Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turn Signal Module?  (Read 822 times)

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Turn Signal Module?
« on: December 26, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra on a ride a couple of weeks ago the left turn signal failed to cancel, the switch would not cancel it either, the only way to cancel was to activate the right right turn signal.  Since then the left switch will not activate the left turn signal. I can activate the and cancel the flashers using the switches (and all lights work) so I believe that tells me the switch is working. The left turn signal will randomly start flashing when starting the bike, but will not cancel via the bank angle sensor or turn signal switch. Since the bank angle sensor will not cancel and the switch seems to function properly to activate and cancel the flashers, I'm leaning toward turn signal module. Any suggestions?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Turn Signal Module?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »

If you have or can get the Electrical Diagnostics manual for your bike I think there will be a troubleshooting procedure to lead you through the various possibilities. Has it thrown any DTCs?  If so I’d start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »

No DTC's present, the electrical diag is the one of the manuals I don't have, I have the reg shop manual and the CVO supplement but not the diag or parts manual.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »

A new TSSM will run about $280 @ MSRP, and like all electrical parts no one will take it back if you install it and find your problem is not the module.  So it would be well worth it to get a manual, or at least a copy of the relevant pages from someone who has the E&D manual, and do the diagnostic steps to rule out the other items.  The odds are quite high that your problem is with the module, based on your description, but it's still a good idea to eliminate the other basic items like switches and wiring first.  That's just the old school me talking; I was never one of those people who just change parts until I accidentally fix the problem.  I guess that means I wouldn't be qualified to work in the typical Harley dealership.  What a disappointment for me. ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »

I agree about the parts changer thing. I was a tech in a Ford dealership for 20+ years before moving to the management side of the business. I did try to apply some basic logic, the switch works to activate and deactivate the flashers, so the switch must work, all the lights flash so the bulbs are good, when the left does flash it will not cancel via turn bank angle sensor (part of the TSSM module) so I kind of used a process of elimination / common denominator. Thanks for your reply.

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 12:05:17 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra on a ride a couple of weeks ago the left turn signal failed to cancel, the switch would not cancel it either, the only way to cancel was to activate the right right turn signal.  Since then the left switch will not activate the left turn signal. I can activate the and cancel the flashers using the switches (and all lights work) so I believe that tells me the switch is working. The left turn signal will randomly start flashing when starting the bike, but will not cancel via the bank angle sensor or turn signal switch. Since the bank angle sensor will not cancel and the switch seems to function properly to activate and cancel the flashers, I'm leaning toward turn signal module. Any suggestions?

I'm a little confused by this. The switch doesn't work but it does, so it must be the TSSM? Does the right signal cancel automatically?

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 02:28:01 PM »

The switch will work to activate the "Parade Flashers", when pressed simultaneous with the right switch and pressing both switches cancels the parade flashers. The switch will not work to activate the left turn signal by itself.

Bhentz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 02:43:27 PM »

Yes, right turn signal does cancel automatically.

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 04:03:53 AM »

Ok, I understand now. Interesting that it will cancel the right but not the left.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.