 cases?  I can't see Harley voluntarily replacing cases in all the M8's they've sold so far.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quick update. Picked up my 2017 CVO Limited with its 4th engine this afternoon. A factory built 117 Stage IV with a 2019 case. Yes...2019 case. Your engine case # can be viewed with a flashlight from under the right side of the engine. NOT the #s stamped on the bottom of the case but the numbers on the lower right side of the engine. The first 2 digits are the model year designation.

My dealer did a terrific job. The tech swapped out the engine in a single day. He's gotten pretty good as you can imagine since this is my 4th engine! (The tech and the shop got a very nice "bonus" from me for turning the bike around so quick, particularly given their work schedule this time of year.) The tech test rode it this morning. Of course it was a bit easier to install this crate engine because it had clearly been dynoed at the factory. Oil, fuel and coolant lines were installed as well as TB and injectors. There was even a bit of fuel still in the fuel line when it was uncrated.

I rode the bike 120 miles this afternoon. Interstate, backroads, 3 times around my 25 mile loop, stop & go commuter traffic too.

DAMN!!!

Gotcha.... that's a good DAMN! Of course its only 120 miles, but I know what to look for now and how to find early signs of sumping. I stayed within all break-in procedures even knowing the engine was probably run on a dyno. First 50 miles - under 3000 rpms. Everything else so far - around 3500 max. A few shifts slightly over but nothing over 3800.

There is definitely something different about this engine. MUCH crisper throttle response even running in 90 degrees. Much cooler running based on limited coolant fans turning on. I was surprised how little the fans were on given the outside temps. Fans really only came on in the stop & go commuter traffic and it was scorching just sitting in the sun. Much better torque down low than any of the 3 earlier engines.

I can't wait to explore the performance above 3500 after its more completely broken in and I have 400-500 miles on the engine (should be by late tomorrow).

Unfortunately I have no idea what's inside this engine other than its a 117 Stage IV built from a 2019 case at the factory. I will be riding it about 600-800 miles starting earlier tomorrow morning through Sunday and will have a much better idea if these early good signs are for real.

BUT, if this 2019 engine IS for real, this is EXACTLY the way all CVOs should be built. HD should stop screwing around and build the CVOs just like this with this engine. It will satisfy 95% of all riders, even power junkies. Its really that good!

Now let's see if my early enthusiasm remains through the weekend, or was all this just a mirage? I would really like to know what changes they've made to this engine because if it holds through the weekend, then the MoCo has finally made some real changes that make for a terrific engine. Look for an update around Memorial Day. Hopefully its a positive update and not a quick update from the side of the road waiting for a tow!!
you sure of the 19 cases?  form what a few dealers are saying there is no 19 case out there yet anyway.     how or what is it that make you or someone believe they are 19 case? what is the differcance between the 19 and  18 or 17 cases. really wondering     

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

you sure of the 19 cases?  form what a few dealers are saying there is no 19 case out there yet anyway.     how or what is it that make you or someone believe they are 19 case? what is the differcance between the 19 and  18 or 17 cases. really wondering     

Yes, its a 2019 engine. See the 6th sentence in my quick update post. I have no idea what the difference is betwee this 2019 case and my previous 2017 AND 2018 engines since it was built st the factory and has not been opened. Now at 450 miles since i Picked it up yesterday. Simply fabulous engine so far. It was low 90’s here in Va and neither highway speeds or stop & go traffic phased this engine. So far I am VERY impressed. I still need run time over 4000rpms to have confidence. Hopefully tomorrow.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

Yes, its a 2019 engine. See the 6th sentence in my quick update post. I have no idea what the difference is betwee this 2019 case and my previous 2017 AND 2018 engines since it was built st the factory and has not been opened. Now at 450 miles since i Picked it up yesterday. Simply fabulous engine so far. It  was low 90’s here in Va and neither highway speeds or stop & go traffic phased this engine. So far I am VERY impressed. I still need run time over 4000rpms to have confidence. Hopefully tomorrow.
Where in "Va" are you? I'm here also... I thought you were in/from NJ.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Yes, its a 2019 engine. See the 6th sentence in my quick update post. I have no idea what the difference is betwee this 2019 case and my previous 2017 AND 2018 engines since it was built st the factory and has not been opened. Now at 450 miles since i Picked it up yesterday. Simply fabulous engine so far. It was low 90’s here in Va and neither highway speeds or stop & go traffic phased this engine. So far I am VERY impressed. I still need run time over 4000rpms to have confidence. Hopefully tomorrow.

Is the number a second VIN derivative ID # or a casting number?  Harley usually gets picky about mismatched VIN engine IDs when doing replacements.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

Is the number a second VIN derivative ID # or a casting number?  Harley usually gets picky about mismatched VIN engine IDs when doing replacements.
Bike would be illegal without matching vin numbers. Harley would have bigger issues than a motor blowing up if they released that..
Sure its just some confusion, if not you just hit the lottery.. don't believe 19's have cleared EPA yet nor would your tittle be correct
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:10:56 PM by SDCVO »
Alan

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

my understanding is they di change the stock cams in these 18s.  supposedly they do run much better than  previos stock cams in this motor

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Where in "Va" are you? I'm here also... I thought you were in/from NJ.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

In Alexandria tonite and tomorrow nite. Riding to Gilligans and Old Alexandria tomorrow.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

Bike would be illegal without matching vin numbers. Harley would have bigger issues than a motor blowing up if they released that..
Sure its just some confusion, if not you just hit the lottery.. don't believe 19's have cleared EPA yet nor would your tittle be correct

The last engine that sumped was a 2018 according to the number on case. I’d be interested in the case  # on other 2017 bikes that have had their engine replaced. Its easy enough to check on any bike.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:13:04 AM by Heatwave »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

I’m curious. Can you check the engine code on the lower right side of the engine? Its raltively easy to take a phone pic of with the bike on the kickstand. I’m curious if the first 2 digits of your engine code match the model yr of the bike.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

If you're talking about a ten character number stamped into a flat machined surface on the lower side of the engine, that is the abbreviated vehicle identification number.  The full VIN is seventeen characters.  Unless I'm confused, the model year designator for the current decade is a letter, not the single number used for the previous decade.  If you're seeing a 19, that's most likely not the model year code.  It should be an H for 2017, a J for 2018, or a K for 2019.  Look at the tenth character in the full VIN on your bike, that is the date code

List the actual code you have on that new engine and perhaps one of us can interpret.  See if the last six digits match the last six of your full VIN - they should if Harley did it right.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

If you're talking about a ten character number stamped into a flat machined surface on the lower side of the engine, that is the abbreviated vehicle identification number.  The full VIN is seventeen characters.  Unless I'm confused, the model year designator for the current decade is a letter, not the single number used for the previous decade.  If you're seeing a 19, that's most likely not the model year code.  It should be an H for 2017, a J for 2018, or a K for 2019.  Look at the tenth character in the full VIN on your bike, that is the date code

List the actual code you have on that new engine and perhaps one of us can interpret.  See if the last six digits match the last six of your full VIN - they should if Harley did it right.

Jerry

Thanks, maybe someone can interpret the stampings. My dealer said it was a 2019 based on the code but he could have been mistaken.

Engine code lower ride side after the HD logo: 1941803116
Engine case part # : 13708454 (stamped twice, once on each half case)

If anyone can decipher these engine codes, post it up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:53:55 AM by Heatwave »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

In Alexandria tonite and tomorrow nite. Riding to Gilligans and Old Alexandria tomorrow.
Gotcha… sounds like you are down here/up there for Rolling Thunder. I'm hundred + miles away and not doing RT this year. Enjoy. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.