Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Stupid question  (Read 2610 times)

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Stupid question
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »

I know it’s all subjective and all that but here goes .......

Been looking at changing my 14 SERK for an 18 Road Glide in Black Earth and Vivid Black. Apart from the obvious engine and infotainment upgrade will it give me substantial improvements in handling suspension etc? Never ridden a Road Glide and it’s going to cost me a lot to change so I need some reassurance from those I trust.

There’s not many about in the UK in fact I think that this is the last one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:51:54 PM by Bav »
Using Tapatalk

bobbym

• Full CVO Member
Re: Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »

I went from a 2012 cvo street glide to a 2018 cvo roadglide in the black earth! Absolutely love it the ride is incredible! Best purchase I made very happy with it!  Good luck you won’t be sorry if you pull the trigger!

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »

Have you had the chance to ride a non CVO shark? If not give that a test ride and see what you think, it might help in making up your mind. I can not comment on the 18, but I enjoy my 13 a ton and my wife has a 13 SERK, a large difference between the two as far as I am concerned.

noharley

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »

Not a stupid question at all. I went from an '09 CVO Road Glide to an '11 Street CVO to the current Gunship Shark....more than happy to be back on a fixed fairing....and the 117 is strong enough (so far), even with the conjested head pipe.
12" Yaffees
KW 9" Sport Flare
V&H Header/FP3
Rinehart Motopro 45
Legend Revo A
Legend Axeo Cartridges

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Road King, and an 18 CVO Road glide.  The suspension is better on the 18 comparing stock to stock.  The motor had more torque at s lower RPM  on the 18.

If I could only have one bike it would be a road glide.  This is my 4th CVO Road Glide.  The King and Glide are very different.

I suggest you ride a road glide before you buy the CVO.  Seems people either love the road glide, or hate it.  My wife and I both love the road glide, she has her own road glide, and prefers it over the Street Glide she had an over the King.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:57 AM »

Coming from a long, long....way too long line of bat wing faring bikes, I went with the Road Glide after a ride around Knoxville.  I was impressed with the ride but when I hit the interstate, I noticed that while the wind was still there from the passing 80 plus MPH trucks, I didn't feel it in the handlebars fighting it like I always had on the bats.  It moved the RG around but no fighting....sold me right then and there.  I've had it for just about three years now and after many long trips (Sturgis, Wyoming, Canada), I'm tired at the end of a long riding day but not in the shoulders and arms like I would have been on any of the past batwing-faring bikes.  I'm still very happy with going fixed faring.

A couple of things to consider, however.  The radio is a LONG way away from me compared to the bat wing bikes.  With the handlebar controls, I never use the touch screen so that helps. 
I'm 5'6 so I did install the premium low HD shocks on the rear lowering it 3/4" which helped and I swapped sides on the passenger floorboards which allowed me to easily stand flat footed with the stock hammock seat.  I believe the new '18 comes with the premium, non air shocks which are a bit lower so that may not be an issue.
If you ride two up and come from a bat, your rear passenger may notice a bit more side wind as mine did.  I've just about eliminated it with a Clearview shield, side wind deflectors from Kury. and a new helmet for her.  Since your King has a bat wing faring as shown in your avatar, the wind comparison should be similar as we've experienced.  If you still had just the windshield, your BSR may notice less air on the RG....

Really, those items listed were more of a difference than irritant.

So, it's not a stupid question at all.  Actually, it's a great question in you are actually thinking about it prior to the purchase then just operating by the seat of your pants.

By the way, I like the color choice you have on the '18.  I've seen a couple in person and they look very nice.  If it were me and I was in the market, that color combo and bike would be near the top of my go-to list...I'm still waiting to see the CVO Limited in the red fade color...that one seems to be elusive along with very nice in the pictures.

Good luck in your choosing....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:46:06 AM by Haird »

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »

I had a 14 cvo king loved it then wanted a fairing so bought a dragonfly batwing with speakers dumped a bunch in the motor it was fun and all but traded for a 18 road glide this spring and even tho the motor is stock I love this new ride so much smooth nice wind controle with the freedom shield, the engine is smooth and quiet I love it so far no regrets.

