Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Mid Frame Deflectors  (Read 8485 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Mid Frame Deflectors
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »

Done a search and found a little information but all of it revolved around the rider. Is anyone using then 2up and can the BSR tell any difference in heat or airflow?

Thanks
David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Mid Frame Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »

Done a search and found a little information but all of it revolved around the rider. Is anyone using then 2up and can the BSR tell any difference in heat or airflow?

Thanks
David

I see them a lot and was wondering the same thing.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:28 AM »

As a rider they certainly help keep the heat off my thighs.
 And if you think about what they are doing, scooping the hot and forcing it towards the center of the frame then down towards the ground in front of the back wheel certainly must help the passenger also.
Only way to know for sure would be take a ride with the passenger, then install a pair and ride the same route and see what they think.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »

As a rider they certainly help keep the heat off my thighs.
 And if you think about what they are doing, scooping the hot and forcing it towards the center of the frame then down towards the ground in front of the back wheel certainly must help the passenger also.
Only way to know for sure would be take a ride with the passenger, then install a pair and ride the same route and see what they think.
Sure sounds good in theory and kind of looks like we may be trying it out to see the outcome

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »

Had them since the 05 SEEG. Wife feels like they keep heat off her feet. I think they help with my thighs. Plus they look pretty cool when painted to match the bike.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »

G’day David,

We ride almost always two up & mostly like to tour. When I first moved Stateside I bought an 11 FLTRUSE which did not have mid frame deflectors. We went to Arizona bike week & Miss Lenda found her tight foot was quite hot & I found that two of my favourite appendages felt like dim sims that had been left in the steamer way too long! Over a relatively short period of time I had the  inner right leg of 3 pairs of jeans cook the to the point where the fabric fell apart. There was no direct contact with the motor.

I had mid frame deflectors on the eglide ultra I had just before I moved over & there were no overheating issues with my precious cargo. I put some on the 11’ & it was much better but still got pretty warm in the desert in summer as you would expect.

This excessive heat was an influencing factor in my decision to upgrade to Lucille.  As a 15 FLTRUSE, Lucille came with the deflectors.

Yes it still gets hot in the summer especially on long runs in the desert. However, there is a significant difference in the amount of heat being radiated to my leg, the aforementioned dim sums & Miss Lenda’s foot. I have not had jeans disintegrate & Miss Lenda’s foot Has been more comfortable. Admittedly, Lucille has a wet head aimed to cool the exhaust header & I put in a set of Wards fans as well.

Bottom line, we noticed the difference, it was not a major purchase & it’s an easy install

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »

Had them since the 05 SEEG. Wife feels like they keep heat off her feet. I think they help with my thighs. Plus they look pretty cool when painted to match the bike.

The wife's feet is where I hear the major complaints. Thank you Don

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 08:28:01 PM »

G’day David,

We ride almost always two up & mostly like to tour. When I first moved Stateside I bought an 11 FLTRUSE which did not have mid frame deflectors. We went to Arizona bike week & Miss Lenda found her tight foot was quite hot & I found that two of my favourite appendages felt like dim sims that had been left in the steamer way too long! Over a relatively short period of time I had the  inner right leg of 3 pairs of jeans cook the to the point where the fabric fell apart. There was no direct contact with the motor.

I had mid frame deflectors on the eglide ultra I had just before I moved over & there were no overheating issues with my precious cargo. I put some on the 11’ & it was much better but still got pretty warm in the desert in summer as you would expect.

This excessive heat was an influencing factor in my decision to upgrade to Lucille.  As a 15 FLTRUSE, Lucille came with the deflectors.

Yes it still gets hot in the summer especially on long runs in the desert. However, there is a significant difference in the amount of heat being radiated to my leg, the aforementioned dim sums & Miss Lenda’s foot. I have not had jeans disintegrate & Miss Lenda’s foot Has been more comfortable. Admittedly, Lucille has a wet head aimed to cool the exhaust header & I put in a set of Wards fans as well.

