Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 110 breakdown  (Read 3298 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
110 breakdown
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:06:52 PM »

A friend of mine is broke down in Canada, 1100 miles from home. I know this is vague, but is the 110 notorious for a certain type of breakdown. A gentleman he talked to said that it might be a camshaft problem. Theirs an HD shop near him but they don't do work on Saturday.
                                              Thanks Jonnierock

cdav0628

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

Re: 110 breakdown
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »

Lifters go out. Mine did with 23,000 miles on my 2015 RGU CVO. Destroyed the entire engine. Thankfully HD sent a new longblock a few months out of warranty and I’m very grateful.

UK1

• CVO1: 2012 Skunk (blew up)
    • CVO2: 2018 Gray
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »

Mine broke last Saturday. Tech said something in the cam area. Check out the piston lands. Long block under warranty also. 41,800 miles. No previous issues, no engine mods. Ran like a top before last week when I started hearing a squealing sound.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »

Mine broke last Saturday. Tech said something in the cam area. Check out the piston lands. Long block under warranty also. 41,800 miles. No previous issues, no engine mods. Ran like a top before last week when I started hearing a squealing sound.

When the lifter rollers stop rolling, a squealing sound is usually the immediate result, soon followed by other broken parts.  Way more common failure than some might think on the 110 engines. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »

A friend of mine is broke down in Canada, 1100 miles from home. I know this is vague, but is the 110 notorious for a certain type of breakdown. A gentleman he talked to said that it might be a camshaft problem. Theirs an HD shop near him but they don't do work on Saturday.
                                              Thanks Jonnierock

Where abouts is he? I can't offer much help in the way of repair, but could point in the right direction for local repair, as well as keep company and shuttle around is nec. I'm located just outside of Vancouver BC if that is any help.

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

Where abouts is he? I can't offer much help in the way of repair, but could point in the right direction for local repair, as well as keep company and shuttle around is nec. I'm located just outside of Vancouver BC if that is any help.

Paul

You on the sunshine coast Paul?

I'm an old Powell Riveright of the 60's myself.

Sorry about your friend  JONNIEROCK  hope it not too bad
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:00:23 PM by longlast »

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »

You on the sunshine coast Paul?

I'm an old Powell Riveright of the 60's myself.

No unfortunately not on Coast, so beautiful there, can't wait to ride that Sechelt/Gibsons ride. I'm out in the valley in Abbotsturd.

Cheers  :drink:

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »

I can help, in Edgewood, WA.

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 12:36:27 AM »

Heading home tomorrow. Broke down south of Medicine hat. Thanks.

Paul

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:28 AM »

No unfortunately not on Coast, so beautiful there, can't wait to ride that Sechelt/Gibsons ride. I'm out in the valley in Abbotsturd.

Cheers  :drink:

Paul

To bad Lee at Jarz is closed on Monday, you can try yje HD Dealer in Chilwack just east of you, don't know it they are open on Sunday/Monday or the dealers Vancouver.

Good luck,

geezerglide

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 03:30:06 PM »

Sounds Like a complete motor failure according to the shop. My buddy seems to think from talking to some that the 110 usually takes a crap at about 25k miles. Do any of you have a high mileage 110. I thought I read somewhere on here about 110 and longevity.
               Thanks for your help.
                              Jonnierock 

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »

He's got it home now. Rented a uhaul. The shop where he bought it will probably tear into it this week. I'll keep you up dated as to the problem.
                            Thanks for help. Jonnierock

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 02:08:59 AM »

Well a couple of lifters went south, tore up the whole motor. Needs a complete rebuild.
               Jonnierock

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »

Hey Jonnierock -    It does not look like you have mentioned any details about your friends bike?    What Year Make and Model?   Is it Bone Stock?  If Not,  what kind of Mods, right down to Cat Converter, Tune, mechanicals, etc?   Is your friend the original Owner?    What was the maintenance history for the bike?    If you mentioned it somewhere then I missed it!   I think that these kinds of details are important to try to understand these kinds of failures.   Thanks!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 09:37:39 AM »

Hey Jonnierock -    It does not look like you have mentioned any details about your friends bike?    What Year Make and Model?   Is it Bone Stock?  If Not,  what kind of Mods, right down to Cat Converter, Tune, mechanicals, etc?   Is your friend the original Owner?    What was the maintenance history for the bike?    If you mentioned it somewhere then I missed it!   I think that these kinds of details are important to try to understand these kinds of failures.   Thanks!
If you read the horror stories about the 110 motors and catastrophic lifter failure you'll find that these things don't really matter.  I had two failures each on two different bikes both with the 110 motor.  First bike had only stage 1 and tuned, second bike was bone stock.  Problem is the valve train hammers the lifters and leads to the failures.

It would be nice to have confidence that if you'd not built your motor and meticulously maintained it you could avoid such failures.  Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.