Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Orange Crush goes under the knife  (Read 3427 times)

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
Orange Crush goes under the knife
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »

My 2014 Road King is going to undergo some minor heart surgery next Friday.

Nothing major just a set of Kuryakyn 24D cams and adjustable pushrods to complement the S&S lifters and rocker lockers that I put in last fall. I will be using the services of the folks at J&B Performance in Mohawk, TN.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Orange Crush goes under the knife
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »

I'll send flowers...
Bill

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »

I hope the recovery time is fast!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »

Had those cams in my 12 street glide.    Loved em.  Stuart  :2vrolijk_21:

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »

Appreciate the flowers and the kind remarks about healing time....

The boys at J&B assure me that Orange Crush will be released that same day so in essence it's just day surgery. That is of course unless something unexpected comes up...never been into the cam chest on this bike but not expecting anything to be amiss as it runs good and is quiet, at least after the pre surgery which included S&S lifters and rocker lockers....

Stuart

Yours was one of the many sheets I looked at prior to selecting this cam. Now I am not expecting anywhere near the output of your 12 since my heads are not coming off the bike. Maybe someday perhaps in its next iteration I will send them to Mr. Sachs but it's not in the cards right now.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ

National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »

The boys at J&B assure me that Orange Crush will be released that same day so in essence it's just day surgery. That is of course unless something unexpected comes up...never been into the cam chest on this bike but not expecting anything to be amiss as it runs good and is quiet, at least after the pre surgery which included S&S lifters and rocker lockers....

Stuart

Yours was one of the many sheets I looked at prior to selecting this cam. Now I am not expecting anywhere near the output of your 12 since my heads are not coming off the bike. Maybe someday perhaps in its next iteration I will send them to Mr. Sachs but it's not in the cards right now.

Shrade:

I assume you are still going “to get gack to me”  after I tried to help you out on the Reinhart baffles you desperately needed.

It would be nice to know either way.......

Jerry

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »

Jerry

I made a half hearted attempt to get the baffles out of my 04 the same day we last Pm'ed , problem is that they been in there since 2005 and they don't want to move, plus I don't have the proper tools where that bike is located. I didn't realize that you were in that big of a hurry, or that I gave you the impression that I was in a real big hurry. Sorry for the mixup and for not getting back to you.

I will try and get mine off to see if the set you have will work.

Zen Master of Pondering

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »

Jerry

I made a half hearted attempt to get the baffles out of my 04 the same day we last Pm'ed , problem is that they been in there since 2005 and they don't want to move, plus I don't have the proper tools where that bike is located. I didn't realize that you were in that big of a hurry, or that I gave you the impression that I was in a real big hurry. Sorry for the mixup and for not getting back to you.

I will try and get mine off to see if the set you have will work.

I’m not in any hurry. 

But usually when the “I’ll get back to you” statement is made it’s fairly soon.

In any event, WD-40 seems to work to loosen baffles and it won’t cause any damage.

Regards

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »

Shrade.     One thing at a time is good. You will love that cam. Maybe someday you can find a way to hook up with THE man in Deltona. Good luck with the surgery.    Stuart.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:35:25 PM by cvostu »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

Shrade.     One thing at a time is good. You will love that cam. Maybe someday you can find a way to hook up with THE man in Deltona. Good luck with the surgery.    Stuart.

Don’t wait too long he’s gonna be 77 soon and is threatening to slow down
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »

He doesn't know he's slowing down.  Maybe his wife does.  :nixweiss: Stuart

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM »

Stuart

Shrader,
Running those cams with Johns heads and couldn't be happier!!
Most great stores start with a bad decision

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »

Here is the before and after Dyno Chart and a run down on the days festivities...

I arrived at the J&B Performance shop right at 7:30 and, after exchanging pleasantries, Brandon put the ol girl on the dyno to see what the baseline runs looked like. The bike has a decatted stock headpipe, with CVO cans with 2" fullsac cores with screens and packing and a Fullsac map. The initial runs showed the ol girl was running pretty well with 95HP and 118 ftlbs. The lines for all three initial runs were quite choppy which surprised me a little cause you really couldn't feel any choppiness while riding the thing. The runs did confirm, to me at least, that the bike felt stronger than several other 110 bikes with just a pipe change and canned tune.