Bottom line, we noticed the difference, it was not a major purchase & it’s an easy install

Cheers Tom

Thank you for the reply Tom. Between your post and Dons that was enough for me to order them. Maybe next week we will get a chance to put them on and give it a go

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »

No problems I also had them color matched by Jo Zett which certainly makes them look way better

Cheers Tom

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »

We definitely like'em. I like the color match major Tom!   8)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:03:28 PM »

No problems I also had them color matched by Jo Zett which certainly makes them look way better

Cheers Tom

Did the same with Joe
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 11:06:33 PM »

Did the same with Joe
on both bikes
Alan

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »

Nice, it makes quite a difference

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:33:15 AM »

Have them on the '05 & the '09,,, I like them,,, especially in stop n go...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »

I use leather ones from Captain Itch, HD ones I had cracked at the mount points.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

I'm not going to dispute how well they work, but to me they look like they would direct the air downward and right onto the BSR's feet.  That's why I've not installed a pair.

But if the conscious is that they DO work, I may pick up a pair next week at the HD shop in Rogers next week while in ES.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »

I'm not going to dispute how well they work, but to me they look like they would direct the air downward and right onto the BSR's feet.  That's why I've not installed a pair.

But if the conscious is that they DO work, I may pick up a pair next week at the HD shop in Rogers next week while in ES.

I should have a pair here next week. Ordered from Boardtracker last night along with wheel bearing. I am betting that the wife will let me know her thoughts very quickly

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »

I remember when we got the 09 SERG, the fellow I had painting them for me was behind and it took him about a month. The bike was brand new and we were riding it alot, wife complained constantly about her boot being so hot she just couldn't stand it at times. She quit complaining when I reinstalled them and I think they without a doubt help my thighs. IMHO.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »

seen some on amazon .... cheep, and you can get them in chrome, gloss black or mat finish. was thinking about changing mine to the gloss black
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »

I remember when we got the 09 SERG, the fellow I had painting them for me was behind and it took him about a month. The bike was brand new and we were riding it alot, wife complained constantly about her boot being so hot she just couldn't stand it at times. She quit complaining when I reinstalled them and I think they without a doubt help my thighs. IMHO.
The wifes comfort is the main goal here. The more comfortable she is the better life is..... now if I could remember that when not on the bike...

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »

Is there ant special prep to paint the plastic on these deflectors?   ???

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »

Ok, you guys talked me into it. I had removed the deflectors on the last two ultras I’ve bought so I
Took some touch up paint I have and painted a piece of paper, knowing this much CVO ruby red paint is impossible to get and a painter would charge ridiculous money, I went searching the auto parts stores and found a color match so close I can’t tell the difference after spraying H-D clear coat on them. The paint has slightly smaller metallic but you have to get 6” from it to notice.
I’m going to wet sand them and polish them out but had to show them.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »

seen some on amazon .... cheep, and you can get them in chrome, gloss black or mat finish. was thinking about changing mine to the gloss black

yep, just ordered a set from amazon.  $22 shipped prime.  should be here monday.  got the gloss black ones.  not gonna paint them right away, will ride them for a bit to see how i feel about them, then let the wife try them on her bike and see how she feels.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »

Ok, you guys talked me into it. I had removed the deflectors on the last two ultras I’ve bought so I
Took some touch up paint I have and painted a piece of paper, knowing this much CVO ruby red paint is impossible to get and a painter would charge ridiculous money, I went searching the auto parts stores and found a color match so close I can’t tell the difference after spraying H-D clear coat on them. The paint has slightly smaller metallic but you have to get 6” from it to notice.
I’m going to wet sand them and polish them out but had to show them.

Look really good. I am going to try them first and see what the thoughts are from the wife before I go through the trouble of painting. Not sure if I couldn't find a rattle can that would get close enough on my yellow.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »

Some of the higher end paint jobbers can now mix you base colors and supply them in a rattle can. I saw some car mirrors that were done this way and they were good. Still have to clearcoat them but then you can sand and buff and they should look fine and much cheaper than a $75 - $100 pint that needs thinner etc.
Be SURE and sand the deflectors appropriately and chemically clean to get the plastic mold release off. I wouldn't paint them without a coat of adhesion promoter but that is just my choice. You can now even buy adhesion promoter in a rattle can.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »

The biggest key to painting to match well, for me, was to buy a rattle can of H-D clear coat. It seems like they have a super high gloss mixture that matches the bikes clear and brings the base color out more.

