Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Key Fob Barrel Key  (Read 928 times)

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
Key Fob Barrel Key
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »

A little nuisance problem.  The barrel key from time to time opens out while in pants pocket.  Have been thinking of something to keep this from happening and wondering if anyone finds this annoying and how to prevent it?  Thought of some sort of "guard" to put over the button what could be moved out of the way when necessary.  The simple method would be to just keep it in either the tourpak or one of the saddle bags also but do not like this as then the button by the fork lock would be operational all the time.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: Key Fob Barrel Key
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »

You are not alone in your OCDness. lol...I put a leather tether on it for easy retrieval and keep mine in my coin/5th pocket in my jeans and it seems to avoid the issue most of the time. A very simple fix and cost nothing.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »

Might try that coin pocket location and see how that works.  Another low cost option is to put this on a key ring that can hook to a belt loop. 

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 12:38:29 AM »

I put it on a D ring belt clip and let it hang in my left pocket, very seldom does it ever pop open. Also if you leave it in the tour pack or saddle bag not only the lock and unlock button would work all the time your bike would start for anyone to ride offing no alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 02:32:38 AM »

A little nuisance problem.  The barrel key from time to time opens out while in pants pocket.  Have been thinking of something to keep this from happening and wondering if anyone finds this annoying and how to prevent it?  Thought of some sort of "guard" to put over the button what could be moved out of the way when necessary.  The simple method would be to just keep it in either the tourpak or one of the saddle bags also but do not like this as then the button by the fork lock would be operational all the time.

It is annoying. Stuff like this shows HD doesn't seriously consumer test some of the most basic features before they introduce them.  May try the 5th pocket option.  A better more common sense fix would have been to recess the key opener button to keep the key closed instead of popping open half the time when not needed.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.