Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reinhart True Duals - How longe before rear flange failure???  (Read 1395 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF

I just purchased a 03 SERK w/740mi on it that had the True Duals Installed back in 03 , after that the bike was on display in a private collection.

A few weeks ago I saw a lot of posts about the rear header flange breaking off. So I wrote Reinhart and explained that I was worried about my basically brand new exhaust system.

I got a letter right back saying that they will be sending me a new rear header assembly (that was OUTSTANDING) but it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get here.

So my concern is how long did others TRue Duals hold up before the failure? Also does it start to leak first and them let go or just let go with no warning?

Its the riding season but I want to error on the side of caution as I have heard that when the rear head pipe lets go it can burn the primarys chorme and motor paint.

TIA,
John 

JR

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Reinhart True Duals - How longe before rear flange failure???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »

John, most reports I remember of the problem were after several thousand miles, say 5 - 10,000, sometimes many more or never at all, and maybe a few here or there at fewer miles.  When they go, they go without warning, but chances are, you should be fine until your replacement arrives.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:48:23 AM »

My Reinharts are going on 3 years old and 15,000 miles with the old mounting system...not problems.  Damn, I probably justs cursed myself  :o
Scrrem

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:17:15 AM »

I also have an '03 SERK with Rineharts with the old style mounting bracket  that have 30,000 miles on them with no problems.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »

I just purchased a 03 SERK w/740mi on it that had the True Duals Installed back in 03 , after that the bike was on display in a private collection.

A few weeks ago I saw a lot of posts about the rear header flange breaking off. So I wrote Reinhart and explained that I was worried about my basically brand new exhaust system.

I got a letter right back saying that they will be sending me a new rear header assembly (that was OUTSTANDING) but it will take 3 or 4 weeks to get here.

So my concern is how long did others TRue Duals hold up before the failure? Also does it start to leak first and them let go or just let go with no warning?

Its the riding season but I want to error on the side of caution as I have heard that when the rear head pipe lets go it can burn the primarys chorme and motor paint.

TIA,
John 

Had one of the very first sets of Rineharts on my 02 RK Classic.  Rear bracket broke after about 10k - blew a hole in the rear header from the stress.  No damage to bike just loud as hell for the ride home.  Bub sent replacements ASAP - called them Monday and was riding by that Friday.  Then that bracket was also failing so they sent another the next year.  Been ok since.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »

John;
There is something you can do to prevent the break. There is a single bolt holding the pipe to the bracket at the starter. This bolt should be just hand tight. This will allow a slight amount of movement and take the stress off of the pipe itself. You can use a nylock nut or locking nut to prevent it from falling off.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:38:55 AM »

John;
There is something you can do to prevent the break. There is a single bolt holding the pipe to the bracket at the starter. This bolt should be just hand tight. This will allow a slight amount of movement and take the stress off of the pipe itself. You can use a nylock nut or locking nut to prevent it from falling off.

Thanks, perhaps just back it off and use some blue locktight?
JR

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:38 AM »

Thanks, perhaps just back it off and use some blue locktight?

That should work as well, keep an eye on it though...

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.