Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Resource to sell a bike?  (Read 1367 times)

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Best Resource to sell a bike?
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »

Hey guys, unfortunately we find ourselves in a situation where we have to let our 2017 CVO Limited go in order to make room in the budget for a more family-friendly option (we recently took custody of a 5 year old child, and although we will always have a runaround bike, there will be no cross-country bike trips in our immediate future.  Does anyone have any ideas/experiences/suggestions on the best way to sell our bike for the best return?     
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Best Resource to sell a bike?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »

List of here, Craigslist, and Cycle Trader.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 06:03:52 AM »

Check with your local dealers and see if they will take on consignment ? This way you will get the most money back and they can also finance the bike that helps a lot on a bike @ that price. I did this many times and always work out very good.

Dante
DND

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »

Most dealers will finance regardless whether the bike was with them for consignment or not.  Don't know how it is now what with bike sales down and all but might have difficulty finding dealer willing to consign as they want to sell their own inventory. 

When I sold my '07 a couple years ago I tried several sites.  Never ever got any inquiries from Cycle Trader.  Too many bike listed there imo.  I did have great success with this:  http://www.hd4sale.com/

Disclaimer:  I am not in any way affiliated with hd4sale.  Just sayin' they got my bike sold. 

Good luck.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »

I sold a bike on eBay motors.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 02:30:59 AM »

Watch out for the "Craigslist Scam" as I call it.  Goes something like this:  Soon after listing it on Craigslist, you get call, text, or email showing interest, often ask if you still have it, and re-phrase your description--you say "good condition" in ad, they ask if it's in GC.  You say yes and yes. 

Then they say they're "somewhere" too far away to look at it, like other side of country or deployed overseas, they'll take it right now and will send movers to pick it up, and want to pay with PayPal.  When you say cash or certified check, they say they've been burned both ways, so they use PP now.

As I understand it (haven't gotten that far), the scam is to pay you and pick up the bike/car...and then, somehow,using PP rules and claiming the item isn't "as advertised" they reverse the payment...and they have both the money and the item.  You're SOL.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »

I have sold many bikes and boats via consignment at a dealers location.  The advantage is you don't have to deal with all the people, people calling and coming to your home and then wait for money etc. The dealers handle all this for you. The speed of the sale is all around the price and the dealer will also help guide you.  The dealers can make easy money on these deals so they like it. 

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »

I tried cyletrader ad it worked well

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

I will give the dealer a call today and see what they say.  Their current online inventory doesn't show any CVO's in stock, new or used, so that might be attractive for them, plus there is still factory warranty on it.  Has anyone tried RumbleOn?  I have seen some ads for them, but most of the reviews that come up in searches are associated directly with them. 
Red Knights MAL

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »

I have a close friend whose son just started with RumbleOn. They will offer better than a dealer wholesale, but still on the low end of retail...as they stil have to make $$ on resale. That said, CVO’s have a higher depreciation rate than standard bikes. Those who can afford them generally buy every 2-3 years and can afford the hit for their next “best bike ever”.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »

So here is the latest:  The dealer where I bought the bike doesn't do consignments, and isn't interested in buying anything at this time, but said if they were, they would be in the $26k range for an outright purchase or $29.5k for a trade towards another bike.  I looked into RumbleOn and they gave me an offer of $22.5k.  I have another dealer fairly close and I am going to hit them up this morning after they open, since their website says they are actively buying bikes for the spring season.   
Red Knights MAL

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »

Let us know what they say. I hope it works out for you.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »

Latest Update:  Second dealer was buying bikes, but said it was too new and would conflict with current year models on the floor right now.  But did say that the best he could do IF and only IF he decided he would go out on a limb, would be $25k (coincidentally the payoff amount of the bike).  I wasn't expecting to get my money back on the bike, but was hoping to at least walk away with a little cash in my pocket to put towards my next adventure. 
Red Knights MAL

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »

I can see where a 2017 maybe a little too new for a dealer.  It still seems a little low for a trade in price.   It is easier and maybe faster.  Do you have any used motorcycle dealers in the area that you could ask?  It all depends on how fast you want to move the bike.

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 21 queries.