I prepped them with liberal amount of rubbing alcohol and a quality spray primer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:13:33 PM by King Glide »
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:50 AM »

you guys might not know this but thoses cheap ebay and the like mid frame deflectors will not fit the 17 and up models even though they say they do but fit the 16 and down just fine 

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »

The Harley shields are more of a decoration than a heat deflector. I had mine color matched to Big Blue Pearl and while they looked awesome they did very little to deflect heat while at a stop light or in very slow traffic. I opted to take them off put them on the shelf and purchased heat deflectors from RJS Originals. They have done wonders for the intense heat at traffic lights and slow speeds.

Notice the RH side is different from LH.  They are made of aluminum and covered with the same vinyl that Harley uses on their seats. Can be painted with the right paint I was told.
https://rjsoriginals.com/newSelect0010.htm
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:16:08 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:56 AM »

Some of the higher end paint jobbers can now mix you base colors and supply them in a rattle can. I saw some car mirrors that were done this way and they were good. Still have to clearcoat them but then you can sand and buff and they should look fine and much cheaper than a $75 - $100 pint that needs thinner etc.
Be SURE and sand the deflectors appropriately and chemically clean to get the plastic mold release off. I wouldn't paint them without a coat of adhesion promoter but that is just my choice. You can now even buy adhesion promoter in a rattle can.

I will ask around and see if any of the paint jobbers around this area can do that. Honestly when it comes to paint I probably should leave it to someone else. I am one of those that can put runs in Krylon

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »

I forgot how hard It was to get a wrench under these but, here they are finished. Notice how many shades of color the bike is in the sun, that’s what made finding a color match easy, some place close to the deflectors it’s exactly the same, lol.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

Other side
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »

so i got my mid frame deflectors today.  have not ridden yet, too damned hot....  (what am i gonna do come august  :confused5:)

the good:

oooh, shiny (though they do come in matte and chrome as well)
the price.  $22 all in
quick shipping.  ordered sat.  arrived monday.

the bad:

hardware packet is a joke.  you get 4 bolts and 4 washers.  i don't know about anyone else, but my wife's 2012 and my 2013 do not have threaded receptacles on the frame and getting a nut behind them is an exercise in futility.  finally, after a couple of trips to the hardware store, and scrounging through my old parts, i have something that will work for now.  for the top hole, i got a couple of automotive push pins from lowes.  unfortunately, they aren't as tight as i would like, though they are definitely secure.  i went ahead and bought the 'special nuts' for the topside from the dealer.  i didn't care for the slight vibration that i got from the pushpins.  for the bottom, i had saved the blind nuts and screws from an old harley helmet before i trashed it.  the blind nuts fit perfectly, and bonus, the screws have a little b&s on them.  i would recommend getting the hardware from the dealer.  i'm going to replace the bottom blind nuts with the 'official' ones eventually.  it is easier to get a small wrench in there than a screwdriver  :2vrolijk_21: 

so for now, i think the black looks fine for my bike, and i'll give these a shot and see how i like them.  price was definitely great, if they don't work, then i'm not out that much.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:24:17 PM by skratch »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

other side:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:13:14 PM by skratch »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »

hardware packet:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »

fresh out of the box:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »

Look really good. I am going to try them first and see what the thoughts are from the wife before I go through the trouble of painting. Not sure if I couldn't find a rattle can that would get close enough on my yellow.

I had Gunslinger paint the Deflectors the '09 Charcoal Slate when they were painting the Vented Lowers and Speaker Surrounds, really like how the Slate flows with the scheme of the Bike,,, have the Kury smoked plastic ones on the '05,,, pretty much invisible...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »

Had Joe at xtreme dimensions do this for me.   

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »

what's joe charge for something like that?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »

I had Gunslinger paint the Deflectors the '09 Charcoal Slate when they were painting the Vented Lowers and Speaker Surrounds, really like how the Slate flows with the scheme of the Bike,,, have the Kury smoked plastic ones on the '05,,, pretty much invisible...

Got mine in and installed today and sure glad they are not yellow. I have to agree with you Ed, the Charcoal Slate color will blend so much better.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »

hardware packet:

I'm surprised. Mine came with a couple nut rivets for the lower 2 holes. Made install pretty easy

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2018, 03:27:44 AM »

Joe charged 75.00 each.    Great price.  Great job.   But was slow.   Can't rush him.   Very happy the way they turned out.  Stuart.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2018, 10:48:31 AM »

Got a chance for a ride with the deflectors and first impressions is they didn't have much effect on heat. Only response I got from the wife was about 20 miles down the road she says "My foot is hot". So they are on there but as of now they didn't seem to help the problem

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2018, 11:46:36 AM »

Chains, how do they mount(hardware)? nothing on the website. Thanks.

