Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finally got her - couple of issues (wobble)  (Read 1667 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
finally got her - couple of issues (wobble)
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:17 PM »

Hi all,

Well, I picked up my 2019 RG CVO in red pepper yesterday.  Bought it from my NJ dealer and had it shipped down to Daytona (I live in Florida now).  I rented a car to get there and rode her back home 300 miles.  I have only done a few mods as I am trying to keep things reasonable.  Mods so far are: Fullsac header w 2.25's (I like the titanium heat shields) and TTS download, changed the shield to Freedom Shield, I think 9", changed out the amps/speakers and went to Pete at Soundz who is also in Daytona and did his usual great job.  I also stopped by Corbin for a new seat (butt and back were killing me, but didn't pull that one yet).
Before I get to the issue, I wanted to comment on the bike itself. 

The paint is very nice.  Got a lot of compliments on the red pepper and the "1" on the tank.  I agree with others that it is a departure for HD, but I like it alot.  Has a sporty look to it for sure.  The paint quality seems good as opposed to other years where there were quality issues (my 15) and a softness to the paint.  The stock speakers are certainly loud, but they lack a depth to the sound, missing mids and the bass is not tight and gets lost.  I was thinking about just staying stock but I decided that I should make the  swap while I was in Daytona. 
The ride is pretty smooth but I did get some "dirty air" around the upper chest.  I miss the lowers.  I really think that they did a great job at suppressing or moving the air away.  The "fangs" do kick the air out a little, but just a little.  I wish there was a way to add lowers.  If at all possible you would definitely have to modify or fabricate the lowers.  Of course you would have to change the fairing bracket and engine guard as well as others have noted.

I also broke the engine in the best I could.  For first 100 miles, I took it easy in and around Daytona.  No WOT, kept to 3k on the tach and no harsh stops.  Then, well....I took off on the way home.  I had her up to about 90ish.  Then the issue started.  It started out as feeling a little unstable.  Nothing terrible, like a windy day (was not windy) where you get pushed around a bit.  It felt fine up until around 70-75, then above 80-90 just not stable.  I checked the TPMS and it said 43 in front and 48 out back (92 degrees outside).  I was going in a straight line, btw.  Then what I felt at higher speed started happening at 70.  Then it got worse, the unstable feeling led to a wobble at back of bike. It only lasted a few seconds but as anyone who has felt it, it was too long.  Of course I slowed down and went the remaining way home at 60-65.  It got better but still felt unstable.  Once home and after several hours of the bike at rest the TPMS shows 39 and 42.  I know that HD recommends pressure at 36 and 40.  Can a difference of 3 psi be the cause?  Anyone have any ideas?  Really appreciate your insight. 

Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: finally got her - couple of issues (wobble)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »

Try having the neck tightened a bit.   Hadn’t heard or seen this in a while maybe yours just wasn’t lucky enough to get the proper attention.  They can do this adjustment pretty quickly.

If that isn’t it might check pressures manually

If not they want to check wheels and bearings as a cause or alignment.   Typically a little extra turn on the next resolves it.

Hope it’s easy for ya.   Btw 300 miles from Daytona ?   Where does that put ya south Miami?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

aland

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »

Congrats on an awesome bike.

That was my thought also re steering head tightening.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »

Try having the neck tightened a bit.   Hadn’t heard or seen this in a while maybe yours just wasn’t lucky enough to get the proper attention.  They can do this adjustment pretty quickly.

If that isn’t it might check pressures manually

If not they want to check wheels and bearings as a cause or alignment.   Typically a little extra turn on the next resolves it.

Hope it’s easy for ya.   Btw 300 miles from Daytona ?   Where does that put ya south Miami?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I really dont want to bring it in to the dealer but have little choice.  I rounded up on the miles, probably a little too much.  Live near Bonita Springs.  Trip odometer had some miles on it from riding around town prior to leaving for home. 

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »

I had a bit of a moment on my Road Glide in August with about 700 miles on the clock. I was riding up the motorway to Scotland at about 65 / 70 mph when the bike suddenly felt that it had a flat tire or the front wheel was loose. I pulled over and stopped to check everything was ok and couldn’t find anything wrong. It was very windy and I also think the motorway was a bit rutted due to heavy truck use. It’s my first RG so I thought I’d shut the fairing vents and carry on. It was ok for the rest of the journey so I opened up the vents again. I have now done nearly 4000 miles with no more problems so I don’t know what the cause was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »

You may have gotten into a situation where speed, ruts, wind caused  the tdog to wag its tail or the reverse where the tail started to wag the front.

I’d still look at fall away, tire pressure, alignment, neck bearing tightness.

Try going down the road at 20-30 mph and take both hands off the bars see if u get a wobble but be ready to grab at any second if it wobbles I start at the neck bearing.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »

just as an update I brought her in to the local HD.  They took it for a test ride and checked it out.  They really could not replicate.  They did tell me that the shocks were set to 0 and they changed that to 20.  I am not sure if that is a potential answer to the wobble issue but thats where I am.  I will ride and see if it happens again.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »

That’s a good point. My shocks are set up for me but I could have overloaded it with luggage without winding up the shocks. Don’t suppose that helped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.