Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydraulic reservoirs leaking  (Read 2187 times)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Hydraulic reservoirs leaking
« on: August 30, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »

2014 Limited, both the Clutch and Front Brake hydraulic reservoirs on the handle bars are leaking. Anyone else have this going on?

Rick
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hydraulic reservoirs leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »

Where is the leak, at the cover gasket or somewhere else?  Cover gasket leaks were fairly common, check the cover and reservoir sealing surfaces and don't over-tighten the cover screws.  I think they call for something like 10 inch-pounds of torque, which is almost nothing.

If they are leaking at the piston pushrod, that's also been reported by a few people but I'd be amazed if both your master cylinders started leaking at the piston seals.  Stranger things have happened however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »

Where is the leak, at the cover gasket or somewhere else?  Cover gasket leaks were fairly common, check the cover and reservoir sealing surfaces and don't over-tighten the cover screws.  I think they call for something like 10 inch-pounds of torque, which is almost nothing.
Jerry

as I changend my covers for both cylinders I did easily over-tighten the cover screws  :-[  The gaskets are a kind of silicon seal that push very easily flat and leaks

GK
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 05:18:08 AM »

At the covers. Never been off since the initial recall and have not been touched since. Pretty strange that these "both" just all of a sudden started leaking.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

14 Model and no one has checked, or changed the fluids in 4 years? Maybe a good time for some maintenance. But I do agree odd they both started leaking at same time.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:51:51 PM »

Moisture builds up. Recently flushed my clutch MC and it was over full so sucked out the fluid and cleaned black film out of MC. Seemed much smoother after. And mine hadn't been done in a few years.

UK1

• CVO1: 2012 Skunk (blew up)
    • CVO2: 2018 Gray
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »

2014 Limited, both the Clutch and Front Brake hydraulic reservoirs on the handle bars are leaking. Anyone else have this going on?

Rick
Too much brake fluid. Remove some, so it shows between the lines and you shouldn't have issue.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »

As the brake pads wear the fluid level in the reservoir goes down (the fluid is in the increased space in the calipers created when the pistons move further out to compensate for the pad wear).  The exact opposite occurs when the clutch plates wear, and the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir increases.  So while the clutch master cylinder may have a slightly high fluid level, the brake master cylinder would not.  Don't run the brake fluid level low to supposedly keep the cover from leaking, just fix the cover leak instead.  If the clutch fluid level is at the max level, then remove a small amount. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »

If you don't change out the fluid on clutch and brakes for several years one day you may have a totally limp clutch lever or brake same while riding. Clutch has done that to me twice. I will now service both at least every other year.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »

At the covers. Never been off since the initial recall and have not been touched since. Pretty strange that these "both" just all of a sudden started leaking.

Did you get it figured out why they started to leak?   Is it fixed?

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »

Did you get it figured out why they started to leak?   Is it fixed?

No. haven't had time to get into it yet. Maybe later today.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

No. haven't had time to get into it yet. Maybe later today.

When you do get to it let us know what you found.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »

these rubber gasgets are  junk they all leak in time they always have and will all three of mine did on my 14 CVO LED last year if you guys with 14's feel your you just might find that yours are seaping too

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 09:57:33 PM »

these rubber gasgets are  junk they all leak in time they always have and will all three of mine did on my 14 CVO LED last year if you guys with 14's feel your you just might find that yours are seaping too

It wasn't that big of an issue on the older bikes, and only became a big issue when they changed and cheapened the M/C designs for the clutch and brakes.  It's the same story on many of the parts that are no longer as reliable as they used to be, purposely cheapened and often resourced to cut production costs.

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 07:30:34 PM »

It wasn't that big of an issue on the older bikes, and only became a big issue when they changed and cheapened the M/C designs for the clutch and brakes.  It's the same story on many of the parts that are no longer as reliable as they used to be, purposely cheapened and often resourced to cut production costs.

Jerry

And increase purchase cost    :confused5:

Page created in 1.184 seconds with 21 queries.