Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harley in the news  (Read 1713 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Bill

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: Harley in the news
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »

Hmmmmmm. :confused5:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »

Grimmer's resume includes a stint at Clif Bar, Plum Organics, Campbell Soup, and he was Founder and CEO of Habit, the world's first personalized nutrition life science company.  All food companies. 

Yep, with a background like that he is a great fit for HD.  Not.  I saw this over & over in companies I worked for.  Some guy with ZERO industry experience is given a huge job with a monster budget & they try to market a MC company like a soup company or some such crap because that is their background & that is what they know.

Harley's new ad campaign "Harley Davidson is Mmmmmm mmmmm good!".

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:09:01 AM »

Grimmer's resume includes a stint at Clif Bar, Plum Organics, Campbell Soup, and he was Founder and CEO of Habit, the world's first personalized nutrition life science company.  All food companies. 

Yep, with a background like that he is a great fit for HD.  Not.  I saw this over & over in companies I worked for.  Some guy with ZERO industry experience is given a huge job with a monster budget & they try to market a MC company like a soup company or some such crap because that is their background & that is what they know.

Harley's new ad campaign "Harley Davidson is Mmmmmm mmmmm good!".

Well said.....and true

mark

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »

How do you sell motorcycles to the next generation?  Hire a soup and cereal bar salesman.  We all know how crazy millennials are for soup and nutrition.     

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »

I've always said, build a good product at a reasonable price and people will come. No need for all the marketing strategies / hoopla....guess that's not the case here.  Soups on!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:08:28 AM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »

Harley has some of the best marketing in the world and it does not cost them a dime (people even pay them to do it for them).  Look at all of the stickers, tattoos, clothing, etc. that is freely worn.  I would say that Harley gets more free marketing then any other company in the world.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »

I agree that H-D has great brand recognition by all the marketing it has done over the years but it has locked itself into it's traditional look,sound, and history. Everyone world wide probably recognizes the bar and shield and other aspects of Harley. Us baby boomers drank plenty of the koolaid in the past and love the nostalgia but we are aging out or just plain dying off.
I can see that in order to survive as a company H-D will need to ask the hard questions of the younger people and see what would make them buy a Harley and also overcome the years of negative messaging about motorcycles in general being dangerous "murder cycles or donorcycles" or brand specifically that Harleys were for old men and were expensive, stuck with old technology, prone to breakdown and other bad comments.
It may mean that H-D needs to produce an affordable, up to date in performance and technology bike that is just turn key so the new owners can just walk in and buy one and ride out without needing the 300+ page accessories catalog.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

This was the most interesting take-away from the article (for me):

"Grimmer will bring together our consumer facing teams around the world who will together invigorate the Harley-Davidson consumer experience and deliver a global brand force that resonates with new riders and engages today's riders to support our growth going forward."

The PR to English translator would render that as something like:

"Grimmer will work so that all within the company will (again) try to put a shining face on a company and its product line with the hope of better luring new markets because the main product line of that company can no longer carry its own water."

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »

"No Soup for you!!!!" campaign?     :nixweiss:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

I've always said, build a good product at a reasonable price and people will come. No need for all the marketing strategies / hoopla....guess that's not the case here.  Soups on!

True. But then again you can sell anything with the right marketing. Anyone else remember the "Pet Rock" in the 70's?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »

Looks like HD has hired a guy with a background in "warm and fuzzy feelings" to market MoCo to Millennials--like pajama boys, Litas, and soy boys--bc that's the population that's coming to (relative) maturity.  To the "true-believers" in marketing, you can sell anything to people if you market it correctly.  Like bigchuck said, remember the Pet Rock...
If you want peace, prepare for war.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

Marketing can be short term like the Pet Rock sales were or it could be longer term like Bicycle Playing cards or Monopoly.....Question would be which goal is the management shooting for, quick flash in the pan profits and leave or stay around and make a lasting company. Been a long time since the higher ups were long term H-D customers or employees so I'm not sure they have the product loyalty anymore.
They need a marketing program like what Oldsmobile tried years ago "This is not your father's Oldsmobile!"
I guess to interest the younger folk they will need something like "This is not your grandfather's Harley!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »

Oldsmobile is certainly a made-me-laugh example for today's Harley..... :huepfenlol2:

mark

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »

Marketing can be short term like the Pet Rock sales were or it could be longer term like Bicycle Playing cards or Monopoly.....Question would be which goal is the management shooting for, quick flash in the pan profits and leave or stay around and make a lasting company. Been a long time since the higher ups were long term H-D customers or employees so I'm not sure they have the product loyalty anymore.
They need a marketing program like what Oldsmobile tried years ago "This is not your father's Oldsmobile!"
I guess to interest the younger folk they will need something like "This is not your grandfather's Harley!"
Hopefully, HD marketing will not use the same strategy as a failed car company.  But, the MoCo is betting on a soup salesman to turn things around, so anything is possible.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »

They need to treat it (MoCo) like the legacy Motorcycle company that it is and not your everyday a typical product company.  Their Management sourcing however says otherwise!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 21 queries.