Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs  (Read 2132 times)

Jeff Grube

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »

Does anyone know what the correct NGK Iridium spark plug would be for a 2018 Ultra CVO?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »

I looked on their fitment chart and, maybe I overlooked it, but I do not see a Iridum listed for HD. Car look-up is simple and you can choose which of there products you want. Bikes show standard plug only on chart I was on and I saw no listing above 2011?
Probably just me. i am good with the standard HD plugs so I didn't dig to deep.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »

The standard plugs are Harley part number 31600012.  They are made by Champion and are Champion part number RG6HCC.  Digging around on the net I come up with CR9EIX as the NGK Iridium equivalent to the Champion RG6HCC.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jeff Grube

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »

I put NGK Iridiums in my 2013 Ultra CVO and really noticed a difference.  I looks like the Iridium plug for the big displacement motors is CR9EIX, part #3521.  I'm going to contact NGK this week to make certain.  They also last forever which is nice with the four plug motors so you don't need to take the tank off as often.

Thank you for the replies.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:01:04 PM »

Curious as to what the difference you noticed after installing Iridium plugs? Assuming you had the same heat range and changed to that same heat range, what could the Iridium do other than last longer?

Jeff Grube

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:50:01 AM »

When I put the Iridiums in my 2013 Ultra CVO I instantly nitced quicker starting and better performance.  They claim smoother idle and increased fuel economy.  I don't pay attention to gas mileage but I can agree with the smoother idle.  They're cheap enough to get them a try.  You won't be disappointed.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »

During my dirt bike days - 1970s mostly - we experimented a lot with spark plugs on 2 cycle bikes.  One bike used surface gap plugs, used them a lot because when they fouled they were very easy to clean.  Gold/platinum plugs worked better than stock & everyone I rode with carried an extra set or 2 because it was easier to swap plugs than stop & clean & re-gap hot plugs.

Got my first HD in 2001 & after cams & an 88 to 95 upgrade I tried a few different plugs including the NGK iridium.  Other than the claim they last longer could not tell any difference on NGK Iridium when compared to other stock brand new plugs.  New plugs did seem to make a difference - not on gas mileage or power - but on starting ease & smoother idle.

Other's results will vary, no doubt.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »

Spark plugs have been around forever. Kinda like a round wheel. I've NEVER found any magic by trying the latest super duper advertised spark plugs, other than lightening your wallet. If you feel a difference, you probably needed new plugs. I've done a crazy amount of A, B, testing on the dyno over the years, with no real differences in power after the first few pulls. Changing gap widths when using high compression, some gain or loss, but brand or type doesn't make any difference on that test.
Air fuel mixture, timing, and ignition controlling are the heavy hitters that will make the difference. :o
John

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »

NGK iridium plugs WILL increase your performance if used with the correct oil  .
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »

NGK iridium plugs WILL increase your performance if used with the correct oil  .
Don't forget to add/use non-ethanol race fuel too.  :D ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »

The spark plug industry has been introducing different designs since the industry was invented, and they always claimed their latest design gave improved performance over the competitors.  It's the nature of the business.  Funny thing though, most vehicles still come from the factory with standard style plugs (but with platinum electrodes in the auto industry).  The only thing that has actually improved ignition system performance over the years is the massive improvement in voltage output along with the more accurate and reliable electronics.  A good high output secondary ignition system will provide a good spark even with worn plugs & slightly wider than normal gaps, no matter what style plug is being used. 

The big difference with platinum or iridium plugs relates to longevity, with electrodes that erode more slowly and thus maintain performance for longer mileage intervals.  That's what makes 100,000 mile plug change intervals possible.  If you compare new standard style plugs and new iridium or platinum plugs in the same vehicle, there will be no difference in performance.  If you compare them again when each has 40,000 miles of use, then you will see a difference. The fine wire electrode style has an additional advantage of a lower voltage requirement to fire, which makes no difference when compared to a regular plug when new but can make a significant difference when the plugs have a lot of miles on them.  So in conclusion, the style of plug makes no difference in performance when new, but differences will emerge over time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:31:27 PM »

Jerry nailed it.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »

My `15 S.E.S.G. performance diminished after `7-8 k miles developed a misfire on a normal takeoff, did not know at the time and surprised to learn that H.D. sends out a C.V.O. with standard basic copper core plugs I believe.

Located my motorcycle Iridium  product numbers from NGK website and crossed the O.E. factory numbers from the various make of bikes I own. Bought the NGKs for my Harley from Amazon I believe.

There is a Orielly`s near my home that can get them, but more expensive and confusing to look up for the parts guys; b/c this auto store uses a stocking number to look up  their NGK numbers instead of what I am familiar with for example a " CR9EIX" # that is for  the above `13 C.V.O. Ultra.

Used Iridiums on all of my bikes all makes for more than 13 + years with the same long lasting and consistaint engine performance as everyone mentioned above.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.