The Harley shields are more of a decoration than a heat deflector. I had mine color matched to Big Blue Pearl and while they looked awesome they did very little to deflect heat while at a stop light or in very slow traffic. I opted to take them off put them on the shelf and purchased heat deflectors from RJS Originals. They have done wonders for the intense heat at traffic lights and slow speeds.

Notice the RH side is different from LH.  They are made of aluminum and covered with the same vinyl that Harley uses on their seats. Can be painted with the right paint I was told.
https://rjsoriginals.com/newSelect0010.htm

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »

Thanks
David

My 2007 didn't come with them.  The frame and pipe configuration made it very hot for the feet of the BSR, and also very hot for the underside of my thighs.  I added the deflectors and the difference in heat for both of us was both very noticeable and very remarkable. 

When the changes were made as part of the 2014 Rushmore release, what originally drove the need for the deflectors was mostly designed out (pipes were re-configured and re-routed, and the frame was changed), and now with the M8 motors, it is even less necessary.  So if you are adding the deflectors to a pre-2014 model, yes, there is a huge difference.  If you are adding to a post 2014 model, don't expect much of a change.   
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »

Did the same with Joe
I like how the CVO scheme got worked in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2018, 04:51:53 AM »

so i got my mid frame deflectors today.  have not ridden yet, too damned hot....  (what am i gonna do come august  :confused5:)

the good:

oooh, shiny (though they do come in matte and chrome as well)
the price.  $22 all in
quick shipping.  ordered sat.  arrived monday.
I think the 14 and up has the threaded rescticbles     
the bad:

hardware packet is a joke.  you get 4 bolts and 4 washers.  i don't know about anyone else, but my wife's 2012 and my 2013 do not have threaded receptacles on the frame and getting a nut behind them is an exercise in futility.  finally, after a couple of trips to the hardware store, and scrounging through my old parts, i have something that will work for now.  for the top hole, i got a couple of automotive push pins from lowes.  unfortunately, they aren't as tight as i would like, though they are definitely secure.  for the bottom, i had saved the blind nuts and screws from an old harley helmet before i trashed it.  the blind nuts fit perfectly, and bonus, the screws have a little b&s on them   :2vrolijk_21: 

so for now, i think the black looks fine for my bike, and i'll give these a shot and see how i like them.  price was definitely great, if they don't work, then i'm not out that much.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2018, 07:04:32 AM »

since you haven't gotten a response yet, i'll help you out here.  on the top side, they are held under the tank, and by a piece of velcro along the frame.  also the 2 halves have an eyelet on them, you can run a piece of string between them.  on the bottom, they go behind your side cover. 

i actually have a set of the rjs , but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them.

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2018, 07:38:46 AM »

since you haven't gotten a response yet, i'll help you out here.  on the top side, they are held under the tank, and by a piece of velcro along the frame.  also the 2 halves have an eyelet on them, you can run a piece of string between them.  on the bottom, they go behind your side cover. 

i actually have a set of the rjs , but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them

skratch, "but noticed more with the hd deflectors than i did with them".....  More heat? TY

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »

sorry, too early.  i noticed less heat with the hd mid frame air deflectors than i did with the rjs originals.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »

Is that high temp string? :huepfenjump3:

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »

I honk they look cool but they were a Bee to get on my 15 Road Glide
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

There are two elongated holes one on each deflector and a hole for the extra long wire tie that comes with it. You take the rear tank bolts out lift the back of the tank and slide each side in place. Once you have them in the proper position tighten the tank bolts and use the wire tie to secure the rear to the framework. There is no mention of string and or Velcro and none is included.  The intended purpose of them is to deflect heat when at a traffic light and or when going slow through town. I find them to work. The plastic Harley ones are a neat decoration to hide the frame. For me with the Tri Glide I wanted the heat relief.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-and-freewheeler-models/550510-tg-modifications-the-abc-s-of-removing-rider-heat-a-b-c.html

