Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Organic or semi sintered?  (Read 1323 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Organic or semi sintered?
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:53:17 PM »

Hello.
Bit of advice please.
In the UK EBC are a brake pad supplier (maybe so in the USA, I don't know).
They offer organic or semi sintered, any suggestions which is best option please.
JohnT
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:17:00 AM by johnmowcop »

J.D.

Re: Organic or semi sintered?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:51:52 PM »

Depends.  Do you want the softer feel of an organic or stronger bite of the sintered?  Rotor wear and dusting of concern?  Do a lot of wet weather riding?  Pad life a concern?

Both are good quality choices from a reputable brand, but like a lot of things, you give a little here to get a little there.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »

Give EBC a call, good folks to deal with. They will attempt to help steer you in the right direction. I called them once, very nice knowledgeable guy.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »

This is one of the best descriptions of the various types of brake pads available for motorcycles I've come across, taken from BikeBandit:

"So that brings us to the types of pads there are out there. Basically there are three types of pads out there: Organic, Sintered (also known as metallic), and Ceramic. However, there are also a few Semi-sintered or Semi-metallic pads out there that combine elements of both organic and sintered pads, in order to create a kind of middle ground between the two.

Sintered pads are made of metallic particles (primarily copper) fused together under heat and pressure. They are long lasting and perform well under hard use. Most brake pads, OEM and aftermarket, are sintered. Organic pads, however, also have a huge following, especially among certain riding segments, due to their unique “feel”, which is more progressive. Instead of metallic particles, organic pads use materials like aramid, carbon or Kevlar, bonded with a resin.

Organic and sintered pads both have their benefits and drawbacks. Because organic pads are softer, they have a smoother feel and are not as abrasive to expensive rotors, but they wear much faster. Sintered pads are more abrasive, wear rotors faster, and have more aggressive bite. For most riding styles, however, organic and sintered pads will perform on par with each other (except for track/racing use, where sintered pads dominate.) Overall, which one is the “right” choice will mainly come down to the rider’s preference of braking feel, and longevity.

The middle-ground option is the semi-sintered pad. Just as it sounds, these pads have characteristics of both organic and sintered pads, by adding metallic particles into their organic compound to give them a little more bite. These are a good way to try out a pad with more progressive feel, without jumping all the way over to a full organic pad.

Finally, the newest variation in the world of brake pads is the ceramic pad, which uses ceramic compounds in place of the sintered pad’s full metal compound. This allows them to handle high brake temperatures with less brake fade and to cool more quickly, and they also generate less dust and wear on both pads and rotors. However, they have less “bite” than sintered pads and less stopping power, an effect which is more noticeable in cold temperatures.
"

BTW, EBC is probably the largest motorcycle brake pad company in the world, and they offer pretty much every type and sub-type known to man.  You can't go wrong with their pads.  Give them a call if you would like their opinion on what's best for your bike and your riding style.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 08:20:07 PM »

FWIW, I have Lyndall Z-Plus on three bikes.
Carbon-Kevlar, zero dust, excellent stopping and easy on polished rotors.
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:12:44 AM »

After doing some research I'll be changing over to organic pads . I've been running sintered pads so far my front disc are good not showing any wear in 23k the rear disc does have (or rather did have as it's been replaced) far more wear then the front "lots of city riding" at the time calls for somewhat more rear pedal usage.

I'm a easy rider on the braking most of the time I use a lot of engine braking to slow down before actually applying the brakes so if the organic pads can give the rotors a bit more life I'm up for it.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »

Get the Sintered. They may wear faster but stopping faster should be your main concern. Stopping quickly and avoiding an accident is way more important than saving a few bucks. If you wreck you will spend a fortune and possibly pay with your Life!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 06:27:09 PM »

What it all boils down to is you should research the different types of braking pads that are out there that suits your style of riding.

Organic,  Ceramic,  Sintered,  Semi-Sintered,  Metallic,  Semi-Metalic  etc.

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.