Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited ... 3rd engine sumped just like the 2 before  (Read 10446 times)

J.D.

I'm so happy for you and also to hear HD seems to have figured this issue out.  Hopefully they make things right for others in similar situations.  Will certainly do alot to increase my opinion of the MoCo, which for the last decade has been pretty low.

mark

I'm telling you, put this factory engine in the hands of ANY touring bike owner and he'll never think of owning a different brand. My confidence is fully back. I just rode 250 miles this morning and I already miss riding the bike, its that much fun.

Really?  I'm not sure the Indian, Goldwing, and BMW crowd is going to jump on the bandwagon because HD corrected a design flaw.  Many of those "other" touring bike owners came off of HDs and went elsewhere out of frustration.  I don't see them coming back to the old girlfriend because she had some corrective surgery.  I hope the sumping issued is in fact solved with redesigned cases.  But, that also tells me every M8 should have the cases replaced - and that's not going to happen.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)

I'm telling you, put this factory engine in the hands of ANY touring bike owner and he'll never think of owning a different brand. My confidence is fully back. I just rode 250 miles this morning and I already miss riding the bike, its that much fun.

Really?  I'm not sure the Indian, Goldwing, and BMW crowd is going to jump on the bandwagon because HD corrected a design flaw.  Many of those "other" touring bike owners came off of HDs and went elsewhere out of frustration.  I don't see them coming back to the old girlfriend because she had some corrective surgery.  I hope the sumping issued is in fact solved with redesigned cases.  But, that also tells me every M8 should have the cases replaced - and that's not going to happen.

Yep, REALLY!!!!

Remember, this is a 117 STAGE IV M8 engine built at the factory. You won't get this level of power in ANY Factory Touring bike other than BMW. If power drives the bulk of your decision making on a Touring bike, you won't be able to match it with Indian or Goldwing. OTOH, if you aren't motivated by engine power in your Touring bike, then any of those other brands are clearly great alternatives. But any guy motivated by a Stage IV upgrade will find this engine the envy of any factory touring bike engine.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Yep, REALLY!!!!

Remember, this is a 117 STAGE IV M8 engine built at the factory. You won't get this level of power in ANY Factory Touring bike other than BMW. If power drives the bulk of your decision making on a Touring bike, you won't be able to match it with Indian or Goldwing. OTOH, if you aren't motivated by engine power in your Touring bike, then any of those other brands are clearly great alternatives. But any guy motivated by a Stage IV upgrade will find this engine the envy of any factory touring bike engine.
Hoping this motor you have stays together for you and you get to ride it for thousands of mile without a hiccup.  still waiting for my new motor  for which I have had several. have had other issues besides the sumping which I think have been cured months ago. The issues with the sump problem is very concerning.   

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

A quick update. I took the bike out for a "crisp" higher rpm ride up through lots of mountainous (for NW Jersey) roads. 94 degrees outside. The  ride was about 60 miles. No highways, just tons of twisties that really gave the bike a workout over 90 mins. This engine is a blast. I was riding to my dealer (the long way) to get new rubber (Michelin Commander IIs) and an oil change (Syn3) before hitting the road to Americade (NY/VT) for probably another 600-800 mile long weekend. I should really know the status of this #4 engine after I return mid next week.

By the time I got to the dealer this afternoon, the engine was definitely HOT and breaking a sweat but still running terrific. I asked the service rep that knows my bike well if he would do the sumping check while it was hot. He said he was as interested to find out as I was. After pulling the CKP sensor, there was 1 or possibly 2 ounces in the engine case. Given how hard I had just run the engine, I was surprised it didn't have more but pleased with the results. Time for new oil, new rubber and another great ride this weekend. 

Lots of riding in June. Including Laconia BikeWeek (NH)  and a ride through the Alps at the end of June on a guided trip through Germany/Austria to Prague, Czech Republic for the HD 115th Euro Celebration. But that will be on a rented 2018 Ultra Limited. Let's hope my rental doesn't sump!!

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A quick update. I took the bike out for a "crisp" higher rpm ride up through lots of mountainous (for NW Jersey) roads. 94 degrees outside. The  ride was about 60 miles. No highways, just tons of twisties that really gave the bike a workout over 90 mins. This engine is a blast. I was riding to my dealer (the long way) to get new rubber (Michelin Commander IIs) and an oil change (Syn3) before hitting the road to Americade (NY/VT) for probably another 600-800 mile long weekend. I should really know the status of this #4 engine after I return mid next week.

By the time I got to the dealer this afternoon, the engine was definitely HOT and breaking a sweat but still running terrific. I asked the service rep that knows my bike well if he would do the sumping check while it was hot. He said he was as interested to find out as I was. After pulling the CKP sensor, there was 1 or possibly 2 ounces in the engine case. Given how hard I had just run the engine, I was surprised it didn't have more but pleased with the results. Time for new oil, new rubber and another great ride this weekend.

Lots of riding in June. Including Laconia BikeWeek (NH)  and a ride through the Alps at the end of June on a guided trip through Germany/Austria to Prague, Czech Republic for the HD 115th Euro Celebration. But that will be on a rented 2018 Ultra Limited. Let's hope my rental doesn't sump!!
  how hard are you running it rpm wise, speed wise we know they are really held up too.  but curious what  running hard is . 
thanks  hope it hangs tuff for you. you  deserve a  good running bike without a doubt.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

how hard are you running it rpm wise, speed wise we know they are really held up too.  but curious what  running hard is . 
thanks  hope it hangs tuff for you. you  deserve a  good running bike without a doubt.

I would say speeds in the 30-60mph and rpms running between 3500 and 5500 for shifting. Lots of downshifting going into turns and upshifting halfway through the curve when I can see through it. Stage IV was designed to excel in that rpm range.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:48:10 PM by Heatwave »

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I would say speeds in the 30-60mph and rpms running between 3500 and 5500 for shifting. Lots of downshifting going into turns and upshifting halfway through the curve when I can see through it. Stage IV was designed to excel in that rpm range.

hope it keeps on keeping on.  the best of luck to you .

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

Nice to hear of your happiness finally you deserve it.  :2vrolijk_21:

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)

How did the bike do to and from Laconia?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

How did the bike do to and from Laconia?

Plans changed and I was unable to make it to Laconia this year. 1500 miles on the 4th engine and it runs great.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)

I'm checking in again to see how the new motor is holding up?  :nixweiss:
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

I'm checking in again to see how the new motor is holding up?  :nixweiss:
you have to wonder how that 19 motor pans out?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

you have to wonder how that 19 motor pans out?

Alls good but I’m in Europe on a rented Harley in Prague, Austria and Germany. I haven’t been on my bike in a while as I’m traveling.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:16:37 PM by Heatwave »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU

Alls good but I’m in Europe on a rented Harley in Prague, Austria and Germany. I haven’t been on my bike in a while as I’m traveling.
That's one way to avoid problems!

Just wondering when the rest of us are going to get our factory-built Stage 4 M8 engine?  You definitely deserve it after your saga.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.