Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Waving  (Read 3821 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Waving
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »

This may or may not have been posted before here, but I've not seen it before.  That's not saying much though...

So here's a rip off from another Honda Scooter website.

Ripped off, more or less, from HD V-Twin Forums:
 The identity of the original Author is lost to me, or I'd give him/her credit. Updated and edited by Wheelman.

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community; a family, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Waving shows that we embrace this brother- and sisterhood that is riding. Waving is our way of acknowledging our commonalities while displaying our individuality. So I happily wave to everybody.

Except Honda guys. I hate Honda guys. Especially Gold Wing riders. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their giant fairings and super-quiet pipes. And those stupid helmets with those idiotic boom microphones they use to talk with their passenger, who's invariably clad in the same outfit as the * rider - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their overpriced 180 degree Boxer engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa.

Oh, and Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll wheelie by me and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going.

Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

When I'm on my Harley I'll wave at other Harley guys, but I have to be careful not to accidentally wave at someone who's riding a bike that only looks like a Harley. So if I'm unsure, I don't wave. This means that sometimes I accidentally don't wave to a Harley guy, but that's way better than waving to a guy on Rice Cruiser that just looks like a Harley.

When I'm on my scooter, I wave at other scooters. But ONLY Honda scooters. But not underpowered 4-strokes like Ruckuses. (Ruckii?) What is that, anyway? Looks like some designer had his blueprints pulled into production before he was done. Bright-colored exposed tube frame and all that open air under the saddle. Oh and Metros. Get a Cannondale if you wanna go that slow, pal. I never wave at them. Or Vespa's. Art Deco meets Buckminster Fuller pulling a cloud of blue smoke. I don't wave at them either. Nor do I wave at anything Chinese. They leave too many parts falling off, creating a road hazard.

And I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and, by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet, like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

So to me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Harleys (or Honda Scooters,) wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Waving
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »

I'm sure the original poster meant it as a tongue in cheek critique of some bikers who are very picky about who they wave too but like many things some truth to what was said. I have always said over my years of riding that we should NOT be so picky and wave or assist any motorcycle rider regardless of what they ride. After all, would we pass another person's quick glance of what a "true biker" is supposed to be like?
We all should come together and support each other in order for motorcycling to continue to exist for ourselves and future generations.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Sarcasm at it's best boys and girls. Thanks for sharing.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

I'd also exclude people in shirts with buttons.  Have to wear a tshirt of a sweatshirt that pulls on.  None of this button up chit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »

I'd also exclude people in shirts with buttons.  Have to wear a tshirt of a sweatshirt that pulls on.  None of this button up chit.

Uh, you forgot the most important one.  Only people on red bikes deserve to be acknowledged, all others are just posers and wannabes.

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »

I'd wave at a chick on her bike with her shirt unbuttoned....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:29:58 PM »

I'd wave at a chick on her bike with her shirt unbuttoned....

I'd just stare so long I'd ride in to a tree.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »

Uh, you forgot the most important one.  Only people on red bikes deserve to be acknowledged, all others are just posers and wannabes.

Jerry ;D

Well, d'uh; yeah!

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:15:29 AM »

As I read that, the voice in my head sounded just like Andy Rooney from 60 minutes.......Made me smile even more
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »

Man, I have or have had most of the stuff in that rant!  I'm confused....do I wave or not!?!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »

And don't confuse normal waving with the 1 finger waving that should be saved for the most special ones.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 05:29:40 AM »

Man, I have or have had most of the stuff in that rant!  I'm confused....do I wave or not!?!

Yes.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

I was photographing a motocross race recently and got to talking with another photog and he said something to the effect, "I don't understand why Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders". My reply was "Do you really think I know what your riding when we come at each other at 50-70 mph? That's 100-140 mph closing and all I see is a headlight", I wave at everyone and will stop and check on you no matter your ride.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »

I was photographing a motocross race recently and got to talking with another photog and he said something to the effect, "I don't understand why Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders". My reply was "Do you really think I know what your riding when we come at each other at 50-70 mph? That's 100-140 mph closing and all I see is a headlight", I wave at everyone and will stop and check on you no matter your ride.

Amen, Me also too ! :vrolijk17:   :vrolijk_26:

Mike

:drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Wakonda

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »

I think you need to remember that some riders are not as experienced and are not able to take one hand off the handlebars and maintain control. Their not waving is actually safer for all of us and may not mean indifference as much as inexperience. The ones that seem the most self absorbed to me are the bicycle riders. I figure those contraptions must take a lot of tending to keep between the lines.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.