Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 110 breakdown  (Read 3297 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Re: 110 breakdown
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »

2012 CVO Road Glide. bought new. 38K miles. No Cat. HD Race tuner. Kerker Mufflers. Regular Harley 20-50 petroleum oil, changed every 2000 miles or less

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

If you read the horror stories about the 110 motors and catastrophic lifter failure you'll find that these things don't really matter.  I had two failures each on two different bikes both with the 110 motor.  First bike had only stage 1 and tuned, second bike was bone stock.  Problem is the valve train hammers the lifters and leads to the failures.

It would be nice to have confidence that if you'd not built your motor and meticulously maintained it you could avoid such failures.  Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.
I have read the horror stories and I agree with what you are saying.   Just trying to wrap my head around it and I still think it is nice to get a feel for the actual vehicle specifics when you read these threads.    In this case looks like it failed at 38k and was basically stock.   

Roller Lifters and Radical cam profiles have been around for a long time.   Cars have been running them for many years.    Based on that, You might think that lubrication would be the culprit, however 88, 96 and 103s are all basically the same animal and I have run those engines 60+k with no failures.  This is the first 110 I have owned and so far I love it.  The valvetrain in it is actually quieter than my previous two bikes.

I am curious what were the details on the other 110 you had fail?  I assume one is the 2012 but the others in your sig are M8s?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »

I have read the horror stories and I agree with what you are saying.   Just trying to wrap my head around it and I still think it is nice to get a feel for the actual vehicle specifics when you read these threads.    In this case looks like it failed at 38k and was basically stock.   

Roller Lifters and Radical cam profiles have been around for a long time.   Cars have been running them for many years.    Based on that, You might think that lubrication would be the culprit, however 88, 96 and 103s are all basically the same animal and I have run those engines 60+k with no failures.  This is the first 110 I have owned and so far I love it.  The valvetrain in it is actually quieter than my previous two bikes.

I am curious what were the details on the other 110 you had fail?  I assume one is the 2012 but the others in your sig are M8s?
2007 CVO Ultra (first year with the 110 motor) - at about 22k a valve guide dropped down from the head and hit the piston.  Not lifter failure and the valve guide problems were addressed (finally).  H-D sent complete new motor which lasted about 40k and then there was catastrophic lifter failure which grenaded the motor.  ESP sprang for a complete new motor.  Bike was Stage one with SE Hi-Flow A/C, D&D FatCats and SERT tuned.

2012 CVO Ultra with about 24k had catastrophic lifter failure.  H-D sent a complete new motor.  Again about the 40-45k mark on that new motor I heard a squeal from the lifter (it wasn't rolling).  Stopped immediately but too late because some metal particles had circulated through the motor.  ESP did a total rebuild from the crank on up.  This bike was bone stock - no mods of any kind to the power train.

I traded the 2012 while the dealership was rebuilding the motor for a 2017 CVO Limited and now that for a 2018 Tri-Glide.

I know some folks have made it a lot further with their 110s but I was not so fortunate. 

Good luck with yours and I do agree the 110 is an awesome and strong performer.  Just wish it weren't so prone to pre-mature self destruction as many can attest to.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:54:20 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.