Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson Has a Big Problem and It's Not Trump. It's That Its Motorcycles  (Read 8123 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

This mentality might help explain some things:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/harley-davidson-has-a-big-problem-and-its-not-trump-its-that-its-motorcycles-dont-fall-apart-fast-enough/ar-BBNPx3w?li=BBnbfcL

Hard to wear them out the way most people ride. They hardly use them at all. If you ride them, they will break down on you more often then you would like. Anyone who reads the message threads on this site can attest to that.

There was a recent article in the WSJ that talked about the "Glut of Used Harleys" on the market being a drag on new sales as well.

DH

J.D.

That's it.  WSJ says they're too reliable and owners say they're too unreliable.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

From that WSJ article:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-glut-of-used-hogs-is-a-drag-on-harley-davidson-1538391600

A Glut of Used Hogs Is a Drag on Harley Davidson

Harley-Davidson Inc. HOG 0.67%▲ is facing a particularly tough competitor for new riders: its own used motorcycles.
Three used Harleys are sold in the U.S. for every new one. A decade ago, it was the other way around. New motorcycle sales in the U.S. are down by half from a 2006 peak, while used sales are up 13%.

Milwaukee-based Harley in 2018 is heading for its fourth straight year of declining sales as the company’s core older customers scale back purchases while younger riders fail to pick up the slack. A glut of used Harley-Davidsons has emerged after years of strong sales growth and production volumes, and offers a variety of choices for those unwilling to splurge on pricey new models.

“It comes down to price, always,” said Jim McMahan, co-owner of a Harley dealership in Greensburg, Pa. “There are people who just don’t want to spend $18,000 to $25,000 on a new motorcycle.” Used Harleys in good condition can cost less than $15,000, dealers say.
Harley wants to reverse its sales slump by drawing new riders with 16 middleweight bikes it plans to roll out by 2022. Among them will be the company’s first electric model, debuting next year.
Harley hasn’t released prices for the new bikes, but dealers expect many of the models will be cheaper than the big bikes that make up the core of the current lineup. Offering more motorcycle choices at lower prices could lure younger riders to the Harley brand for the first time and help offset slumping sales of traditional models.

Heather Malenshek, Harley’s vice president of marketing, said used Hogs aren’t the company’s biggest problem. “The greatest challenge is to bring younger people into the sport,” she said. “Our used motorcycle base is a great way to get them in.”
But some Harley fans—including one Harley salesman—say the price of a new Harley deterred them from buying one. John Call, 31 years old, has sold Harleys at a dealership outside of Cleveland since 2016. In buying his first Hog last year, he chose a used 2009 Dyna Fat Bob for just under $10,000.

“A new Harley isn’t really practical for me,” he said. “I’ve got a growing family.”
Harley-Davidson motorcycles tend to have long lives. They don’t wear out easily or go out of style quickly and owners tend to take care of them, making the bikes appealing in the used-motorcycle market.

Harley has struggled to lessen its reliance on baby boomers, whose growing discretionary income and passion for hobbies including motorcycle riding brought the company back from the brink of bankruptcy in the early 1980s. Now, those riders are aging and buying motorcycles less frequently. But younger riders often can’t afford as many bikes as their parents or don’t see themselves living the Harley free-spirit lifestyle.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

Cont.~

In response, the company is pursuing younger people who don’t fit the profile of a typical Harley fan: male and clad in a black T-shirt and leather vest. On Monday, Harley said it would start selling its popular branded apparel through Amazon.com Inc. Currently, Harley apparel is sold through the company’s website or at dealerships.

Two of Harley’s new models will be dual-purpose bikes for riding on both paved and unpaved roads, a motorcycle category that is growing in popularity in the U.S. Nine will be sports bikes with racing-style body features and seating to reduce wind drag. Harley doesn’t currently compete in either of these categories.

Some dealers said they doubt customers for those kinds of bikes will one day trade up for a new, expensive Hog. Ms. Malenshek acknowledged some might not, but said Harley also needs to accommodate riders who aren’t interested in its traditional models.
“The point of all of this is bringing new customers into the brand that weren’t there before,” she said. “They don’t all want to be in the lifestyle. You can have Harley on your terms.”

The new models are also designed to attract riders overseas, where Harley wants to generate half its sales a decade from now, up from about 39% currently. Harley in June said it would shift production of motorcycles bound for Europe out of the U.S., after the European Union imposed what would have amounted to a roughly $2,200 tariff on each Hog imported from the U.S.

