Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting Bike After Long Term Storage  (Read 1581 times)

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Starting Bike After Long Term Storage
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

If you wanted to be OCD about starting a bike after being parked for about a year, how would you go about it?

Bike is a 2004 SEEG with 103" stock, except for gear drive Redshift 575 cams and upgraded lifters and associated parts.

Put up with non-eth premium treated gas and battery on Optimate float charger. Its been up on a lift in a dry garage.

I am wishing that I could get oil pressure some how before starting the motor.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Starting Bike After Long Term Storage
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »

You could pull both spark plugs spray a little WD-40 into the cylinders then unplug the ignition coil, and the injectors make sure the oil level is full. And you should be able to crank it over couple of times 20 seconds each should do the trick
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »

Since on a lift. Remove spark plugs.  Put in 5th or 6th gear if it has 6th and rotate rear tire forward for a few minutes.  Or pull fuel pump fuse and crank over with starter  without removing plugs. 

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »

I pull the spark plugs and a few short bursts of the starter button
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:00:32 PM »

Did you spray fogging oil into the cylinders when you put it up?  If so, you shouldn't need to squirt more oil into the cylinders before turning the engine over.  If not, I'd suggest you squirt some light motor oil into each cylinder, perhaps a teaspoon or two, leave the plugs out and let it sit while you rig up a simple jumper wire that will let you crank the engine over without having to disable the fuel pump or ignition system.  You will be using the jumper to bridge from the positive battery cable lead at the starter motor to the spade connector for the starter solenoid.  This will turn the engine over without activating the electrical system (leave the ignition switch OFF).  Just crank for a couple seconds initially to make sure everything is freed up, then crank a few times for about ten to fifteen seconds with a short interval between attempts to prevent overheating of the starter, to let the oil pump distribute some oil.  Reinstall the plugs and start the bike normally.  If the gas was fresh and treated with Sta-Bil or a similar product, you should be good to go.  If you have stale gas I'd recommend siphoning out as much as possible and putting in a gallon or two of fresh fuel from a gas can before starting the bike.  Probably not necessary after a one year storage period, but you did mention OCD.

Jerry

Btw, I have a jumper I made from an old automotive remote starter switch, so I connect the wire to the starter positive post with a battery charger style clamp, then attach the other end of the wire I equipped with a spade connector to fit the one for the solenoid.  When I want to crank the engine, I just press and hold the button on the switch.  If you don't have something similar, I'd suggest you at least rig up your jumper with a clamp to fit the positive post on the starter so you don't have to hold the jumper in place at both ends.  You definitely do not want to accidentally short the jumper to ground, the positive cable to the starter is NOT on a fused circuit, it is direct from the battery positive post.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:08:05 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »

I'll assume oil is full and clean.  I'd just put it in 6th gear while on the lift and rotate the wheel to ensure cylinders move freely.  After a year should be fine, but if not then remove plugs and spray in some penetrating oil.  Check to be sure battery is good (load test) then fire it up.  You'll build oil pressure plenty fast.

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »

Is it any worse sitting for a year vs sitting for a few weeks or a month?  I would not think so, nor would I want WD40 or anything else in my cylinders.  I'd just start it!

wfolarry

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »

Is it any worse sitting for a year vs sitting for a few weeks or a month?  I would not think so, nor would I want WD40 or anything else in my cylinders.  I'd just start it!

I agree. Hit the start button.
I just did this with my daughters car. Sitting for over a year. Hooked up some jumper cables & hit the switch. Started like it was running yesterday.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

Me too but no cure for OCD as he stated in first post.    :cherry:

MCE

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »

I would just fire it up. If it starts, it will build oil pressure very quickly.

After you warm it up, (optional) change the oil/filter and ride it. I've left
mine sit for close to a year, fired up no problem.

Or, if you want to over think it, do all the stuff mentioned above. Won't
hurt anything, but unnecessary IMO.

Cheers,
-Matt

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »

CRC engine store is a product that is excellent at protecting cylinders. Have seen signs of rusted cylinders from sitting unprotected.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »

We also have seen cylinders with rust / pits etched into them, better to have some oil on the dry rings and walls, scoring / scratching from dry rings won't go away by them self.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »

Just a simple step, CRC in the air stream before putting the bike up for storage.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.