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

There are two elongated holes one on each deflector and a hole for the extra long wire tie that comes with it. You take the rear tank bolts out lift the back of the tank and slide each side in place. Once you have them in the proper position tighten the tank bolts and use the wire tie to secure the rear to the framework. There is no mention of string and or Velcro and none is included.  The intended purpose of them is to deflect heat when at a traffic light and or when going slow through town. I find them to work. The plastic Harley ones are a neat decoration to hide the frame. For me with the Tri Glide I wanted the heat relief.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-glide-and-freewheeler-models/550510-tg-modifications-the-abc-s-of-removing-rider-heat-a-b-c.html

the ones that i bought back in 07 did not mount that way.  yes, they did mount under the tank, but otherwise, everything that you said didn't exist, and everything that i said above did.  fwiw, i didn't use the string to tie the two sides together, never had any problem with them coming loose or anything.

i'm glad they work for you.  they didn't do so much for me.  i get much better results with the decorative plastic harley ones.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2018, 08:57:52 AM »

the ones that i bought back in 07 did not mount that way.  yes, they did mount under the tank, but otherwise, everything that you said didn't exist, and everything that i said above did.  fwiw, i didn't use the string to tie the two sides together, never had any problem with them coming loose or anything.

i'm glad they work for you.  they didn't do so much for me.  i get much better results with the decorative plastic harley ones.

They do a great job of knocking down the temperature just like the article from 2010 I attached confirmed. The article comparing RJS products to Harley's product was a test on a Tri Glide which gets much hotter than a two wheeler .  The right side and the left are mirror image on the HD design. Since each side of the bike is different you do not get good results using the same design on each side of the bike or trike. The RJS Originals design took this into consideration and designed an efficient way of knocking down the heat in stopped or slow speed conditions.  If I still was on two wheels I'm sure I may have stuck with the painted ones because I do like the look and the seamless flow it gives the bike.  Since I'm not I chose function over looks.

By the way I did some checking and in 2007 they did include velcro for attachment in one area but there is no mention of string or tying the two sides together.

If RJS heat shields are mounted behind the side covers it is an improper installation and they will not work as the design intended. The only part that goes behind the cover is the small tab in the RH side.  When installed properly they work well.   RJS invented and patented the heat shields in 1999, Harley never wanted to admit they had a heat problem and took about 9 years before they contracted an Asian firm to mold their shields for them. An important thing to me besides the RJS product working is they are made in American and by a veteran owned company. 

Here is a photo of the RH side showing proper installation
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

whatever works.

2 things, the plastic deflectors are not a mirror image of each other.  and, if my earlier post made it sound like the whole thing went under the side cover, that was not what I meant.  like you mentioned, it's only the 'bulb' at the end of the deflector.  also, the bit about the string tieing the 2 sides together was not a must-do.  the instructions merely mentioned it as an additional safety measure.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »

Don’t mean to upset you I was going by what your post said and trying to make sure everyone knew that RJS Originals is a good company with great product, no strings attached lol. The shape of the Harley covers is the same from side to side the only difference I can find is the LH has a notch to accommodate a self adjusting driver backrest lever. Just lay them side by side and look.

As far as the string goes I just got off the phone with the owner of RJS Originals yes they are open 7 days a week. I ask him about the string reference and had him read me the instructions for an 07. No mention of string just wire ties to secure for possible theft since the 07 only had one tank bolt and they slid under the tank then the Velcro to secure to the frame. Once the seat is on it to holds them in place.

Enjoy your painted covers they do complete the bike and make for an awesome look.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »

nah man, not upset.  just saying that what works for some, may not work for others and whatever one finds that works is a good thing.

no question, rjs originals is a good company, not disputing that at all.

and there really was a reference to string on my instructions, but I don't have them anymore.  but it really isn't a big deal

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2018, 01:00:02 PM »

nah man, not upset.  just saying that what works for some, may not work for others and whatever one finds that works is a good thing.

no question, rjs originals is a good company, not disputing that at all.

I wish I could run the painted ones on the Tri Glide, i paid to have mine color matched but the big fenders on the box just stop the heat right at the passenger.   If the fenders where metal I would louver the part facing forward to let some of the heat escape.  MOCO needs to do a better job on heat dissipation on trikes. Ride safe

I do have the instructions for that model year if you would like to see them
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:25:58 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Leadwolf

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »

I installed the RJS originals and so far so good.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 21 queries.