President Trump and unions representing Harley workers said Harley was using the trade fight to justify existing plans to move production overseas. Harley said that assertion was false.

Many foreign markets are dominated by Harley’s competitors. Japan’s Kawasaki Heavy Industries , Suzuki Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. make popular utilitarian bikes, while Germany’s BMW AG and Italy’s Ducati, owned by Volkswagen AG , make higher-priced models.
Harley faces those same competitors in the U.S., too, along with a resurgent U.S-based competitor in Indian Motorcycles, owned by Polaris Industries Inc.

Harley still accounts for about half of sales of U.S. motorcycles built for riding on highways. That share has held steady in recent years even as its own sales stalled because the market for new motorcycles overall has shrunk since the 2008-2009 recession.
And some riders of used Harleys do eventually buy a new one. Sarah Pellatiro of New Kensington, Pa., bought a new Harley Sportster this year for just under $12,000 after riding a used version for three years. Ms. Pellatiro said she chose the middleweight bike over a larger, more expensive model because she was confident she could handle it in traffic after gaining experience with a used Sportster.
“I got that bike right when I was still learning how to ride,” said the 32-year-old photographer and silversmith. “I don’t think I’ll ever ride any brand other than Harley from here on.”

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia

I corrected the headline:
Harley-Davidson Has a Big Problem and It's Not Trump. It's That Its Motorcycles Don't Fall Apart Fast Enough Are't Reliable Enough

You can see the company spin in the original headline.  Or maybe, they are intentionally making them fall apart.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

If you ride much they fall apart a lot. Just got of the phone with Harley customer service asking why they can't build a speedometer that does not leak and why they will only replace it once. And they replace it with the same junk. No real answer but did give me a case number and wants the dealer to call when I go in this Thursday. I'll keep you posted
Bill

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

If you ride much they fall apart a lot. Just got of the phone with Harley customer service asking why they can't build a speedometer that does not leak and why they will only replace it once. And they replace it with the same junk. No real answer but did give me a case number and wants the dealer to call when I go in this Thursday. I'll keep you posted

Even an accurate speedometer would be appreciated.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

Another way to say it is - Harley customers fix their bikes to get them running right, when they don't always come that way from the factory. Understandably after all that time, effort, & money many used Harley owners are reluctant to sell.

J.D.

Very true.

Biga1680

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Harley’s problem there bikes are to reliable
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 12:58:59 PM »

Article is kinda funny, wouldn’t be what I would say is there problem.https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/harley-davidson-apos-big-problem-100937888.html

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Harley’s problem there bikes are to reliable
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »

There's sumpin' wrong with that article. Just sayin,....
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

These articles are interesting, just the other day had a conversation with a buddy about used bikes becoming a problem for Harley in the future.  With most new sales involving a (trade or sell) a used bike is created.  Some sales are brand new riders but not so on bigger & upper end bikes.  Then factor in price, quality, aging out riders (many of who have multiple bikes) and competition....the future should be interesting!  Oh and I bet the Dealers are going to LOVE Harley selling on Amazon!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:31:56 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

I’d hate to be a highly leveraged Harley dealer nowadays. The bloom is definitely off the rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 08:09:52 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J.D.

Clean, low mileage used bikes have value and a decent market, no different than used cars.  It's a bit of a catch 22.  If they don't hold their value to a certain extent a lot of buyers wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

Was in the local dealership this morning.  Some 2017s & lots of 2018 bikes on the floor.  Dismal looking, was talking to a friend I have ridden with for years about their floor inventory. We both agreed the target market for these bikes was not us.  No CVOs on the floor, must have been sold.  The new Heritage is just.....weird. 

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

We are a dying breed, literally. They have to find new riders, aka "the younger crowd". The problem is the younger crowd is not as interested in motorcycles like we are, so they have to give them appealing options like "Live Wire", and the new look. Then there is the problem of cost. Most folks in their 20s and 30 aren't willing to drop that kind of money into a Harley. And if they want a bike bad enough, the market is flooded with used bikes, foreign and domestic.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

J.D.

Young people don't think Harleys are a good value, meaning cost: performance is poor vs. competition.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

Young people don't think Harleys are a good value, meaning cost: performance is poor vs. competition.
Not just younger riders; I'm 67, have been riding Harleys since 1989, 12 new HD's.