In short order Justin arrived and they tore into her like a pair of buzzsaws. They quickly and professionally removed the exhaust, air cleaner backing plate and stock pushrods, then tore into the cam chest itself. The process was simplified somewhat by the fact that I was going back with adjustable pushrods so it wasnt necessary to remove the top end or even the tank.

I was standing in the garage door trying to get a signal when one of them hollered "you better go buy a lottery ticket". I turned to see them measuring the crank run out and went over to see that it was 0.0015. Yeehaw!!!! I musta got a good un!!! They both said they normally see run out on the 110s at 0.0030 to 0.0060 or worse.....

Well next thing you know they were putting her back together and by 9:30 or so Brandon was adjusting pushrods....

After firing her briefly it was back to the dyno for tuning using Herko blocks and twin scan 3 along with TTS. After a number of sessions of gathering data and making changes to TTS and downloading to the bike it was time for the first pull after the cam change. The numbers looked great except for an area around 3500 RPM which had a dip in both hp and tq, Brandon found that some data from that range didn't transfer into TTS properly the last time and once that was fixed the final two pulls were made. The results showed 109hp and 125 ftlbs with absolutely no loss in torque or hp anywhere.

The initial baseline pulls show the tq crossing 100 at 2200 rpm, crossing 110 at 2750 rpm and maxing at 118 or so at 3450 rpm. The tq now is crossing 100 at 2200 rpm, 110 at 2400 rpm and crossing 120 at 2700 rpm. Falling back below 120 at 4000 rpm, 110 at 5200 rpm and 100 at 5700 rpm. That's a nice improvement that one can certainly feel. In addition the hp increase can certainly be felt above 4500 rpm where the 255 tends to fall on its ass so to speak.

Overall Brandon and Justin did a great job for me and turned this job around in one day just like they said they would. They even provided a little comedic relief in the form of their friend Woody, who stopped by at one point. Woody had a big bandage on his hand and they asked him what had happened.. Without missing a beat Woody explained that he had got "one of them new Playboy books" and he dang near wore his hand out....

I am already thinking about what to do once this latest batch of power becomes tame....since my crank is good maybe a 113 or something...

Brandon and Justin are two good ol boys like me and I felt right at home in their shop. I am trying to convince them they need to come to MV in Sept as they both own CVO bikes with Brandon riding a 2005 Cherry SEEG, the fastest color, and with Justin riding a 2008 CVO Road King in Black Diamond...

That's it for now gotta go ride this thing again.....

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:31:03 AM by SHRADER »

Zen Master of Pondering

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »

Nice results!  Certainly a huge gain from before.  BUT, it looks like it was badly tuned or not tuned at all before the work.  I’m not knocking the gain at all, I’m just pointing out that much of the gain is just from being tuned properly now.
Good cam choice and I know you’ll be very happy with it now.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

This bike was not tuned on the before run. The map in it was the Fullsac map for 2" cores. Good thing is that the chop on the graph never showed up in riding it at all. Throttle control and power delivery felt smooth at all levels all the time.

Zen Master of Pondering

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »

SHRADER, Glad to hear you like the upgrade and hope she serves you well.  :2vrolijk_21:

I also like to hear the real world service you received from them fellas at J&B Performance. I'll have to stop by when I'm in the area.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »

SHRADER, Glad to hear you like the upgrade and hope she serves you well.  :2vrolijk_21:

I also like to hear the real world service you received from them fellas at J&B Performance. I'll have to stop by when I'm in the area.

TN
The guys at J&B are top notch, they have done all my work on my bike and this winter I'll probably go to a 117 or a 120" engine. These guys are also my friends and honest as the day is long, I'd trust them with any thing I have. I don't think you'll find any shop that will work harder for there customer than they will. Glad Shrader likes his bike and he should judging by the dyno sheet.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.