Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sena 20 EVO wind noise  (Read 4320 times)

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
Sena 20 EVO wind noise
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:43:44 AM »

I have 2018 CVO Streetglide and the wife and I use the Sena 20 Evo wireless intercom to communicate.  My wife uses a half helmet and we continually get wind noise over 40 MPH.   We have tried all the settings to reduce this but even at the lowest VOX setting it still happens...anyone find a fix for this??
2018 CVO StreetGlide

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Sena 20 EVO wind noise
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:19:12 AM »

I can't offer any direct help, but there have been other posts about this.  Here's one:  https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=116476.0

Hope you get it worked out.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »

I have 2018 CVO Streetglide and the wife and I use the Sena 20 Evo wireless intercom to communicate.  My wife uses a half helmet and we continually get wind noise over 40 MPH.   We have tried all the settings to reduce this but even at the lowest VOX setting it still happens...anyone find a fix for this??
I also have the sena 20 EVO headsets using them with half helmets with wind noise. Download the sena app and connect your headset via bluetooth and turn off most all features. I was using the CB with friends riding with the bike intercom off and had wind noise, turned off the side tone, the HD and some other stuff and the wind noise was no longer a problem. I also have moved the Vox setting in the app from the factory setting from 6 to 3 as the lower you go the harder to break the vox. Take off your wind sock on your boom mike and you will find there is a hole in the front, don’t ask me why but it allows wind to break the vox so cover with tape or one guy used hot melt glue to seal up and replace the wind sock. My back seat rider has not ridden in the cold as we live in Ohio so not sure if this works with the intercom on but sure worked with the CB. We will find out more when the weather gets better and the snow and salt is gone. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any luck. As for now I loved the wired set up I had with my 2016 Ultra CVO now with the 19 Ultra the wireless headsets is what you get on the CVO.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »

I also have the sena 20 EVO headsets using them with half helmets with wind noise. Download the sena app and connect your headset via bluetooth and turn off most all features. I was using the CB with friends riding with the bike intercom off and had wind noise, turned off the side tone, the HD and some other stuff and the wind noise was no longer a problem. I also have moved the Vox setting in the app from the factory setting from 6 to 3 as the lower you go the harder to break the vox. Take off your wind sock on your boom mike and you will find there is a hole in the front, don’t ask me why but it allows wind to break the vox so cover with tape or one guy used hot melt glue to seal up and replace the wind sock. My back seat rider has not ridden in the cold as we live in Ohio so not sure if this works with the intercom on but sure worked with the CB. We will find out more when the weather gets better and the snow and salt is gone. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any luck. As for now I loved the wired set up I had with my 2016 Ultra CVO now with the 19 Ultra the wireless headsets is what you get on the CVO.

Thank you for that bit of information. I just bought a set of the 30k's and am totally ignorant about how to make it work, but leaning. I am going to pull the wind socks on them and see if that hole exists on them too.

In laymen terms I am understanding that the VOX settings control how loud a noise has to be to cause the mic to function?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »

Thank you for that bit of information. I just bought a set of the 30k's and am totally ignorant about how to make it work, but leaning. I am going to pull the wind socks on them and see if that hole exists on them too.

In laymen terms I am understanding that the VOX settings control how loud a noise has to be to cause the mic to function?
Correct, the VOX setting does control how much noise it takes to open the mike, there is a setting on the bike which I found to work very well when I had the wired headsets. Not so much with  the wireless as they have there own setting. You can close the VOX on the bike and use the PTT ( push to talk) button on the handle bar if you have that button on the bike. On my Ultra CVO I have the CB so I do have that button for myself and my BSR which will only open the mike when the button is pressed, kind of a pain in the butt but will only have wind noise when your are talking to your BSR. Just don’t use the CB when using that feature as you will be having a conversation with everyone riding with you with their CB on LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »

Correct, the VOX setting does control how much noise it takes to open the mike, there is a setting on the bike which I found to work very well when I had the wired headsets. Not so much with  the wireless as they have there own setting. You can close the VOX on the bike and use the PTT ( push to talk) button on the handle bar if you have that button on the bike. On my Ultra CVO I have the CB so I do have that button for myself and my BSR which will only open the mike when the button is pressed, kind of a pain in the butt but will only have wind noise when your are talking to your BSR. Just don’t use the CB when using that feature as you will be having a conversation with everyone riding with you with their CB on LOL.

Thank you. That was what I thought it was. Wife and I have looked like a couple goons the last couple weeks sitting in here on the couch with our helmets on trying to figure out how to and what all these things will do. :huepfenjump3:

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »

I know the feeling, we did the same thing, there is a little too much on the headsets, you can even listen to a radio station and not even be near the bike. Just make sure you download the app on your phone and turn a lot of the features off. I also had a problem with the headset pairing to the phone instead of the bike so I had to turn off the bluetooth on my phone so it would pair to the bike. Haven’t had time to figure how to stop that but not riding now due to the weather in Ohio.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »

I know the feeling, we did the same thing, there is a little too much on the headsets, you can even listen to a radio station and not even be near the bike. Just make sure you download the app on your phone and turn a lot of the features off. I also had a problem with the headset pairing to the phone instead of the bike so I had to turn off the bluetooth on my phone so it would pair to the bike. Haven’t had time to figure how to stop that but not riding now due to the weather in Ohio.

No issue with pairing to the bike..09. All of our is bluetooth between helmets and phones. You are correct on the phone app. Without it we would probably never get the helmets paired or communicating. We are playing with the bluetooth multitasking now and this is where the wind noise that the OP was talking about may be an issue keeping the mic always open

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »

Thanks for the information....however, I don't have the option to use PTT button on the StreetGlide.....  I love the headsets, but are useless on half helmets...  Another example in my mind where HD doesn't test these systems thoroughly before selling them to the customer.   
2018 CVO StreetGlide

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »

Thanks for the information....however, I don't have the option to use PTT button on the StreetGlide.....  I love the headsets, but are useless on half helmets...  Another example in my mind where HD doesn't test these systems thoroughly before selling them to the customer.
Have you changed the VOX setting on the headsets as the VOX setting on the bike doesn’t seem to matter? Have you covered the mike opening on the back side of the boom mike under the wind sock as I cannot think of a reason they put it there other than to pick up wind noise? Also have you turned off the side tone on the headsets as that allows background noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

Have you tried using a denser mic spung (mic wind baffle) ?

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »

Yes the VOX is as low as it will go. I will try and cover that hole in front of mike and see how it works...thanks again for the input
2018 CVO StreetGlide

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »

You do know that hole should be facing you. my wife and I both use Sena 20s with Half helmets with no problems up to about 70 miles per hour. You can always use a bigger and denser wind screen.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »

You do know that hole should be facing you. my wife and I both use Sena 20s with Half helmets with no problems up to about 70 miles per hour. You can always use a bigger and denser wind screen.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »

On the 20S there are openings on both sides of the microphone. The side that should face away from you is identified by a fin.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.