Now I own a 18 BMW K1600B or Bagger. Following a test ride I couldn't go back. Finally a bike with great performance ( 160hp  ) great handling, comfort and features right off the showroom floor.

Not saying the BMW is perfect, it's not. Just a great bike that's a blast to ride. The price was inline with a HD Roadglide.

My simple point is that Harley has competition like never before. Some of us are becoming less brand loyal, especially those of us that have experienced the shift at the dealer level. No longer about relationships, love of motorcycles, respect. It's all about one thing...money. selling a perceived life style.

I still like Harleys, just see them in a different light. If I ever buy another one it will be used.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Apples and Oranges. I had a BMW 1600 GTL. Great bike, but not the same.

mark

Apples and Oranges. I had a BMW 1600 GTL. Great bike, but not the same.

Great bike, but not the same.  Yes I agree, no sumping engine on the BMW, LOL.

Wunderkind

• Junior CVO Member
  • The older the bull the harder the horn!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 5 Riptide blue/Titanium dust
    • CVO2: FLSTFAE 2005 (First CVO engine - 95 ! cui) denim black/24K Tank Cloisonne
    • CVO3: FLHR 1996, vivid Black, only 10K mls when bought in 2021!

Here my opinion from BMW Country.... about HD and motorcycling at all

Over here: Mostly no speed limit on the Autobahn, ridin´ totally different from the US or Canada.

I had my fast Bikes in the ´80s. Speeding was great! 4.5h to Paris for a cup of coffee!! About 400 mls.

We didn´t even pay for the Autobahn in France. Just running through those gates & TollStations. The Roads were empty cause for most people to expensive.

Thinking changed (see my introduction) with my first Harley. Wrenching & Ridin´from that day. Slow, some kinda hard & uncomfortable. Not the fastest anymore, not the most up to date gadgets on my bikes

BUT my kinda style in ridin´and livin´!

And Gentlemen... today as all the years before.... the BMW´s and all the other bikes overtake me!!!

Yeaah! But there are two things that still make me smile..... on the long run, I see them sooner or later at the gas station beside the Autobahn. They need whatever ´cept fuel. Taking Selfies, checking social media, eating, peexxx and finally fueling up. After 50 miles they overtake me the next time....

And when we stop anywhere together..... they did not look at me or wave. I get in for a coffee or the restrooms.....

Then....they get away from there brandnew BMW´s.... gettin´closer to that slow bike...... and look at it.... aaah Harley...

Harley is special! And if I learned somethimg in my life...... The most expensive, the most beautiful, the fastest or the most perfect - is mostly not the best choice. Even not over here in BMW Country!!! Where you can ride as fast as you like with your perfect machine.

mike

V8 or V2 - nothing else!

don´t trailer - ride!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

Over here: Mostly no speed limit on the Autobahn, ridin´ totally different from the US or Canada.

I had my fast Bikes in the ´80s. Speeding was great! 4.5h to Paris for a cup of coffee!! About 400 mls.

We didn´t even pay for the Autobahn in France. Just running through those gates & TollStations. The Roads were empty cause for most people to expensive.

Thinking changed (see my introduction) with my first Harley. Wrenching & Ridin´from that day. Slow, some kinda hard & uncomfortable. Not the fastest anymore, not the most up to date gadgets on my bikes

BUT my kinda style in ridin´and livin´!

And Gentlemen... today as all the years before.... the BMW´s and all the other bikes overtake me!!!

Yeaah! But there are two things that still make me smile..... on the long run, I see them sooner or later at the gas station beside the Autobahn. They need whatever ´cept fuel. Taking Selfies, checking social media, eating, peexxx and finally fueling up. After 50 miles they overtake me the next time....

And when we stop anywhere together..... they did not look at me or wave. I get in for a coffee or the restrooms.....

Then....they get away from there brandnew BMW´s.... gettin´closer to that slow bike...... and look at it.... aaah Harley...

Harley is special! And if I learned somethimg in my life...... The most expensive, the most beautiful, the fastest or the most perfect - is mostly not the best choice. Even not over here in BMW Country!!! Where you can ride as fast as you like with your perfect machine.

mike

Very well said!   :2vrolijk_21:

US has speed limits, but when I was a young man I tended to ignore them whenever the mood hit me.   Getting there the quickest was more important.  Now it is just as important or more so to get where I am going how I want to get there, and that is not necessarily the fastest bike.  HD has a style unlike any other, for me it took some age before I appreciated that style.  Sounds like you appreciate that style as well.  Enjoy your ride!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

.... aaah Harley...

mike

That's my take as well Mike. Well said!  :drink:

Rob

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Great bike, but not the same.  Yes I agree, no sumping engine on the BMW, LOL.

