Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .... dumbsh*t question regarding baffles  (Read 1808 times)

groupw

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: Silver/Silver '16 SERGU
.... dumbsh*t question regarding baffles
« on: November 26, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »

I've read many times of folks who've changed the baffles in their pipes to achieve a certain result.
I like the look of the CVO cans, but i'm considering doing the 117 kit on my '16SERG and am wondering :
a)  should i retain the CVO pipes ? ...do i need to change'm out ?
b)  if so, what benefits can be obtained by changing the baffles ?
c)  what's involved in getting the existing baffle out & new ones installed ?
d)  i'm not into LOUD, so how will that figure into the 'new baffle' equation ?
e)  where do you obtain new baffles only ?  are they sold separately ?

Like i mentioned in the headline, these are dumbs hit questions i realize, but i'd rather embarrass myself in front of ya'll & get a head start on assembling info, than to wander in the wilderness & wind up even more confused.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
.... dumbsh*t question regarding baffles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »

I've read many times of folks who've changed the baffles in their pipes to achieve a certain result.
I like the look of the CVO cans, but i'm considering doing the 117 kit on my '16SERG and am wondering :
a)  should i retain the CVO pipes ? ...do i need to change'm out ?  Could keep muffler cans and replace baffles, but would get a better head pipe (stepped)
b)  if so, what benefits can be obtained by changing the baffles ?  Bigger baffle lets motor breathe
c)  what's involved in getting the existing baffle out & new ones installed ?  A little time a dremel or small cutting wheel
d)  i'm not into LOUD, so how will that figure into the 'new baffle' equation ?
Bigger motor and bigger baffle will make it marginally louder.
e)  where do you obtain new baffles only ?  are they sold separately ?  Try Fullsac on this site

Like i mentioned in the headline, these are dumbs hit questions i realize, but i'd rather embarrass myself in front of ya'll & get a head start on assembling info, than to wander in the wilderness & wind up even more confused.

What results are you looking for?  Why the 117 ?

The best performance will be found in a 2-1 although your quieter side will leave a little on the table.  Hence a headpipe like the VH power dual with Fullsac baffles in your stock muffler body    Guessing 2.25 or 2.5 baffles.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: .... dumbsh*t question regarding baffles
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »

FULLSAC.COM ,  he is a vender on the site also, and offers member discount... he has what your looking for  :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »

+1 for Fullsac.  It’s what you’re looking for!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »

What results are you looking for?  Why the 117 ?

The best performance will be found in a 2-1 although your quieter side will leave a little on the table.  Hence a headpipe like the VH power dual with Fullsac baffles in your stock muffler body    Guessing 2.25 or 2.5 baffles.

Fullsac no longer offers a 2.5 baffle.  His offerings are 1.75, 2 and 2.25.

Fullsac makes a good headpipe for the M8 and you can use factory heat shields. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »

Fullsac no longer offers a 2.5 baffle.  His offerings are 1.75, 2 and 2.25.

Fullsac makes a good headpipe for the M8 and you can use factory heat shields.

Hey Dave, he has a '16 so TC not M8.  However, you are correct in Fullsac making a good headpipe for the M8 and TC.

groupw, if you don't want to spend the money for pre-fabricated items from Fullsac, V&H, Bassani, etc., you can go less expensive in decatting your stock head pipe and removing the plugs on your stock SE mufflers.  If you are good at cutting/welding, the catalyst removal would be just your labor.  If not, you can find the headers decatted for about $150 (give or take $25) from either your dealer or a good muffler shop with your stock header as a trade.  Removing the plug from your stock muffler is just as easy even with the extension the MoCo put on them in 2014.  Here's the link to my thread from a few years ago with lots of information on how.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74847.msg1027930#msg1027930

I'm not trying to talk you into either option.  If I had not gone the do-it-yourself route, Steve with Fullsac would have my money and his product on my '12 and on my '15.  I like to tinker and fiddle with things and, for me and some others here on the site, removing the plug and catalyst was the way to go.  I like the stock look so doing it myself was a good option.  Steve also has designed a great header so you can utilize the stock heat shields but it's a bit more money out of pocket.