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »

I had a 14 cvo king loved it then wanted a fairing so bought a dragonfly batwing with speakers dumped a bunch in the motor it was fun and all but traded for a 18 road glide this spring and even tho the motor is stock I love this new ride so much smooth nice wind controle with the freedom shield, the engine is smooth and quiet I love it so far no regrets.
Forgot to post a pick for attention lol.

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 05:19:35 PM »

Picture of my old rig

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 02:03:32 AM »

Thanks all for your really helpful replies. This truly is a great forum.

I’m going to try and get a test ride on a Road Glide just to make sure it’s for me before I commit.

Using Tapatalk

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:30:35 AM »

Thanks all for your really helpful replies. This truly is a great forum.

I’m going to try and get a test ride on a Road Glide just to make sure it’s for me before I commit.

I don’t know about the rest but the windshield on the grey cvo is useless factory so if you ride one I would keep that in mind I have a 15” freedom sheild and it’s a world of difference.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »

Had a test ride on a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra yesterday and really liked it. The fixed fairing was just fine and felt more natural than a batwing. The suspension felt a lot more comfortable than my 2014 SERK but I assume the 18 Road Glide will be even better? I'm getting near to pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »

I rode a 14 Street Glide, 15 Road Glide, 16 CVO Street Glide and now an 18 CVO Road Glide and I can 100% say the new front end is amazing. It feels super sturdy and does not wobble. I’d give the old front end a 6/10 and the new front end 10/10.
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »

I rode a 14 Street Glide, 15 Road Glide, 16 CVO Street Glide and now an 18 CVO Road Glide and I can 100% say the new front end is amazing. It feels super sturdy and does not wobble. I’d give the old front end a 6/10 and the new front end 10/10.

Don’t know if it’s the fairing or new suspension but I can’t belive how stable my road glide is I feel like I can almost stop and stay upright it’s crazy I love it so far. Also have ridden a 15 cvo street my old mans and it’s nice but I do find the fairing is more unstable at very high speeds over 100 mph. I crused my road glide at over 110 on the interstate and it’s very comfedence inspiring.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

Coming from a long, long....way too long line of bat wing faring bikes, I went with the Road Glide after a ride around Knoxville.  I was impressed with the ride but when I hit the interstate, I noticed that while the wind was still there from the passing 80 plus MPH trucks, I didn't feel it in the handlebars fighting it like I always had on the bats.  It moved the RG around but no fighting....sold me right then and there.  I've had it for just about three years now and after many long trips (Sturgis, Wyoming, Canada), I'm tired at the end of a long riding day but not in the shoulders and arms like I would have been on any of the past batwing-faring bikes.  I'm still very happy with going fixed faring.

A couple of things to consider, however.  The radio is a LONG way away from me compared to the bat wing bikes.  With the handlebar controls, I never use the touch screen so that helps. 
I'm 5'6 so I did install the premium low HD shocks on the rear lowering it 3/4" which helped and I swapped sides on the passenger floorboards which allowed me to easily stand flat footed with the stock hammock seat.  I believe the new '18 comes with the premium, non air shocks which are a bit lower so that may not be an issue.
If you ride two up and come from a bat, your rear passenger may notice a bit more side wind as mine did.  I've just about eliminated it with a Clearview shield, side wind deflectors from Kury. and a new helmet for her.  Since your King has a bat wing faring as shown in your avatar, the wind comparison should be similar as we've experienced.  If you still had just the windshield, your BSR may notice less air on the RG....

Really, those items listed were more of a difference than irritant.

So, it's not a stupid question at all.  Actually, it's a great question in you are actually thinking about it prior to the purchase then just operating by the seat of your pants.

By the way, I like the color choice you have on the '18.  I've seen a couple in person and they look very nice.  If it were me and I was in the market, that color combo and bike would be near the top of my go-to list...I'm still waiting to see the CVO Limited in the red fade color...that one seems to be elusive along with very nice in the pictures.

Good luck in your choosing....
colboch has one!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.