LOL....I hear ya...however, the guy I sold my BMW to ended up having to replace stuck valves on it after he'd had it for about a year or so. Took them 9 weeks just to get the parts...so there's that...  :drink:

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red

I did not buy a Harley believing they are  the fastest bike. I did not buy a Harley believing they are the most reliable trouble free bike. I did not buy a Harley believing they are the least expensive bike to own or maintain.

I bought a Harley because I believe they are the coolest bikes on the road. I love the unmistakeable sound of the engine. I accept the fact that they are not the most reliable. I find pleasure in working on things. I love the fact that when someone sees you pull up on one, they knw what it is, and they are appreciated for what they are, a Harley.

Most of the reasons I love Harleys are the very same rwasons I love 60's Camaros, Challengers,  Mustangs and other classic.

Maybe like beer and fine wine, they are an acquired taste.

If I wanted a bike to ride back and forth to work and never work on it or worry about its reliability, I would buy a Honda.

I am willing to continue down the road of life sitting on a Harley

Chevys and Ford and Dodges aint what the used to be either, but I do love my Hemi pickup, but it still fun to cruise in the 1970 Challenger.

Does Harley today understand this lifelong love? No. They have gone the way of corporate America. Indian Motorcycle as well. They aint what Indians used to either.

We all have our preferences. Thats why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

One of these days I will get around to restoring my dads 1958 FL. Right now it sits in my garage, just like it was when he finally wore it out. It will crank and run and blow oil out of the tailpipes and smoke like crazy, but it IS a Harley and I have memories of riding on it with him all those years ago. So right now, it is exactly the way I want it.

Sorry for the melancholy moment. But it was either write this, or have a bowl of chocolate ice cream...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:19:34 PM by Threephase »
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

I love the fact that are not the most reliable.

,.....so when your bike breaks down on Beartooth Pass on a Saturday afternoon over a holiday weekend,....you love that?? I sure as Hell didn't. Fricken' Stator #2 out of an eventual 4. I for one am tired of HDs breaking down on the road.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

,.....so when your bike breaks down on Beartooth Pass on a Saturday afternoon over a holiday weekend,....you love that?? I sure as Hell didn't. Fricken' Stator #2 out of an eventual 4. I for one am tired of HDs breaking down on the road.

There's always BMW...

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

There's always BMW...

And Honda. I like that new GoldWing!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

When I posted that I switched to the K1600B from BMW it was not because I no longer like Harleys. I've owned 12 new ones since 1989, I certainly like them.

Didn't buy the BMW bagger because I wanted to ride triple digits either. Simply wanted a new bike that was comfortable, handled, performed and road up to my expectations without spending thousands after riding home. I also like the looks and features of this new BMW model.

Being able to pass when desired without a concern. Believe it or not it's nice having Reverse at this stage of life. Comfort and handing, features like tire pressure monitoring, state of the art linked ABS brakes, traction control, adjustable suspension depending on 1 or 2 up, XM included with radio with 1 year trial, on and on. Again, it's not just about speed.

I'd still love to own a Harley but I would buy a used bike with a carburetor. As mechanical as possible. That's what Harley does best in my opinion.

Biggest change over the years, no longer married to one brand. Everyone should buy what they really like, what they enjoy. I'll wave to anyone riding anything.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Scottt....That's a sweet looking ride!! Congrats!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

Scottt....That's a sweet looking ride!! Congrats!
As good as the K1600B looks, riding one is more impressive.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red

It is a good looking bike. I can only imagine how it rides. It even LOOKS fast.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

LOL....I hear ya...however, the guy I sold my BMW to ended up having to replace stuck valves on it after he'd had it for about a year or so. Took them 9 weeks just to get the parts...so there's that...  :drink:

;D  Rob our local BMW dealer closed a few years ago.  Owners usually go to Jacksonville - a 2 1/2 hour ride - to find out the parts they need will be delivered in a month or 2. 