On my '12, I went with the SERT on the decatted header and deplugged mufflers and a dyno tune.  I did the same on my '15 with the exception I went with the V&H FP3 tuner and tuned it myself.  I did remove the 3" pipe extension (two tack welds were no match for the Dremil) soon after I got the bike home and long before the exhaust mods mainly because the extension was rusting and causing a mess.  As for the results, I was very happy with the power on both bikes.  If I were to do it again on another TC, I'd go with the FP3.  I'm not saying there won't be another HD in my future but it won't be new and I'm not sure it will be an M8....better the devil you know...

If I had gone the Fullsac route, I would have taken Steve's advice and used the TTS tuner since there are maps specific to his header/muffler set-up.

Review all the threads on the site cause there are MANY opinions on this subject.  Some hate this, some love that, some would rather eat a dog turd than have XYZ item on their bike....it goes on and on....so good luck on reviewing it all, evaluating the good/bad/ugly of the choices and making your own.

Keep us posted
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:17:48 AM by Haird »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »

Hey Dave, he has a '16 so TC not M8.  However, you are correct in Fullsac making a good headpipe for the M8 and TC.

groupw, if you don't want to spend the money for pre-fabricated items from Fullsac, V&H, Bassani, etc., you can go less expensive in decatting your stock head pipe and removing the plugs on your stock SE mufflers.  If you are good at cutting/welding, the catalyst removal would be just your labor.  If not, you can find the headers decatted for about $150 (give or take $25) from either your dealer or a good muffler shop with your stock header as a trade.  Removing the plug from your stock muffler is just as easy even with the extension the MoCo put on them in 2014.  Here's the link to my thread from a few years ago with lots of information on how.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74847.msg1027930#msg1027930

I'm not trying to talk you into either option.  If I had not gone the do-it-yourself route, Steve with Fullsac would have my money and his product on my '12 and on my '15.  I like to tinker and fiddle with things and, for me and some others here on the site, removing the plug and catalyst was the way to go.  I like the stock look so doing it myself was a good option.  Steve also has designed a great header so you can utilize the stock heat shields but it's a bit more money out of pocket.

On my '12, I went with the SERT on the decatted header and deplugged mufflers and a dyno tune.  I did the same on my '15 with the exception I went with the V&H FP3 tuner and tuned it myself.  I did remove the 3" pipe extension (two tack welds were no match for the Dremil) soon after I got the bike home and long before the exhaust mods mainly because the extension was rusting and causing a mess.  As for the results, I was very happy with the power on both bikes.  If I were to do it again on another TC, I'd go with the FP3.  I'm not saying there won't be another HD in my future but it won't be new and I'm not sure it will be an M8....better the devil you know...

If I had gone the Fullsac route, I would have taken Steve's advice and used the TTS tuner since there are maps specific to his header/muffler set-up.

Review all the threads on the site cause there are MANY opinions on this subject.  Some hate this, some love that, some would rather eat a dog turd than have XYZ item on their bike....it goes on and on....so good luck on reviewing it all, evaluating the good/bad/ugly of the choices and making your own.

Keep us posted

If it were mine, I'd steer away from the decat'd headpipe there have been instances of cross talk of the sensors.   It's just not worth it on top of that he is going bigger and a stepped header would be overall a better solution for the extra cubic inches and motor breathing.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »

If it were mine, I'd steer away from the decat'd headpipe there have been instances of cross talk of the sensors.   It's just not worth it on top of that he is going bigger and a stepped header would be overall a better solution for the extra cubic inches and motor breathing.

Well stated and I do not disagree with that....I was just attempting to assist him with perusing the overall forest and not focusing on one, specific tree.... ;D

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.