Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to get behind the speedometer glass to clean water marks?  (Read 8905 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How to get behind the speedometer glass to clean water marks?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:04 AM »

Well Don, Reading that a few times, I had to chuckle. Dakota gauges are another manufacturer's product. lol

Agreed that the Dakota gauges look good. It's the repeated failure with the OE gauges that is the problem. It is those that would keep me from spending more money on the same bike as opposed to stashing that change for the next ride.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 03:34:13 AM »

I really like the look of digital and I'd love to do the blue ones for mine. However, I'm tired of turning my vehicles into money pits so $1000.00+ is out of the ? for me. Guess I'm fortunate mine isn't showing any signs of leaking/streaking ... yet. Mine doesn't see much water, even from a hose too often and when it does I carefully use a fine mist. A few downpours I did get caught in they still look like day one so I must be lucky.

If/when mine start to streak, I have no doubt I'll be pulling some back-alley homemade fix even if I break it trying .... just my nature. Whether it's a tedious effort with a screwdriver or my dremel, some polish to clean the lens and rtv or glue or both to button it back up .... that's my plan. If that fails there's always the "Oh ****" as it sails across the garage because I have to buy a new one.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »

I really like the look of digital and I'd love to do the blue ones for mine. However, I'm tired of turning my vehicles into money pits so $1000.00+ is out of the ? for me. Guess I'm fortunate mine isn't showing any signs of leaking/streaking ... yet. Mine doesn't see much water, even from a hose too often and when it does I carefully use a fine mist. A few downpours I did get caught in they still look like day one so I must be lucky.

If/when mine start to streak, I have no doubt I'll be pulling some back-alley homemade fix even if I break it trying .... just my nature. Whether it's a tedious effort with a screwdriver or my dremel, some polish to clean the lens and rtv or glue or both to button it back up .... that's my plan. If that fails there's always the "Oh ****" as it sails across the garage because I have to buy a new one.

My usual method as well (for many things), especially after someone tells me it can't be done. ;D  I haven't seen one of the new clusters out of the bike, but if they just used a few plastic spot welds instead of a continuous bond all around, it shouldn't be that hard to grind down the welds just enough to break the lens free.  The trick will be reattaching the lens, but with the many choices of adhesives we have these days I'm sure one could be found to do the job.  And like you said, if you break it you buy a new one, which you would have had to do anyway if you hadn't tried to fix it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.