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

;D  Rob our local BMW dealer closed a few years ago.  Owners usually go to Jacksonville - a 2 1/2 hour ride - to find out the parts they need will be delivered in a month or 2.
I'm fortunate, my BMW dealership is only 8 miles from my home. A really nice motorcycle dealership with a focus on riding and the customer.

I've learned a lot about the differences between HD and BMW. Like them both for different reasons. Both have pros and cons.

The BMW cons do include slower access to some parts. It simply takes more time for parts to ship from Germany. That said, a good percentage of needed parts are here in the states. Another con is the price of new OEM parts. Much higher than HD.

The pros include durability, performance, handling, ride and comfort off the showroom floor. A longer warranty ( 3 years ) and low cost extended service contracts compared to HD.

Comes down to what's most important to you. Harley has the most dealerships, open 7 days a week. The best motorcycle social group, HOG. Harley offers more choices, personalization, more bling and I would say style. It also has a great sound.

BMW is focused on one thing, the riding experience. Performance, handling, brakes and comfort. A bike you can enjoy for 10 hours a day on the road. The dealerships are also focused on activities but not to the degree of HD.

In a perfect world I would own Both, maybe a Triumph too.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

I'm fortunate, my BMW dealership is only 8 miles from my home. A really nice motorcycle dealership with a focus on riding and the customer.

I've learned a lot about the differences between HD and BMW. Like them both for different reasons. Both have pros and cons.

The BMW cons do include slower access to some parts. It simply takes more time for parts to ship from Germany. That said, a good percentage of needed parts are here in the states. Another con is the price of new OEM parts. Much higher than HD.

The pros include durability, performance, handling, ride and comfort off the showroom floor. A longer warranty ( 3 years ) and low cost extended service contracts compared to HD.

Comes down to what's most important to you. Harley has the most dealerships, open 7 days a week. The best motorcycle social group, HOG. Harley offers more choices, personalization, more bling and I would say style. It also has a great sound.

BMW is focused on one thing, the riding experience. Performance, handling, brakes and comfort. A bike you can enjoy for 10 hours a day on the road. The dealerships are also focused on activities but not to the degree of HD.

In a perfect world I would own Both, maybe a Triumph too.

Several riding buddies have BMWs, they love them long time.  Some have Indians - same deal.  Triumph makes a good motorcycle as well.  Each has it's own appeal.  We had a BMW dealer here, when they closed was a little surprised nobody else wanted the brand locally to sell.  Have ridden BMWs, nice bikes just not for me.  Have ridden my Harleys plenty of times 10-12 hours plus in a day, back to back repeat days.  Not a problem for me, I prefer the sitting position of HD vs BMW.

Anyway, I have no dayglo or space suit looking riding clothes so would not fit in the Beemer world.  One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

Which brings up the question, which category do you fall into?

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man

Can't relate to those because of the metric system.  Me?  I am like a ray of sunshine bouncing around the world, spreading joy and happiness on everyone I bounce upon.

J.D.

When it comes to vehicles, my preferences generally fall into two buckets, with little middle ground.

1.  Cheap, low tech, unreliable, but fun.  Think '60s muscle car or carbureted Harley.

2.  Modern, high tech, reliable, but somewhat boring.  Think modern SUV or Goldwing.

The new Harleys fall in between for me.  Relatively expensive but unreliable.

I can buy a brand new car from most any brand for the price of a new CVO and expect to go 100k miles without stepping into a repair shop.

I can buy a nice used Harley for $10k that will likely be more reliable than a new one.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

Power Ranger
Village People
Euro-Cordura Man
Actually I wear what I like, not worried about playing a role or impressing anyone. Often wear some of my favorite HD wear on the BMW bagger. It's mine so who cares.

I can attest to BMW riding gear. It's the highest quality best made functional gear I have tried. Especially the riding boots. Not cheap but great.

The only motorcycle gear that cracks me up is those that want to look like a 1 percent club member when they clearly are not. I have respect for real patch holders.

Wearing SOA stuff is one example. Just so fake. In the end, wear what you like and don't worry about anything else. Riding is about riding.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK

My wife and I have ridden over 160,000 miles with only one break down on the road and it was a battery and the temps were in the high 90's. HD was there in 20 minutes and they were about to close. They had the bike ready at 9 Am next Am.  We have had many of the usual problems with a new engine on my o7 serk and trans. Woodstock Hd  has never had my bike for more than a week to make the repairs and always offer a loaner.   Best thing my wife an I have done is buy 2 HD in 05 never look back.
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member

Several riding buddies have BMWs, they love them long time.  Some have Indians - same deal.  Triumph makes a good motorcycle as well.  Each has it's own appeal.  We had a BMW dealer here, when they closed was a little surprised nobody else wanted the brand locally to sell.  Have ridden BMWs, nice bikes just not for me.  Have ridden my Harleys plenty of times 10-12 hours plus in a day, back to back repeat days.  Not a problem for me, I prefer the sitting position of HD vs BMW.

Anyway, I have no dayglo or space suit looking riding clothes so would not fit in the Beemer world.  One thing my BMW buddies all have in common, you may not hear them long distance but you sure as heck can see them from a mile away.   ;D

This for me as well. Also, on the 1600 GTL we had I could have the windshield all the way up and my wife sat so high on the backseat she got the sh!t beat out of her by the wind.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

My wife and I have ridden over 160,000 miles with only one break down on the road and it was a battery and the temps were in the high 90's. HD was there in 20 minutes and they were about to close. They had the bike ready at 9 Am next Am.  We have had many of the usual problems with a new engine on my o7 serk and trans. Woodstock Hd  has never had my bike for more than a week to make the repairs and always offer a loaner.   Best thing my wife an I have done is buy 2 HD in 05 never look back.

I wish I could make that claim. My '01 was a nightmare. Went through a stator almost every year. My '06 has been better, only break down was last year when the shifter shaft splines stripped on the way back from Yellowstone leaving the lever flopping around. But I knew what to do, as that happened to my '01 twice. Now my '95 Ultra was the best. Only things that ever stranded me were a cracked header pipe coming back from Sturgis (the local Midas in Wyoming welded it), and a leaky rear brake line due to improper caliper reinstall by the dealer when I got new tires.

My BMW, Kawasakis and Honda never let me down.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

This for me as well. Also, on the 1600 GTL we had I could have the windshield all the way up and my wife sat so high on the backseat she got the sh!t beat out of her by the wind.

I thought BMW took steps to improve passenger comfort.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member

I thought BMW took steps to improve passenger comfort.
The new K1600 BGA or Grand American addresses those concerns.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam

I wish I could say that.  09 CVO Road glide, failed lifters at 46K miles.  12 CVO Road Glide, failed regulator at 7000 miles, failed compensator at 16000 miles, failed clutch master cylinder at 31000 miles.  15 CVO Road Glide Ultra, failed lifters at 44K miles, HD had to replace engine under warranty. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail

I had my stator go out on me going over Beartooth pass in 2001. I was riding my 89 FLT & had it fixed to ride without headlights. Rode it to Cody, Wyoming & had it replaced. This was my 2nd one. Also blew a head gasket 100 miles out of Sturgis on the same trip.  Only time this bike has ever been on a trailer. We did rebuild it in the campground. Still love to ride this old Harley!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 09:06:29 AM by danner55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

I had my stator go out on me going over Beartooth pass in 2001. I was riding my 89 FLT & had it fixed to ride without headlights. Rode it to Cody, Wyoming & had it replaced. This was my 2nd one. Also blew a head gasket 100 miles out of Sturgis on the same trip.  Only time this bike has ever been on a trailer. We did rebuild it in the campground. Still love to ride this old Harley!

I think I hold a record for burned out stators in national parks. My old '01 Ultra lost stators in Zion, Beartooth, Petrified Forest, and Malibu. Except for Malibu, it always happened on the road, over a weekend when the dealer is closed. HD has got to do better than that.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

I think I hold a record for burned out stators in national parks. My old '01 Ultra lost stators in Zion, Beartooth, Petrified Forest, and Malibu. Except for Malibu, it always happened on the road, over a weekend when the dealer is closed. HD has got to do better than that.
Maybe you just need to stay out of national parks. 😜

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

Maybe you just need to stay out of national parks. 😜

James and I have discussed that strategy. However, since buying WrongWays '06 I've been very lucky with national parks. Care to join us for the Grand Canyon next year? You can ride your Honda,....

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold

I never cared much for image when I'm on any bike. The only stitch of HD attire I still own is the leather I practically stole on sale years ago. It's the same one I wore on my old Ducati and the new Honda I currently ride. I do get some weird looks depending on where you go, but doesn't bother me ... I still waive at every biker no matter what it is.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 21 queries.